• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

bcfc

So I want to understand whether everyone has such noise from the amplifier or not when it is operating.

SD2KING

So I want to understand whether everyone has such noise from the amplifier or not when it is operating.
The Amp is sitting in our office, with my laptop fan making noise like it is about to take off. Just went over to it to check if it was still making noise.. got close enough for my beard to get shocked. I can say with confidence that it also whines.

As for @ninetylol 's response, I personally haven't read any posts of someone explicitly sharing they do not have the issue. Have you?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Amp is sitting in our office, with my laptop fan making noise like it is about to take off. Just went over to it to check if it was still making noise.. got close enough for my beard to get shocked. I can say with confidence that it also whines.

As for @ninetylol 's response, I personally haven't read any posts of someone explicitly sharing they do not have the issue. Have you?

I'll check my serial. My unit has no humming, static or noise coming from speakers without playing anything. I guess I got the second batch. Received two weeks ago from Amazon.

Alright, my device arrived today. Coil Wine is a minor issue for now as i can only hear it when I'm max. 20 cm away and the room is quiet.
I have another question: I'm wondering if there's no HDMI Arc Handshake so that the Amp will automatically switch on and change to the HDMI port automatically when switching on the TV with the remote control. It doesn't seem to work with my LG OLED C9. I need to change the source manually to HDMI in the app or by rc.

Is that not supported by the amp or can I change it somewhere? Thanks for hints.

Mine is also very quiet and not really audible under normal conditions.

Also people with positive impressions wont mostly post about that issue. Keyword negativity bias.

Prowler_88

I can hear the faintest of whines at about 5cm from the amp. Not a concern for me - totally inaudible at about 20cm away - and a lot quieter than the transformer hum I've had from a host of Cambridge Audio amps, which were all audible at my listening position.

Still not solved the HMDI ARC issue entirely. Sometimes it kicks in and other times I get nothing until I've done a full power cycle of all kit. CEC working fine throughout so I can change the amp volume with the TV remote, but getting sound to come out is about 80% hit 20% miss.

bcfc

I personally haven't read any posts of someone explicitly sharing they do not have the issue. Have you?
Thank you for answer. I think buy or not buy wiim amp, if amplifier have this problem

xSDMx

Same here, PCB=4 and in the beginning the coil whine is really low but it get's higher after a while so that I can hear 2-3- meters away.
Additionally I still have issues with HDMI ARC as described before (LG OLED C9). By activating the optical auto sense feature, the amp switches on after a while (but takes a bit too long for me) and sometimes it won't wake up at all. In that case it's quite hard to get sound out of it - even when I switch it on manually and change all settings correctly in the app. The only solution is to go into the audio settings of the TV and switch the audio out channel back to TV out or optical and then back to HDMI out. Afterwards the amp starts with the output.

I think I'll send it back and wait and see if all these issues will be fixed in future. Because on the other hand the device is exactly what I need: nice design and build quality, good sound and connectivity and a reasonable price.
My TV is an LG C9 55" and my WiiM Amp consistently wakes up 100% of the time after about 10s of continuous audio playback from my Nvidia Shield no matter the app with both optical and line-in auto sense enabled. Maybe it's not your TV nor the WiiM Amp, but it's your source that's problematic?

Kabeltrommel

So my two units that i bought for 299€ / unit have been shipped. Hope that Wiim will keep its promise to replace units that are (still) affected by this issue.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
So my two units that i bought for 299€ / unit have been shipped. Hope that Wiim will keep its promise to replace units that are (still) affected by this issue.

You hope? Legally, they have to. Or at least the retailer has to replace it.

Well, that’s in both the UK and EU, perhaps I’d be wrong to presume on other jurisdictions.

bcfc

So if all wiim amplifiers hum during operation, then the company will have nothing to replace you with.

xSDMx

So if all wiim amplifiers hum during operation, then the company will have nothing to replace you with.
Supposedly they've revised the power PCB to resolve the issue going forward.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You hope? Legally, they have to. Or at least the retailer has to replace it.

Well, that’s in both the UK and EU, perhaps I’d be wrong to presume on other jurisdictions.
Only if deemed to be (legally) , not fit for purpose, or of unsatisfactory quality, or not as described.

I think from a legal basis, for any noise below the level of audibility when listening to music (if it went so far) might not jump that hurdle in court.

Lets hope Wiim do the right thing, so it doesn't have to be tested. :)

wilkman

My TV is an LG C9 55" and my WiiM Amp consistently wakes up 100% of the time after about 10s of continuous audio playback from my Nvidia Shield no matter the app with both optical and line-in auto sense enabled. Maybe it's not your TV nor the WiiM Amp, but it's your source that's problemati what exactly
What exactly do you mean with source?

xSDMx

What exactly do you mean with source?
The device that's generating the audio signal. My Nvidia shield, an apple tv, a blue ray player, etc. HDMI ARC is a multi device system. The source generates audio that is passed to the TV that the TV then sends to the amp. The entire chain is involved in the HDMI handshake process. I suggest this, because my LG C9 works fine with the WiiM amp and my Nvidia shield.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
The device that's generating the audio signal. My Nvidia shield, an apple tv, a blue ray player, etc. HDMI ARC is a multi device system. The source generates audio that is passed to the TV that the TV then sends to the amp. The entire chain is involved in the HDMI handshake process. I suggest this, because my LG C9 works fine with the WiiM amp and my Nvidia shield.
The TV *is* the source if you're watching over-the-air broadcast, or any streaming source from the TV OS (Netflix via WebOS in the LG case, for example).

xSDMx

The TV *is* the source if you're watching over-the-air broadcast, or any streaming source from the TV OS (Netflix via WebOS in the LG case, for example).
Tru, I just assume most folks are bypassing their TV OS at this point.

Prowler_88

Tru, I just assume most folks are bypassing their TV OS at this point.
Why on earth would they do that when most TV OS's are quicker to get to the key services (Netlfix, Prime, Disney Plus) than any other source, and usually at the highest quality? Everyone I know personally uses their TV rather than an external source.

pipomolo42

Why on earth would they do that when most TV OS's are quicker to get to the key services (Netlfix, Prime, Disney Plus) than any other source, and usually at the highest quality? Everyone I know personally uses their TV rather than an external source.
I for one don't want to replace my TV every 3 years because the manufacturer has decided to stop supporting it.
I have a 2015 Shield, and it still receives updates. Can't say the same for a lot of consumer electronics.

Top Bottom