• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speaker review & measurements by Erin's Audio Corner

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just because you dont understand it, doesn't mean he made a mistake. I agree the on axis,

Also, what do you mean by diffusor? It pretty much acts as a waveguide.
well, I at least I can commend you on making a reasoned response that ties the analysis back to the measurements. Which was precisely what is lacking in Darko's video.

Yes, of course I meant waveguide.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No elevator in building ?
I have, but it was out of order for a overhaul sadly.

When will you list them ? :)
RIGHT NOW!
PXL_20230616_092547766.jpg

I'm letting them rip right now with CJ Bollands - Con Spirituo which is based on samples from Vangelis - 12oclock. No subs needed :cool:

From that same album comes Nec Plus Ultra, another mid 90ies breakbeat/techno classic:

I think i'll do some Kraftwerk next, then, as the day progresses, maybe see what they can do with some Led Zeppelin and Peter Gabriel.

I haven't installed the spikes yet, maybe i will get some rollers to get the stands a few cm higher, they are a bit low for my taste.
Make of the speakers is perfect, nothing to complain. I would preferred them in red mahogany, but walnut is nice too.

Zvu

I'm letting them rip right now with CJ Bollands - Con Spirituo which is based on samples from Vangelis - 12oclock. No subs needed :cool:

Naah... i just don't believe you. You should measure it in your room to prove it :)

Anyway, rock on :cool:

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Lintons and my neighbors! :cool:
1450052307389.gif

Not sure what the designers did exactly, but they really know how to play the deeper notes, loads of fun.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are fun aren’t they? Pretty much everything sounds good on it!
True!
Finally a speaker that can replace my beloved ATCs, which are now for sale :)

Now that i have the Lintons, i'm hyped for the slightly larger Dovedale.
I doubt they will be as popular as the Lintons, as they have a hefty price, but i will look out for them in a year or two, maybe i get lucky on the used markets again :cool:

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity why do you prefer them?
Also isn't it too early for such a decision as in the first days of the new "amore" some long term listening issues might be overheard? :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity why do you prefer them?
The ATCs are very slim. Bass is there, and it goes deep, but it's incredibly faint. Kick drums don't do what they should do. Maybe they have high resolution? Maybe they have high SPL and maybe low distortion, but the kick drum thing has long annoyed me.

And so i wanted to sell them for a long time for a pair of SCM40 or SCM40a, but i never found those for a fair price. Along came the Lintons.

BTW, i also sell a pair of Mission LC-3 MKII and Focal Chora 806 and some amps and maybe tape decks. I need the space for new stuff.

Also isn't it too early for such a decision as in the first days of the new "amore" some long term listening issues might be overheard? :)
Nah, i wanted to move on for a long time now. Also, i don't overthink these things, it's just stuff. If i grow to hate the Lintons i sell them.

Kachda

Forum Donor
True!

Now that i have the Lintons, i'm hyped for the slightly larger Dovedale.
I doubt they will be as popular as the Lintons, as they have a hefty price, but i will look out for them in a year or two, maybe i get lucky on the used markets again :cool:
Completely different price point. I just added a sub and called it a day. Not going to be looking for another speaker for a while

Zvu

Linton is wrong name for this loudspeaker. It should have been Pacificators :)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AC1

Long before Erin's measurements there was:

- John Atkinson from Stereophile who said the Linton's farfield response is superbly flat, even up to 15khz.
- HiFi World who said the Lintons are not soft or warm, they are accurate.

AC1

I bought them because to my ears they sounded balanced or linear, just like the KEF LS50, to which I compared them. Okay, the sax on the LS50 had a little more presence in that small demo room but the instruments sounded miniaturized. On the Lintons, however, the instruments sounded life-size. So linear and scale (for my large room) were the reasons why I ordered the Lintons. When they arrived they sounded painfully harsh in the mid-range and subdued in the HF but that's another story ...

Infinit0

I am a new happy owner of the lintons, they are impressive specially for the price point couldnt find any better (acoustic sierra and Revel not available in my country). So I can stop looking for speakers and just sit and enjoy the music!

Infinit0

Is there anyone Linton owner here using it with MiniDSP Flex + UMIK calibration?

Not sure if it's worth it to fix some room problems. Actually because I am in Spain and a MiniDSP + Umik 2 is around 750 euro
And on top of that I need the dirac live license

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do have the Linton 85, MiniDSP Flex, UMIK1 and Dirac license.
I have to correct for two nasty room resonances, but couldn't be bothered to do more. I simply cut the FR below 50Hz and use two subwoofers to do that part, all by ear and often the subs aren't even turned on.
  1. i can simply replace the speakers with something else, my room modes are fixed.
  2. i probably should do a better job making measurements and also use Dirac ;-)
I use the MiniDSP Flex more like a DAC/Preamp i guess, so i still got my money worth.

750€ seems a bit much for used stuff. That's almost retail, isn't it?

PXL_20230801_105831729.jpg

BTW, i can recommend the Hantech, really crisp and cool. Has an airy quality. :cool:

Top Bottom