• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

bobbooo

Major Contributor
@ChrisHeinonen could you give some more details about your Best Bookshelf Speaker blind tests for Wirecutter? Did you give ratings (e.g. out of 10) for the speakers? Or was it more of a 'knockout competition' style test with the judged worst speakers eliminated in each 'round'?

Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the 253 is gonna measure quite a bit better than the 263
253:
Spin%2B-%2BInfinity%2BReference%2BR253.png

R263:
Spin%2B-%2BInfinity%2BReference%2BR263%2Braw.png

RC263:
Spin%2B-%2BInfinity%2BReference%2BRC263.png

index.php

No clue why Harman’s Spin shows the Listening Window around 2500Hz to be so far from the on-axis.

Old Hi-Fi Guy

Forum Donor
It would be interesting to find budget speakers that can be fairly easily modified at the DIY level to turn them into something that has real bang for the buck. Not only would this be very satisfying for the owners, but it might bring more people into the hi-fi fold who were previously just mass consumers. Dennis Murphy has done a few of these over the years.

This doesn't answer the original question of what budget speakers would you like to see reviewed; rather it adds another step to the review: is there an opportunity to signficantly improve the performance of this headless panther?

MrOtto

Edifier S2000 pro active speakers. I think they might be the best package I've bought for $350. They play way above its price range.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Nango

Major Contributor
I am thinking it may make sense to buy a few budget but popular speakers to test. Or alternatively members buying and donating them to be tested. :)

So what is "in" these days as far as budget speakers? I am thinking under $200 for a pair.
Would the Klippel equipment be capable for testing Soundbars?

Last edited:

peaknik

I don't know if there's a separate sub-forum for this, couldn't find it, but would it be possible to review bluetooth speakers? Say from big names like JBL, Harman & Kardon, B&O, UE, Bose, etc. I imagine quite a few people either consider buying one, or have one. In the end, we don't always enjoy music in our special rooms with all the fancy equipment.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I don't know if there's a separate sub-forum for this, couldn't find it, but would it be possible to review bluetooth speakers? Say from big names like JBL, Harman & Kardon, B&O, UE, Bose, etc. I imagine quite a few people either consider buying one, or have one. In the end, we don't always enjoy music in our special rooms with all the fancy equipment.
DXOMARK started wireless speaker testing
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...omark-started-wireless-speaker-testing.17296/

MrOtto

"You will alway measure something" But it is the measurement relevant and what does the measurement mean for a real listening experience? Therein lies the knowledge of the measurer.

samwell7

Edifier S1000mk2 states that it was tuned using the KLIPPEL system on its product page.

I've got a set and they sound pretty good to me, would love to see how they measure

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would the Klippel equipment be capable for testing Soundbars?
It depends on how many radiating elements it has per channel. If it has a large array then it may be difficult. Is there such a thing as the most popular soundbar?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Edifier S1000mk2 states that it was tuned using the KLIPPEL system on its product page.
Wonder then why they are not posting said measurements!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on how many radiating elements it has per channel. If it has a large array then it may be difficult. Is there such a thing as the most popular soundbar?
Vizio is the #1 selling brand for soundbars in America.
It would be interesting to test the included subwoofers in these units and the “wireless” surrounds.

Top Bottom