• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Galaxy Watch 5 Pro.

Screenshot_20240226_191553_sysui.png

Denney-a9610-715li.JPEG

Rick “yes, this is real, much to my surprise” Denney
I have a denney ltd. Est. 1934 and can't find any info on this watch. Lotta ode to rick denney threads about ebel watches... black face chromo. Similar looking dial. Any help finding info be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I decided to see if there could be a decent watch that was affordable from AliExpress. I had been aware for years that many fashion brands simply pay to have their names stamped onto really affordable watches that can be purchased at AliExpress for far less than half the retail price once they become branded.

Even knowing this I still didn't bother until recently. I took a chance and purchased a Pagnani Designs automatic and so far I'm actually really liking it.

Feels well made, looks quite nice, well appointed and so far is doing everything right. I paid $155 Canadian shipped and it arrived in about a week. For the money I have to say it strikes me as excellent value. Now longevity will be the question of course. Time will tell. Pun intended.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a denney ltd. Est. 1934 and can't find any info on this watch. Lotta ode to rick denney threads about ebel watches... black face chromo. Similar looking dial. Any help finding info be greatly appreciated. Thanks
That I would wear! Very sweet face.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I decided to see if there could be a decent watch that was affordable from AliExpress. I had been aware for years that many fashion brands simply pay to have their names stamped onto really affordable watches that can be purchased at AliExpress for far less than half the retail price once they become branded.

Even knowing this I still didn't bother until recently. I took a chance and purchased a Pagnani Designs automatic and so far I'm actually really liking it.

Feels well made, looks quite nice, well appointed and so far is doing everything right. I paid $155 Canadian shipped and it arrived in about a week. For the money I have to say it strikes me as excellent value. Now longevity will be the question of course. Time will tell. Pun intended.
Can we please see it? I'm interested.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

There are only a handful watch manufacturers who can boast about doing everything in-house from the movement to the case to even the bracelet, etc.

Seiko is one of them.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I miss my Casio. Lost it in 1992.
Do you, now?
202403_WatchCasioATC-1200.jpg

This Casio ATC-1200 (PathFinder/ProTrek?) became my trusted partner during a motorcycle trip from Denver - all the way down - to Panama Canal.
It had all the bells and whistle (era correct: early 1990s) including compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer (w/alarm sets) memory and a histogram.
It served its purpose very well and it was promptly retired from duty (upon battery removal) because it is not a particular well suited tool for EDC.

I heard that you can find this Casio on ebay at prices similar to a fifteen-dollar Timex.
Or else, if you are the nostalgic kind [and promise to stop your cryin' :p] , I'd be willing to lend it to you on "permanent-loan" basis, as long as you pay for a new battery and shipping.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you, now?
View attachment 360465
This Casio ATC-1200 (PathFinder/ProTrek?) became my trusted partner during a motorcycle trip from Denver - all the way down - to Panama Canal.
It had all the bells and whistle (era correct: early 1990s) including compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer (w/alarm sets) memory and a histogram.
It served its purpose very well and it was promptly retired from duty (upon battery removal) because it is not a particular well suited tool for EDC.

I heard that you can find this Casio on ebay at prices similar to a fifteen-dollar Timex.
Or else, if you are the nostalgic kind [and promise to stop your cryin' :p] , I'd be willing to lend it to you on "permanent-loan" basis, as long as you pay for a new battery and shipping.
Thank you for the kind offer. The one I had was the metal case type and the big nostalgia for it was that my dad gave it to me in middle school after I had lost a series of other watches. I held onto it until my college graduation.

But, there is a happy ending. I lost the watch in my fraternity house during the summer after graduation while moving. Ten years later, I saw a close friend of mine wearing a similar watch. I asked where he got it and he said he found it in the frat house, several months after I moved out. He offered to give it back to me on the spot, but I let him keep it as we now had a common object in our shared history and a good story to tell about it.

Over 30 years after the initial loss, he still has the watch! :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There used to be a pricey 'dual-quartz' (master/slave) watch that had an accuracy of +/-10second/year.
[OT/Irrelevant: It was a graduation present... from me to the old-man... for not helping me pay for my college...]
Anyways, I was quite surprised seeing the picture of this watch:
View attachment 350091
It made me take a double-look :oops: ...make that a triple-look.
Quite attractive.
View attachment 350096
If one is good... and two is better... therefore, two plus forty-five must be the best!
Forget mega-dollar tourbillion movements, this 'double-wing' automatic is a hair above $100.
I had no intentions before posting this but I just hustled myself to order one... daaang!
That above purchase was over a month ago, and it has been on my wrist for about three weeks; It is gaining about ~4 seconds per week, thus far.:)
I think the second balance-wheel/spring (etc.) is probably a snake-oil and I should really do some research to determine whether it truly makes for a more accurate movement...

I've turned into a cheapskate for watches: Having owned more than a few mid-tear (=prices in 4-digits) automatics, I've come to the realization that they really are not much better performance (=accuracy/price) than even a Swatch51 automatic. [imho/ymmv].
202403_WatchAutoPagani.jpg

Having discovered the enjoyment of being a watch-cheapskate, I just purchased the above automatic for $100.
And Just like all the pricey alternatives, it does come with a "1 year warranty"!:cool:

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Having discovered the enjoyment being a watch-cheapskate, I just purchased the above automatic for $100.
And Just like all the pricey alternatives, it does come with a "1 year warranty"!:cool:
Was this a special price or is this everyday stuff? I like it. It looks like a chic magnet. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I've shown you mine (x2), you owe me a photo... I want to see.... please!;)

@Doodski, try both aliexpress and temu... thousands upon thousands to choose from... there appears to be no such thing as "MSRP" anymore, same item can have different msrp and each is reduced by sum imaginary xx%... well... because it is on "sale"...;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In retrospect and in comparison to the past dozen+ years:
I find that the improvement(s) in the precision of metallurgical manufacturing from China has eclipsed those from the rest of the world...
...but - unfortunately - at slave-labor pricing, which makes it almost impossible for anyone else to compete.

:)<:mad:

Top Bottom