• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Western Electric, history plus new speakers!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
? But part of Texas is high altitude, dry...?...Dallas side?

One summer afternoon near Houston, we went to the tennis court to play.

We had to stop after a short time.

Our perspiration had wetted the court, and was not evaporating, making it too slippery to safely play.

So we went to the local Ice House instead.

---

Western Electric founded NEC (Japan) in 1899. Also known as Nippon Electric Company, or Nippon Denki, locally.

NEC shared the Western electric font for many years.

NEC-logo-A5AFA155CF-seeklogo.com.png

1690476686284.png

egellings

Major Contributor
Here interesting sound, HiFi history, for those who are interested in such::)

View attachment 204840

View attachment 204842

Plus a new speaker. Of course you want one. I get accocations to a steam locomotive. It does not get better than that, the look of the speakers, he he.;)
Note, I do not know if it is a Western Electric speaker, the construction or if it is "only" the driver from Western Electric in the speaker:

View attachment 204843

LIke the shades of steampunk.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Meanwhile some are complaining about how modern days Pro speakers are ugly... I know this is subjective but, these in a living room? Seriously
:rolleyes:
Well, why not. Need to fix bigger listening room for that, probably fatter wallet too. But beyond that, why not.:)

Interesting. Historic expose.Small lecture about some old speakers, plus listening test. :)

Peace.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I spent just about a lifetime living in the shadows of the old Western Electric Hawthorne Works
plant. When I was young there was still a large population in my hood working or who had
retired from there. Great memories from a time the US was the manufacturing capitol of the world.
Hawthorne_Works_aerial_view_ca_1920_pg_2.jpg

The old water tower still stands off to the side of what is now a sprawling shopping mall.
Sad they don't keep the area locked down to protect it from the neighborhood punks.
I believe that part of the property still belongs to the railroad?
Encyclopedia of Forlorn Places :(
lrg_x_D612141.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Meanwhile some are complaining about how modern days Pro speakers are ugly... I know this is subjective but, these in a living room? Seriously
Sound quality aside, beauty is in the eye and all that.
If you have the room size and find the sound quality speaks to you preferences, why not?
I had Klipsch La Scala horns and (2) 7' tall HSU subwoofers in my living room for 3 decades +.
They didn't mate well with the sensitivity's of a few ladies that came thru my life.
But in the end, the ladies left, the HiFi stayed. ;)

Nelson Pass built a set of kleinhorns for his home at one time. LOL
kleinhorn1.png

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
Sound quality aside, beauty is in the eye and all that.
If you have the room size and find the sound quality speaks to you preferences, why not?
I had Klipsch La Scala horns and (2) 7' tall HSU subwoofers in my living room for 3 decades +.
They didn't mate well with the sensitivity's of a few ladies that came thru my life.
But in the end, the ladies left, the HiFi stayed. ;)

Nelson Pass built a set of kleinhorns for his home at one time. LOL
kleinhorn1.png

I wonder what their WAF is (Wife Acceptance Factor) a dimensionless number from 0 to 1, is. 0 means 'you are not getting that monstrosity in the door' and one means it's allowed, barely. I wonder how those sound, and how low the bass goes. Being single, I gits to have any old speaker, however ugly, anywhere I want it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wonder how those sound, and how low the bass goes. Being single, I gits to have any old speaker, however ugly, anywhere I want it.
Nelson wrote a couple articles on his journey with them.
And also the El-pipe-o subwoofers.
If you know horns, just looking at the size of the bass horn mouth will tell you
they can't go down very low.

I found the el-pipe-o piece a real daja vu of my journey.
I ended up with a very similar config, only smaller.
I wonder what inspired Dr Hsu to build his sono-tube based subs?
They were his first commercial product after his grad from MIT with PHD Engineering.
I bought and used 2 of the original 7' tall monsters for 20+ years.
At the time I couldn't find anything affordable on the market that would go as low as I wanted (below 20hz) and efficient enough to even begin to keep up with my La Scalas. These came close and I doubt you could do much better even today given the same parameters.

HSU HRSW12 manufactured approx 1988 no longer in production for maybe 25+ years.
IMG_0809.JPG

DrHsu1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Nelson wrote a couple articles on his journey with them.
And also the El-pipe-o subwoofers.
If you know horns, just looking at the size of the bass horn mouth will tell you
they can't go down very low.

I found the el-pipe-o piece a real daja vu of my journey.
I ended up with a very similar config, only smaller.
I wonder what inspired Dr Hsu to build his sono-tube based subs?
They were his first commercial product after his grad from MIT with PHD Engineering.
I bought and used 2 of the original 7' tall monsters for 20+ years.
At the time I couldn't find anything affordable on the market that would go as low as I wanted (below 20hz) and efficient enough to even begin to keep up with my La Scalas. These came close and I doubt you could do much better even today given the same parameters.

HSU HRSW12 manufactured approx 1988 no longer in production for maybe 25+ years.
View attachment 302325
View attachment 302327
Speaking of pipes. In the far left corner of the picture, my subwoofer that I built. It consists of two JBL 12 inch bass drivers mounted in a saucer shape at the bottom of the subwoofer, directed downwards. The subwoofer is built with cardboard tubes.
In it are two JBL 12 inch drivers I got cheap. They are actually meant for car subwoofers, but in closed boxes they work well for home hi-fi as well .
That's one hell of a bass pressure in them.;) Or where should I say because now I'm moving to an apartment. I can't have such a subwoofer considering the neighbors. They would go crazy with the sound they produce.

Miscellaneous stuff in the picture that I had a while ago. Messy, I know, but never mind, here's the subwoofer::)
IMG_20221017_120237 (1).jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_20210406_184052_copy_1305x979 (2) (1) (1).jpg

Red curve calculation FR in closed box:
JBL-GT512.jpg

Attachments

• GT5-12.png
    GT5-12.png
    266.1 KB · Views: 30
  • GT5-12-2.png
    GT5-12-2.png
    257.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2023-07-31_071921.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-31_071921.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 26

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Vi Hermens

I got to give credit when it's due: It was a coup to secure the famed Western Electric's brand name. At&T history is storied, their Bell Labs have practically invented, almost everything we now use in our lives, from the Transistor to PCM or even Stereo and LP... in passing with Digital communications (Claude Shannon worked at Bell Labs and came up with his theorem during his time there...)and Cellular Telephony... Even the dial telephone was invented by these people... The transistor too... That is a lot .. It is difficult to pick up an electronic item that hasn't been worked on or emanated rom Bell Labs... Just in passing they found out the existence of Cosmic Rays...

Western Electric was the manufacturing arm of AT&T. They made the gear. They made the innovations come true. Now this intelligent person has found a way to use the name for its gears... I find this clever, in the same way people use RCA, Westinghouse and other name on their gears... Really Clever. They sell a lot of stuff and these are expensive. VERY. Fortunately to keep up with the tradition of innovations at Bell Labs and the old Western Electric, better performance, in smaller package is available for a fraction of the price, the factor can be as as high as 120 times less :D

For comparison purposes:

Here is their $124,999.00 per pair (No Typo, One Hundred Twenty Five Thousands US legal tender called US Dollar)
SPECIFICATIONS:
Rated Power Output
80 watts RMS per channel
Input Sensitivity
0.50 volts for full output
Input Impedance
500k ohms
Frequency Response
+/- 1 dB from 10Hz to 100kHz

Total Harmonic Distortion
10 watts output: < 0.05%
50 watts output: < 0.15%
80 watts output: <0.90%
Damping Factor: 16
Power Consumption
400 watts (true RMS)

97A_front_NO-LED-%281-of-1%29.jpg

And here, ASR members can drop any amplifier under $1000.oo, they believe objectively surpass those .. :D

Peace.

It's interesting - the original tube co was Westrex, which was also the cinema sound division. It looks like the owner purchased Westrex from AT&T, with all the tube manufacturing machinery and IP, and eventually just vacuumed (lol) every bit of the remaining IP and branding from AT&T's descendants, re-forming Western Electric proper.

Not as egregious as a company licensing a brand and slapping it on an OEM product...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not as egregious as a company licensing a brand and slapping it on an OEM product...
Agreed 200%
So good to see an iconic name like WE stay as a US branded product and not end
up in some foreign hands as has happened to so many before :(

Top Bottom