• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Western Electric, history plus new speakers!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
... but the weather and state politics is 1000% better here in FL.
I could never go back.
Hot and humid, not appealing! :p My mom moved out of her condo in Florida so I *could* have a free place to live. But not there. I hate the politics here in NY, but I'll take the snow, cool weather, and lack of alligators.

Our basement is cool enough to motivate me to build some new tube gear, so sometime this year, some mega-power amps. No 300Bs, there's a lot better choices in power tubes that have been developed since the 1930s.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hot and humid, not appealing! :p My mom moved out of her condo in Florida so I *could* have a free place to live. But not there. I hate the politics here in NY, but I'll take the snow, cool weather, and lack of alligators.
Each to their own. Personally I find around 80 the most all around comfortable and it rarely goes above that here by another 15 degrees, only slightly uncomfortable.
OTOH, it gets to -100 below that (-20F) in NY or Chicago often in the winter. That's just freakin insane, you can lose fingers and toes, or die from a short exposure. Never Again.

You know I said I'd figured out that if I were to move to the US, that Miami or somewhere around there on the coast would be best. But a few nights ago I watched some Al Gore thing on climate change and...I made a mental note,
Don't pay too much attention to Al (he invented the internet) Gore. He and his friends are heavily invested in alternative technologies and hoping to make a bundle from his climate change scare tactics.
Coastal locations always worried me. If you have the $ for multiple home locations in case of hurricanes, etc, fine. I only have one small, very modest home and need something reasonably secure.
I believe Walt Disney did his homework on weather patterns in FL and chose the Central FL, Orlando area with good reason. Smart guy ole Walt. ;)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Each to their own. Personally I find around 80 the most all around comfortable and it rarely goes above that here by another 15 degrees, only slightly uncomfortable.
Humidity? ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Our basement is cool enough to motivate me to build some new tube gear, so sometime this year, some mega-power amps. No 300Bs, there's a lot better choices in power tubes that have been developed since the 1930s.
Well, there's always New Hampshire, you know? :)
Still alligator-free AFAIK -- although we do have other southern species (e.g., red-bellied woodpeckers) now.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Nop, on the contrary.Cold, dry air. Yummy.:)

Frozen sea. Picture taken last year:

View attachment 207239
I don't doubt what you're saying. I was referring to Florida. Humid up the wazoo; its a swamp after all. Where I live in the high desert of NM, there's little humidity.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nop, on the contrary.Cold, dry air. Yummy.:)

Frozen sea. Picture taken last year:

View attachment 207239
We get like -15C with bright sunny days in the winter daytime and @ night it goes to -40C sometimes and even colder. Very dry place in winter. I don't mind it most days because I have the clothing for it but -35 and colder is just too cold. :D So we go to -40C and up to ~+40C in summertime. Big temperature delta.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
We get like -15C with bright sunny days in the winter daytime and @ night it goes to -40C sometimes and even colder. Very dry place in winter. I don't mind it most days because I have the clothing for it but -35 and colder is just too cold. :D So we go to -40C and up to ~+40C in summertime. Big temperature delta.
The extreme cold, as you describe, well there I would tapp out.:D

Down to - 15C (not much lower) is cozy/ok /nice in itself.:)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Well, I understand. Even if I not, for a long period of time (other than on vacation) experienced that. :D
I vividly remember in Florida while in the Army taking a shower, then getting dressed and going out, and it seemed like I couldn't get more than 10 feet without being soaked with sweat from the humidity. Gross.....

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I vividly remember in Florida while in the Army taking a shower, then getting dressed and going out, and it seemed like I couldn't get more than 10 feet without being soaked with sweat from the humidity. Gross.....
That was my experience in Texas. Loved much about living there, but not the weather.

My favorite place of all the ones we lived was Butte, MT. -40 routinely, dry, clear, snowy. Here in FLX NY, it rarely gets under 0F, and it's a lot more humid, but still, delightfully cold and snowy, perfect tube climate.

Katji

Major Contributor
? But part of Texas is high altitude, dry...?...Dallas side?

Tom C

Major Contributor
Well, why not. Need to fix bigger listening room for that, probably fatter wallet too. But beyond that, why not.:)

Interesting. Historic expose.Small lecture about some old speakers, plus listening test. :)

I was in that very room in 2019 at High End Munich. I remember the sound as pretty ragged, not at all pleasant. But then, they weren’t playing that piece of music at the time. Does anyone recognize what music that is? I rather like it.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I was in that very room in 2019 at High End Munich. I remember the sound as pretty ragged, not at all pleasant. But then, they weren’t playing that piece of music at the time. Does anyone recognize what music that is? I rather like it.
Cool! Comparing with modern speakers is not fair. I had thought it was exciting to just hear them. It's fun with audio / HiFi history, I think.:)

If it was the 1930s speakers you were listening to?

Tom C

Major Contributor
Cool! Comparing with modern speakers is not fair. I had thought it was exciting to just hear them. It's fun with audio / HiFi history, I think.:)

If it was the 1930s speakers you were listening to?
I don’t remember if it was the papier-mâché version, or the metal, but it was one of the two, so yes, from 1930’s. I was very interested to hear them, since they are so rare to find, and so very expensive when you do.
I love the look. Artifacts from that time are an interesting view into the past, the time of our parents and grandparents. I don’t know why somebody couldn’t make a high quality replica today for reasonable cost.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I don’t remember if it was the papier-mâché version, or the metal, but it was one of the two, so yes, from 1930’s. I was very interested to hear them, since they are so rare to find, and so very expensive when you do.
I love the look. Artifacts from that time are an interesting view into the past, the time of our parents and grandparents. I don’t know why somebody couldn’t make a high quality replica today for reasonable cost.
I think someone from Japan does make replicas of the drivers and HF horns. I don't know about the large horns though. If they did, I'd imagine the WAF would not be 'favorable'. o_O

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m aware of Line Magnetic (out of China, I believe), but they take the marketing strategy of only available at brick and mortar dealer, at a handsome price. And there’s that Auditorium 23 Hommage Cinema, same deal. But that’s about it, AFAIK.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I’m aware of Line Magnetic (out of China, I believe), but they take the marketing strategy of only available at brick and mortar dealer, at a handsome price. And there’s that Auditorium 23 Hommage Cinema, same deal. But that’s about it, AFAIK.
Line magnetic was the one but I had forgotten their name.

hnash53

Here interesting sound, HiFi history, for those who are interested in such::)

View attachment 204840

View attachment 204842

Plus a new speaker. Of course you want one. I get accocations to a steam locomotive. It does not get better than that, the look of the speakers, he he.;)
Note, I do not know if it is a Western Electric speaker, the construction or if it is "only" the driver from Western Electric in the speaker:

View attachment 204843

Kinda looks more like a woodburning stove from the front.

Top Bottom