• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Hi everyone, a quick question.

Would the WiiM amp be able to drive a pair of Revel M106 speakers? Used in a room 3m x 5m, but at a distance of around 1.25m. I never listen at ear-bleeding loud levels.

WiiM Amp spec:

Revel M106 spec:

Many thanks.

Prowler_88

Would the WiiM amp be able to drive a pair of Revel M106 speakers? Used in a room 3m x 5m, but at a distance of around 1.25m. I never listen at ear-bleeding loud levels.

WiiM Amp spec:

Revel M106 spec:

Many thanks.
If you’re not going to large party levels then yes fine. I’ve tried mine with a pair of MA Silver 50s and Triangle BR03s. Plenty of drive with both although the BR03s are more sensitive so do hit volume easier.

Brantome

Major Contributor

Prowler_88

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning

WiiM Amp spec:

Revel M106 spec:

Many thanks.
My Elac DBR62 get plenty loud and are a bit harder to drive. You can also add a sub if you want music festival loudness.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve now exhausted all options on the TV and amp..nothing. Stick with optical for now and return to it later.
Are you sure your tv supports ARC on the input you are using - some restrict it just to one of the HDMI connectors - some don't support it at all.

pipomolo42

So, I finally picked mine up from the post office this saturday. I ordered it from easylounge.com (in France) on oct. 23, it was shipped on dec. 29 and arrived on jan. 2, but I was away and couldn't pick it up earlier. There was no sign of damage on the outside of the box, or on the cardboard inlays.

It updated to firmware 5.0.603548 on first boot, and it's showing up as PCB_version 4.

I initially didn't hear any humming during the first 30 minutes of playing with it, but after about 2 hours, I could clearly identify a coil whine. I'd say it's audible up to a distance between 50 cm to 1.5 meters, depending on the time of day, and related background noise level (I live on the 4th floor, but there's a busy square and a bit of traffic downstairs).

I'd say that unless I move to the countryside, I think I could live with it. Especially taking into account the quality of the software and the amount of support and fixes provided by the manufacturer.
edit: I think I could live with it… at least during day time, at night, it's a bit more annoying actually.

Here's a recording I made with a Galaxy S10 and the default recording app, pointed at the left side of the device, and 5 cm away: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W2fIMw3QH9GpAa4teSI6JA5I5u2_kxcv/view

Last edited:

Smitty2k1

So, I finally picked mine up from the post office this saturday. I ordered it from easylounge.com (in France) on oct. 23, it was shipped on dec. 29 and arrived on jan. 2, but I was away and couldn't pick it up earlier. There was no sign of damage on the outside of the box, or on the cardboard inlays.

It updated to firmware 5.0.603548 on first boot, and it's showing up as PCB_version 4.

I initially didn't hear any humming during the first 30 minutes of playing with it, but after about 2 hours, I could clearly identify a coil whine. I'd say it's audible up to a distance between 50 cm to 1.5 meters, depending on the time of day, and related background noise level (I live on the 4th floor, but there's a busy square and a bit of traffic downstairs).

I'd say that unless I move to the countryside, I think I could live with it. Especially taking into account the quality of the software and the amount of support and fixes provided by the manufacturer.
edit: I think I could live with it… at least during day time, at night, it's a bit more annoying actually.

Here's a recording I made with a Galaxy S10 and the default recording app, pointed at the left side of the device, and 5 cm away: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W2fIMw3QH9GpAa4teSI6JA5I5u2_kxcv/view
Why not contact Wiim? Seems they have acknowledged this and I assume will offer a replacement?

s0nix

Why not contact Wiim? Seems they have acknowledged this and I assume will offer a replacement?
Probably would need to wait for another 1-2 months for the replacement XD. I would hope they'll let you use the 'defective' amp until a new one is available.

Smitty2k1

Probably would need to wait for another 1-2 months for the replacement XD. I would hope they'll let you use the 'defective' amp until a new one is available.
Almost certainly would....

wilkman

Same here, PCB=4 and in the beginning the coil whine is really low but it get's higher after a while so that I can hear 2-3- meters away.
Additionally I still have issues with HDMI ARC as described before (LG OLED C9). By activating the optical auto sense feature, the amp switches on after a while (but takes a bit too long for me) and sometimes it won't wake up at all. In that case it's quite hard to get sound out of it - even when I switch it on manually and change all settings correctly in the app. The only solution is to go into the audio settings of the TV and switch the audio out channel back to TV out or optical and then back to HDMI out. Afterwards the amp starts with the output.

I think I'll send it back and wait and see if all these issues will be fixed in future. Because on the other hand the device is exactly what I need: nice design and build quality, good sound and connectivity and a reasonable price.

pipomolo42

Yep, up until yesterday evening, I was hesitant, as I wanted to spare myself the trouble, but after the tv session in the evening, I made up my mind and I'll contact them.

bcfc

This humming sound for everyone who bought an amplifier WIIM?
Or does it depend on the sensitivity of the speakers? Or are they still separate defective devices?

pipomolo42

Is this humming sound for everyone who bought an amplifier WIIM?
Or does it depend on the sensitivity of the speakers? Or are they still separate defective devices?
It's not coming from the speakers, but from the transformers of the internal power supply
And it depends on how much power is drawn, the frequency is lower when the amp is in standby.
Same here, PCB=4 and in the beginning the coil whine is really low but it get's higher after a while so that I can hear 2-3- meters away.
Additionally I still have issues with HDMI ARC as described before (LG OLED C9). By activating the optical auto sense feature, the amp switches on after a while (but takes a bit too long for me) and sometimes it won't wake up at all. In that case it's quite hard to get sound out of it - even when I switch it on manually and change all settings correctly in the app. The only solution is to go into the audio settings of the TV and switch the audio out channel back to TV out or optical and then back to HDMI out. Afterwards the amp starts with the output.

I think I'll send it back and wait and see if all these issues will be fixed in future. Because on the other hand the device is exactly what I need: nice design and build quality, good sound and connectivity and a reasonable price.
I have a 10 years old Panasonic TV (L32E6E), and HDMI ARC and CEC (for volume) are working "fine". Optical In auto detect is enabled, and the amp wakes up 15 seconds after the TV is woken up.

Edit: I've also disabled the auto detect option then rebooted the Amp, it still wakes up after 15 seconds when I wake the TV up. In my case, the TV is woken up by a Nvidia Shield via CEC, and I move the cursor around on the launcher to make sure it emits sound (actually, I'm using the Shield "play comfort noise on HDMI" option, so that last bit probably does nothing).

Last edited:

wilkman

It's not coming from the speakers, but from the transformers of the internal power supply

I have a 10 years old Panasonic TV (L32E6E), and HDMI ARC and CEC (for volume) are working "fine". Optical In auto detect is enabled, and the amp wakes up 15 seconds after the TV is woken up.
Yes, CEC is also working but sometimes there's no auto detection and no sound is audible as described in my comment above.
I guess it's an incompatibility with my TV - as far as I know, HDMI/ARC is treated differently from manufacturer to manufacturer.

bcfc

I guess it's an incompatibility with my TV - as far as I know, HDMI/ARC is treated differently from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Most likely this is a curve implementing CEC from the Wiim company, since if you connect any sound bar, it will turn on simultaneously with the TV.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what you lot are complaining about. In a former life I project managed the development of high power motor drives. Our first 90kW drive had a DC link choke in it (Inductor between rectifier and capacitors to smooth the current waveform). In our first prototype the choke literally howled - probably around 90dB. It was necessary to wear ear defenders to be in the same room as it.

:p

(It actually turned out not to be the choke itself, but a piece of sheet steel sitting close to the choke being pulled about by the magnetic field)

Top Bottom