• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The History Of Car Radio

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I saw that Earl "Madman" Muntz and the four-track cartridge made this thread.
Did y'all mention that Bill Lear, besides the Jet, also did the 8-track cartridge player?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is the history of our grandfathers' Motorola.
Although I now qualify as a grandfather, the more current history of Motorola is a sad one, which we all lived thru to the end.
202307_Moto.jpg

Nokia (circa 1998), ON Semi, and the rest of the blunders will be in the closing chapter of that book.:(

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That is the history of our grandfathers' Motorola.
Although I now qualify as a grandfather, the more current history of Motorola is a sad one, which we all lived thru to the end.
View attachment 300843
Nokia (circa 1998), ON Semi, and the rest of the blunders will be in the closing chapter of that book.:(
Yep, it seems every time an iconic US company gets sold off to foreign owners they'll eventually manage to muck it all up. ;)
Did y'all mention that Bill Lear, besides the Jet, also did the 8-track cartridge player?
Yes sir, it's up there somewhere. LOL

Take a look at their bios. Neither seems dumb to me.
Me either
Something to consider: this was when electronics was still a novelty. Degrees didn't mean a lot.
They oft still don't, and many times were taught the wrong things.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget Blaupunkt - They think they are the first car radio worldwide. I remember their 70's car radios were quite good at getting FM.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
MotoG phones were cool.:)

Even without adding the nationalistic view to Motorola, the story of... errrrr... Bell errr...AT&T history is quite the opposite.
AT&T's business model has always been the most territorial and the most sinister. Yet, it still prospers to this day!:mad:
I have my own 'hit list' of companies/products that I try to minimize all my connections to/with.
Alphabet/Google has taken the first spot over AT&T, in the last decade.

Prana Ferox

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, is it just me, or is the takeaway from this story that even really dumb people can succeed?
The takeaway, as demonstrated in the first few lines of Sal's article:
It was a romantic night to be sure, but one of the women observed that, it would be even nicer if they could listen to music in the car.
... is that there is no greater motivation for the advancement of science, technology and the general human condition, than guys trying to score

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
... is that there is no greater motivation for the advancement of science, technology and the general human condition, than guys trying to score
That's a fact Jack !!!

NoxMorbis

The takeaway, as demonstrated in the first few lines of Sal's article:

Oh, shit! My bad, of course!

NoxMorbis

Who are you - J. Robert Oppenheimer? ;-)

Take a look at their bios. Neither seems dumb to me.
irony:
The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.

Top Bottom