• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
btw , i think the linton's are a good candidate for "good value", and while certainly not "entry level" i'd classify them as "budget" in today's market...

asoka

Hi!

Anyone had some zma impedance files for the linton each driver? maybe also frd files?
Thanks!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone had some zma impedance files for the linton each driver? maybe also frd files?
Can i create these files without taking them apart?

RosalieTheDog

They look great value for money. Unfortunately they just seem to big for my living room. While I don't mind the retro look, I'm really not a fan of those grills either.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They look great value for money. Unfortunately they just seem to big for my living room. While I don't mind the retro look, I'm really not a fan of those grills either.
They look a lot better in black, almost smaller.
I also have the Denton 85 now running side by side, they look "normal", and while i like them, they aren't on the same level as the Linton 85 in terms of stereo illusion, only "close".
PXL_20231206_115153223.jpg

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Given he wants it from each driver, you'd need to disconnect the crossover, which means removing drivers to reach the connectors (or desoldering)
the drivers come out pretty easily, and look to have spade connectors on them - see the images in Erin's review to see them pulled out from the cabinet

kaffe

Anybody tried these with the Leak Stereo 230? Matching very well in terms of looks. But can it drive them properly?

Eleo

The Leak seems to me a bit weak, especially if one thinks that it costs about 1,5K euros. Better some Hypex or a Yamaha As-xxxx. I remember that tried the Lintons with the SMSL DA-9 which has about 90 Watts/4 Ohms. The SMSL seemed to me rather thin compared to my Rotel Rb 1552. Maybe it was psychoacoustics but ... Be it as it may, the Lintons' sensitivity has been estimated by Erin in 85 Db, so to get 106 Db of peak one needs 128 watts. Therefore, depending on your listening customs you can decide how much power you need

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The Leak seems to me a bit weak, especially if one thinks that it costs about 1,5K euros. Better some Hypex or a Yamaha As-xxxx. I remember that tried the Lintons with the SMSL DA-9 which has about 90 Watts/4 Ohms. The SMSL seemed to me rather thin compared to my Rotel Rb 1552. Maybe it was psychoacoustics but ... Be it as it may, the Lintons' sensitivity has been estimated by Erin in 85 Db, so to get 106 Db of peak one needs 128 watts. Therefore, depending on your listening customs you can decide how much power you need
It's a bit more than 85 dB and you won't listen to them in a close field bat probably far so you need to add that to your calculation, it's about 250 W @ 4 Ohms for mid to far field but in practice it's less as that's theoretical short burst peek (+20 dB) in program 86~88 dB SPL to the listening spot they use only cuple W.

kaffe

Thanks for the input, Eleo.

The Leak has 115 W RMS (4Ω). Leak don't provide data on its dynamic range capabilities, but I found this information in a couple of places:

"AMPLIFICATION
At its core is a Class AB power stage arranged in a dual-parallel configuration, drawing on many decades of amplifier design experience to deliver 75W per channel into eight ohms, and 115W per channel into four ohms. A substantial low-noise 270VA toroidal transformer is followed by 2x15000uF reservoir capacity.

[...]" - https://www.hifipig.com/leak-stereo-230-integrated-amplifier/

"[...]

With both channels driven, the Stereo 230 is specified as delivering maximum output powers of 75Wpc into both 8 ohms (18.75dBW) and 115W into 4 ohms (17.6dBW). With our usual definition of clipping as being when the THD+N reaches 1%, the Stereo 230 slightly exceeded the specified powers, clipping at 80Wpc into 8 ohms (19dBW, fig.5) and 120Wpc into 4 ohms (17.8dBW, fig.6).

[...]" - https://www.stereophile.com/content/leak-stereo-230-integrated-amplifier-measurements

I should mention that I can get it on sale for € 1,070.

When you mention the 128 watts do you mean 128 watts RMS or 128 watts high dynamic power?

kaffe

It's a bit more than 85 dB and you won't listen to them in a close field bat probably far so you need to add that to your calculation, it's about 250 W @ 4 Ohms for mid to far field but in practice it's less as that's theoretical short burst peek (+20 dB) in program 86~88 dB SPL to the listening spot they use only cuple W.
Yup, according to Erin the speakers have a sensitivity about 85dB @ 2.83v/1m.

I will be listening from a distance of approximately 8 feet or 2.5 m.

I need to test this once I have the opportunity, but I think a maximum SPL of 100 is sufficient for my needs. Probably less will do.
Not sure about how much dynamic headroom will be needed. I was informed you can expect to need quite a lot of headroom if you listen to old recordings of classical music.

Eleo

I need to test this once I have the opportunity, but I think a maximum SPL of 100 is sufficient for my needs. Probably less will do.
Not sure about how much dynamic headroom will be needed. I was informed you can expect to need quite a lot of headroom if you listen to old recordings of classical music.
with your data - 2,5 meters of distance, 100 Db Spl - Crown Spl calculator https://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators gives 126 watts. Yes, they are of dynamic power but they are @ 8 Ohms. So, as Zolall said, better to stay with something around 250 watts@ 4 Ohms

kaffe

with your data - 2,5 meters of distance, 100 Db Spl - Crown Spl calculator https://www.crownaudio.com/en/tools/calculators gives 126 watts. Yes, they are of dynamic power but they are @ 8 Ohms. So, as Zolall said, better to stay with something around 250 watts@ 4 Ohms
Ah. So I should treat them as 8Ω speakers? And ~126 watts 8Ω more or less corresponds to 250 watts 4Ω?

Trying to get the basics in place here :)

Edit: Thanks Zolalll. Also for the patience.

Last edited:

Eleo

Ah. So I should treat them as 8Ω speakers? And ~126 watts 8Ω more or less corresponds to 250 watts 4Ω?

Trying to get the basics in place here :)

Edit: Thanks Zolalll. Also for the patience.
Sensitivity is generally specified at 2.83 volts, which is equal to 1 watt @ 8 ohms or 2 watts @ 4 ohms - 2.83^2/8 or 2.83^2/4. Using the same logic, 126 watts @ 8 ohms is about 250 watts @ 4 ohms. In addition, a few watts more can be useful if you are going to try room EQ.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Remember that adding the second speaker adds 6dB SPL to he room.

100dB sounds loud to me. I typically listen at 76dB on average, which means momentary swings up to 94 with the most dynamic material (symphonic). Most peaks are in the mid 80s. (My listening distance is the same as yours.)

There is a reason most domestic amplifiers are in the 100W RMS @ 8 Ohms range. That is all most people need for most speakers at most common distances.

1704224726026.png

kaffe

Sensitivity is generally specified at 2.83 volts, which is equal to 1 watt @ 8 ohms or 2 watts @ 4 ohms - 2.83^2/8 or 2.83^2/4. Using the same logic, 126 watts @ 8 ohms is about 250 watts @ 4 ohms. In addition, a few watts more can be useful if you are going to try room EQ.

Gotcha, thanks. I definitely would appreciate having room for EQ with Dirac at some point. But I am very unsure how much headroom will be needed for that. Can you tell me?

Remember that adding the second speaker adds 6dB SPL to he room.

100dB sounds loud to me. I typically listen at 76dB on average, which means momentary swings up to 94 with the most dynamic material (symphonic). Most peaks are in the mid 80s. (My listening distance is the same as yours.)

There is a reason most domestic amplifiers are in the 100W RMS @ 8 Ohms range. That is all most people need for most speakers at most common distances.

View attachment 339095
Thanks for pointing that out, something I forgot to take into consideration (having read about it in another thread).

Actually, I just did some testing and reached the conclusion that 80 dB or more is inconveniently loud under normal circumstances.
So striving for 100 dBSPL is probably overkill, not considering room for EQ.

Miniyouuuu

I give dirac a 12dB threshold. My MiniDSP Flex volume is fixed at -12dB in order to avoid clipping. I have a -10dB correction at 46hz due to a hard room mode.

Top Bottom