• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Vizio is the #1 selling brand for soundbars in America.
It would be interesting to test the included subwoofers in these units and the “wireless” surrounds.
Here's the stats from current top 50 best-selling soundbars on amazon.com:

2 of top 50 = Klipsch, JBL, Sony
3 of top 50 = Yamaha
4 of top 50 = Vizio, TCL
5 of top 50 = Samsung
6 of top 50 = Bose
22 of top 50 = Generic China brands (clones?)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

3 of top 50 = Yamaha
4 of top 50 = Vizio, TCL
5 of top 50 = Samsung
6 of top 50 = Bose
Vizio has the Walmart & BestBuy sales though. They’ve advertised being the #1 seller for years.

Nango

Major Contributor
It depends on how many radiating elements it has per channel. If it has a large array then it may be difficult. Is there such a thing as the most popular soundbar?
I don't own such a soundbar but noticed they are becoming very common and are often advertised as a substitute to the speakers.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor

3 of top 50 = Yamaha
4 of top 50 = Vizio, TCL
5 of top 50 = Samsung
6 of top 50 = Bose
I'd prolly throw in something from Sonos because people who are in that ecosystem seem to keep buying from it. Also, not sure of their status as a brand but TaoTronics seem to be gaining a legit reputation over time via rtings.com and other word-of-mouth review sources even though they're more like Panasonic than a typical A/V company. My first exposure to them was with a portable LED desk lamp.

My bet is that most of the soundbars within a given class are going to turn in similar performance with few standouts in either direction. I've been impressed by some given the price and size, but then again I was also impressed by the Bose Acoustimass kiosk at Best Buy back in the day. :D

relmu

Me encantaría leer una reseña del KRK classic, por favor! Será muy apreciada!!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Me encantaría leer una reseña del KRK classic, por favor! Será muy apreciada!!!
I have KRK Classic 5 that I will be testing soon.

samwell7

I have KRK Classic 5 that I will be testing soon.
That'd be great! Had a set of them years ago and they were quite enjoyable for listening, not ideal as studio monitors because the midbass was a little boosted IIRC.
I'm almost tempted to get a set again for my desk but I'll wait to see how they measure because I think my tastes have changed.

SirYabadaba

I am thinking it may make sense to buy a few budget but popular speakers to test. Or alternatively members buying and donating them to be tested. :)

So what is "in" these days as far as budget speakers? I am thinking under $200 for a pair.
I'd love to see you do a review of polk audio tsi 200's. I had to sell them for my move so right now I have a stack I'm using with just my headphones. The 200's were my first proper pair of speakers so I don't really have much perspective, but when I heard their beautiful midrange I fell in love. I'd like to see if buying a new pair of 200's is the best move, or if I should try something else out for the same money. Your reviews are so detailed, it would really help me out a lot in helping make my decision. I just made an account today just to put in my two cents.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does it mean we will never see the HS-7?
With my money, no. :) But new speakers constantly come in for testing so it may be in our future.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Does it mean we will never see the HS-7?
HS8 is the more popular choice. Yamaha's marketing must have cranked to 11 some time around 2013 because in my city all of the older local musicians with project studios suddenly upgraded to them all at once. I've never heard them in a good room but all of the pairs I have heard were super shouty in the sensitivity range. Couldn't mix on them.

I'd like to see more of the budget tower/floorstanding speakers. And maybe with a "tower" or "floorstanding" tag in the title so we can differentiate. It doesn't really make sense but I don't have it in the cards to add a subwoofer, but I would be more able to buy a reasonably good budget floorstander.

Top Bottom