• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

KantoLiving

Audio Company
If anything, please send the YU6. That 5.25" woofer will be excellent on the desktop.

Edit: And welcome aboard!

Thank you! I decided to send YU and YU4 for now as there's a lack of testing on these products - you can find, at the minimum, frequency response measurements of YU6 on the web. I'll consider YU6 and other speakers when we have more stock available in the new year

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
EDIT: Did the forum always automatically censor swear words?
It is a small list but yes it has always been that way.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
The Q Acoustics 3020 (prior model to the 3020i) can be had for just $206.99 a pair at the moment direct from Q Acoustics by using the promo code SAVE10 (includes free same-day shipping), right around the two hundred dollar criteria of this thread for budget speakers. Depending on how they measure, they could be a better buy than the 3020i for those after a decent, better value and even more compact pair of speakers with a similar modern look. Haven't seen any proper measurements of them anywhere.

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is a small list but yes it has always been that way.
Well I must know now what words make that list. I can brute force it or you can pony up. =)

To keep on topic: I am re-requesting these:
- Dayton Audio MK402X: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mk402x-4-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-465
- HSU HB1 MK2: http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

I think @Sal1950 had the HSU AND promised to send them in if there was interest. Well I am interested. Do you still have these brother Sal? If so, can you please send it in? I'll be happy to chip in for shipping costs as needed.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
EDIT: Did the forum always automatically censor swear words?

Funnily enough, although sh*tty is censored, shit isn't (and neither are some much, much stronger ones :D).

Mindcool

Forum Donor

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sidetrack start: Is it possible to make the forum automatically update the list from https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_swear_words and https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:English_vulgarities? As someone with English as secondary language I find the lists intriguing (and by nature offensive in some part). Sidetrack end. :)
Using the vulgarities list strikes me as a spectacularly bad idea given how many of them are common everyday words with perfectly respectable meanings, and in some contexts don't have a sensible alternative. If you need examples we can take it to another thread, but you can ask anyone living in Scunthorpe about the unintended consequences of filtering profanity.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Wirecutter updated their 'Best Computer Speakers', after testing additional 12 speakers...

Previously they had:
Top Pick: Mackie CR4BT
Budget Pick: Mackie CR3
Upgrade Pick: Audioengine HD3

Now:
Top Pick: Mackie CR5-XBT (released in Jan 2020)
Budget Pick: PreSonus Eris E3.5 BT (released in Aug 2019)
Upgrade Pick: Kali Audio LP-6 (released May 2018)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Wirecutter updated their 'Best Computer Speakers', after testing additional 12 speakers...

Previously they had:
Top Pick: Mackie CR4BT
Budget Pick: Mackie CR3
Upgrade Pick: Audioengine HD3

Now:
Top Pick: Mackie CR5-XBT (released in Jan 2020)
Budget Pick: PreSonus Eris E3.5 BT (released in Aug 2019)
Upgrade Pick: Kali Audio LP-6 (released May 2018)

Commendably, Wirecutter actually pick their winners using blind listening tests (as well as name-dropping Floyd Toole and Audio Precision). From their Best Bookshelf Speaker page:
We placed them all at our listening height at least a foot away from each wall to prevent excessive bass buildup, and we regularly rotated their positions to ensure that placement was not an influencing factor. We used an ABX switching device from Audio by Van Alstine that let us instantly switch between three sets of speakers for blind A/B testing.

Here's a full list of all the models blind tested in their bookshelf speaker tests still available to buy (current or previous category picks in bold, runners-up in italics, already measured by ASR crossed out):

Dayton Audio B652-AIR
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2
ELAC Debut B6

ELAC Uni-fi UB5
KEF LS50
KEF Q150
Micca MB42X
Monitor Audio Bronze 1
Monoprice Monolith K-BAS
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR
Polk Audio RTI A1
Polk Audio TSi100
Q Acoustics 3020
Q Acoustics 3020i

Q Acoustics Concept 20
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Wharfedale Diamond 220

It would be great to complete the set by measuring all of these (starting with the category picks in bold, then the runners-up in italics, then the rest), to see how measurements line up with their choices based on blind tests, and so get some extra data on the relationship between measured performance and blind preference for current speakers. I reckon this selection is also a good representation of what's popular and 'in' with the average budget bookshelf speaker buyer at the moment which this thread asks for. As Wirecutter explains:
During our research, we looked at all of the professional reviews we could find (and trust) plus customer reviews to eliminate models that might have problems in real-world use. With so many models available, we kept our focus only on the ones that received excellent scores across the board.

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

weasels

Klispch Promedia 2.1 THX Certified :rolleyes: is currently $90 ($50 off) shipped at Costco
https://www.costco.com/klipsch-promedia-2.1-thx-computer-speakers.product.100657992.html
No clue how you would measure it, either separately or place 1 speaker on top of the sub and just don’t connect the other speaker.

But it is a super popular product, I even see small restaurants using them.

I use these (and have for several years) and subjectively have been very happy with them for PC use.

Ericglo

Commendably, Wirecutter actually pick their winners using blind listening tests (as well as name-dropping Floyd Toole and Audio Precision). From their Best Bookshelf Speaker page:

Here's a full list of all the models blind tested in their bookshelf speaker tests still available to buy (current or previous category picks in bold, runners-up in italics, already measured by ASR crossed out):

Dayton Audio B652-AIR
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2
ELAC Debut B6

ELAC Uni-fi UB5
KEF LS50
KEF Q150
Micca MB42X
Monitor Audio Bronze 1
Monoprice Monolith K-BAS
Pioneer SP-BS22 LR
Polk Audio RTI A1
Polk Audio TSi100
Q Acoustics 3020
Q Acoustics 3020i

Q Acoustics Concept 20
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Wharfedale Diamond 220

It would be great to complete the set by measuring all of these (starting with the category picks in bold, then the runners-up in italics, then the rest), to see how measurements line up with their choices based on blind tests, and so get some extra data on the relationship between measured performance and blind preference for current speakers. I reckon this selection is also a good representation of what's popular and 'in' with the average budget bookshelf speaker buyer at the moment which this thread asks for. As Wirecutter explains:

Chris is a member here now. Maybe there could be some cross promotion between ASR and Wirecutter.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@amirm

I've been seeing this center channel pop up a lot for good, low cost center channel recommendations:

Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ center channel

Dual 6.5" woofers, dual 3" midrange drivers, folded ribbon tweeter, 92 dB rated, for $399. Would be interesting to see how well it does compared to a couple of the good 3 way centers that have been measured here i.e. Infinity and your Revel. If it measures worth a darn, seems to offer a lot for the money.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sonos One. Super popular speaker that gets lots of positive press. Would bring a lot of eyeballs and we could learn how it stacks up.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

I've been seeing this center channel pop up a lot for good, low cost center channel recommendations:

Emotiva Airmotiv C2+ center channel

Dual 6.5" woofers, dual 3" midrange drivers, folded ribbon tweeter, 92 dB rated, for $399. Would be interesting to see how well it does compared to a couple of the good 3 way centers that have been measured here i.e. Infinity and your Revel. If it measures worth a darn, seems to offer a lot for the money.
Or even the C1+;
Is there a cheaper 3-way?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Chris is a member here now. Maybe there could be some cross promotion between ASR and Wirecutter.

What's his username? You can link him to this thread by writing @hisusername here.

Top Bottom