• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What does ‘Precision’ moniker on some Accuphase products mean

Lopsided

Forum Donor
A7F37607-B866-46A1-B258-51D7D6164195.jpeg
F311EBA1-6A7A-45D2-BDBC-D09B55BFBD79.jpeg
I noticed some products in Accuphase lineup bear ‘precision’ moniker, while offering very similar specs and functionalities. Is there any criterion that makes a ‘precision’ product? Like special construction method or technology? Or conversly, what makes an entry level product not as ‘precise’?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 213560View attachment 213559I noticed some products in Accuphase lineup bear ‘precision’ moniker, while offering very similar specs and functionalities. Is there any criterion that makes a ‘precision’ product? Like special construction method or technology? Or conversly, what makes an entry level product not as ‘precise’?
The first clue will be found in the magnitude of the number to the left of the comma in the purchase price.

Stano

View attachment 213560View attachment 213559I noticed some products in Accuphase lineup bear ‘precision’ moniker, while offering very similar specs and functionalities. Is there any criterion that makes a ‘precision’ product? Like special construction method or technology? Or conversly, what makes an entry level product not as ‘precise’?
Hey mate, did you ever find an answer, I’m also curious!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sales talk for inconsequential small differences so they can sell a product for a higher price.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s just how they tier things.

E5000 is precision and E4000 isn’t. The E4000 is considered the 12th generation of the “core” line and they say 20% lower noise than the E-480.

IMG_3717.jpeg

IMG_3718.jpeg

But it’s only for a given generation. The E600 was a “precision” model in 2013 but it has more noise than the current E4000.

Maybe a good comparison is the “GT3” moniker for the Porsche 911. It tells you that it has more performance than the plain one that isn’t a GT3, but a 911 GT3 from 2003 won’t be as nice as plain 2024 911.

So a 2024 Precision Accuphase against a 2024 core Accuphase is different than a vintage Precision Accuphase.

The E-270 didn’t do great here but is one of the highest class AB amps tested here. The official specifications of the E-270 is pretty lousy since they made a big jump in performance with the E280 and if you look at something like the E-5000, you can get really impressive measurements.

As @dualazmak will tell you, part of the cost of Accuphase isn’t the performance — it’s the customer service. They keep inventory of spare parts for an extended period of time and pick the amplifier up from you if you need service (if you live in Japan). When there have been major natural disasters, they have offered free/subsidized repairs for Accuphase owners, digging into the “insurance” you prepaid as the original purchaser of the Accuphase.

Since they are privately held and basically have no interest in expanding/growing if it adds risk to the financial stability of the company, so they make what they make to stay profitable and charge what they need to stay profitable and keep the lights on. So far, the demand is kept up with their asking price.

Last edited:

Stano

It’s just how they tier things.

E5000 is precision and E4000 isn’t. The E4000 is considered the 12th generation of the “core” line and they say 20% lower noise than the E-480.

View attachment 365752
View attachment 365753

But it’s only for a given generation. The E600 was a “precision” model in 2013 but it has more noise than the current E4000.

Maybe a good comparison is the “GT3” moniker for the Porsche 911. It tells you that it has more performance than the plain one that isn’t a GT3, but a 911 GT3 from 2003 won’t be as nice as plain 2024 911
Thanks for the reply mate , I’m in the process of upgrading from the e4000 to the e5000

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply mate , I’m in the process of upgrading from the e4000 to the e5000

Where do you live? I think getting the units measured would be a great help to the members here and for really exotic stuff, Amir usually can push you to the front of the line for a quick turnaround.

Stano

Where do you live? I think getting the units measured would be a great help to the members here and for really exotic stuff, Amir usually can push you to the front of the line for a quick turnaround.
Yeah I thought exactly the same and I would love to give both to him to try ( before I trade in) , however I live in Australia, I spoke with Amirn before I purchased the e4000 a few weeks ago, I went against Amir recommendation to consider a class D and still went a head with the massive purchase ( I’m not rich, just have problems prioritizing finances) . I fell in love in the first note I listened to, after 4 weeks I now want the flag ship e5000, because it will be for life….i just need to advice on a DAC and streamer to match ( I am a novice and learning a lot quickly) i still need to learn more about pairing a DAC and streamer to do the e5000 .

Stano

Hey if Amirm or anyone has contacts in Australia who can do the same test , and may be Amirn can help remotely , I would be more than happy help and loan the e5000 for testing and help share the data regardless of the outcome..

solderdude

Grand Contributor
now want the flag ship e5000, because it will be for life….i just need to advice on a DAC and streamer to match ( I am a novice and learning a lot quickly) .

Why not keep using the e4000 till it breaks or starts giving problems and then buy the newest and greatest device that will have better specs, is more up to date ?

Stano

Why not keep using the e4000 till it breaks or starts giving problems and then buy the newest and greatest device that will have better specs, is more up to date ?
I can get the good trade in from the same dealer same as what I paid for the e4000. I’m certain the e5000 will be my end game clas a/b amp ,

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Then just buy the e5000 ?

Top Bottom