• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, reviewed in Audioholics.com. The towers here , and here the bookshelves.
IIRC there is also a mod for the towers by @Dennis Murphy somewhere in their forum.
Huh, ****** listening window, but if you go far off-axis, it actually is pretty neutral:

EDIT: Did the forum always automatically censor swear words?

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I was just going to suggest these. I found this:
So the RP10-3 G4s may be a little hyped, which would be a bit of a shame if true (the original 10-3s measured quite well - S&R review). That said, with a bit of EQ these might end up being rather decent. I mean, the market is not exactly flooded with $500 10" 3-way midfields, is it? They can be used both horizontally and vertically, too. I think they were *cough* inspired *cough* by some much more expensive Focals.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I was just going to suggest these. I found this:
So the RP10-3 G4s may be a little hyped, which would be a bit of a shame if true (the original 10-3s measured quite well - S&R review). That said, with a bit of EQ these might end up being rather decent. I mean, the market is not exactly flooded with $500 10" 3-way midfields, is it? They can be used both horizontally and vertically, too. I think they were *cough* inspired *cough* by some much more expensive Focals.
I didn't realize how recessed that midrange driver was into the baffle. Very interesting. That peak at 5k could be annoying, in the original speaker's S&R measurements, but I am curious to see a new barrage of Amir's measurement suite on the new model.

It's interesting to see how several different speakers will track (in pattern, perhaps not amplitude) to a listener's room below Schroeder though. Two different speakers, sizes, and even orientation and amps, but they follow the same pattern from 300Hz downward. It's just more evidence that room tuning is probably more important than any EQ in that range.

Last edited:

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I just messaged Amir and am sending a YU and YU4 for review. Should see the reviews for it early in the new year.
If anything, please send the YU6. That 5.25" woofer will be excellent on the desktop.

Edit: And welcome aboard!

Last edited:

KantoLiving

Manufacturer
If anything, please send the YU6. That 5.25" woofer will be excellent on the desktop.

Edit: And welcome aboard!
Thank you! I decided to send YU and YU4 for now as there's a lack of testing on these products - you can find, at the minimum, frequency response measurements of YU6 on the web. I'll consider YU6 and other speakers when we have more stock available in the new year

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #1,210
EDIT: Did the forum always automatically censor swear words?
It is a small list but yes it has always been that way.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The Q Acoustics 3020 (prior model to the 3020i) can be had for just $206.99 a pair at the moment direct from Q Acoustics by using the promo code SAVE10 (includes free same-day shipping), right around the two hundred dollar criteria of this thread for budget speakers. Depending on how they measure, they could be a better buy than the 3020i for those after a decent, better value and even more compact pair of speakers with a similar modern look. Haven't seen any proper measurements of them anywhere.

spacevector

Forum Donor
It is a small list but yes it has always been that way.
Well I must know now what words make that list. I can brute force it or you can pony up. =)

To keep on topic: I am re-requesting these:
- Dayton Audio MK402X: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mk402x-4-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-465
- HSU HB1 MK2: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

I think @Sal1950 had the HSU AND promised to send them in if there was interest. Well I am interested. Do you still have these brother Sal? If so, can you please send it in? I'll be happy to chip in for shipping costs as needed.

Mindcool

Forum Donor

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sidetrack start: Is it possible to make the forum automatically update the list from https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_swear_words and https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_vulgarities? As someone with English as secondary language I find the lists intriguing (and by nature offensive in some part). Sidetrack end. :)
Using the vulgarities list strikes me as a spectacularly bad idea given how many of them are common everyday words with perfectly respectable meanings, and in some contexts don't have a sensible alternative. If you need examples we can take it to another thread, but you can ask anyone living in Scunthorpe about the unintended consequences of filtering profanity.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Curator
Wirecutter updated their 'Best Computer Speakers', after testing additional 12 speakers...

Previously they had:
Top Pick: Mackie CR4BT
Budget Pick: Mackie CR3
Upgrade Pick: Audioengine HD3

Now:
Top Pick: Mackie CR5-XBT (released in Jan 2020)
Budget Pick: PreSonus Eris E3.5 BT (released in Aug 2019)
Upgrade Pick: Kali Audio LP-6 (released May 2018)

Top Bottom