• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Many Uses of Rodico Cleaning Putty
Call it what you want, magic, a watchmaker’s best friend, watchmaker’s putty, no matter how you put it the little bar of Bergeon Rodico cleaning compound is something a watchmaker should never go without. Although the original green putty was designed to clean small and delicate watch parts, it’s just as commonly used for a variety of other handy reasons while working on watches. Due to the consistency of the putty it gives you precise control over where and what you are cleaning or grabbing. Take a look below at the many ways you can use Rodico cleaning putty and learn expert tips on getting the most use out of a single bar of Bergeon 6033 Rodico.
From <https://www.eternaltools.com/rodico-cleaning-compound-by-bergeon-6033>

202310_Rodico.jpg

Waaaaah! :(
It looks like I may to need some of this stuff as I caught my BR03-92 sleeping on the job (3 times).
Or it may be time for me to find a substitute/replacement, which will last a bit more than two decades.:mad:

D

Deleted member 48726

Apple Watch 5 in a Spigen Rugged Armor.
It's my running tracker.
My timer on work when measuring various flow-rates.
My remote control and volume control when listening to music.
My pager when someone is calling or sending messages.
My access to weather info without needing my phone.

jjk1

Oh man a watch thread - pawn shop today.
cheap thrills. $180.00 for the pair. Mid 50’s and running fine.
one of many rabbit holes to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_2529.png
    IMG_2529.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2528.png
    IMG_2528.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 91

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Many Uses of Rodico Cleaning Putty

Waaaaah! :(
It looks like I may to need some of this stuff as I caught my BR03-92 sleeping on the job (3 times).
Or it may be time for me to find a substitute/replacement, which will last a bit more than two decades.:mad:
Probably just needs a little oil greasing service, the movement is super reliable in those.

Another thing that has helped me is to simply rotate the crown forward and backwards for like 4-5 12 hour rotations each way, that seems to distribute things again, especially if the watch isn't worn daily. Good luck!

fatoldgit

Citizen ecodrive.. never needs a battery.

The datetime stamp on the PDF manual I have is 2003, so the watch is 20 years old.

Looks better in real life than this image although it probably does need a clean/polish.

1700264886078.png

Keith_W

Major Contributor
That Richard Mille was made to be the thinnest watch in the world, but it is a very compromised watch. In fact, all ultrathin watches are. They are fragile, have low power reserve, no water resistance, and are impractical (notice how you need a special tool to wind that watch!). It's not something for you to wear, it's a watch that you keep in your collection and only bring out to show off. A bit like some of those high performance cars. They are so valuable that their owners keep them locked up from new.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That Richard Mille was made to be the thinnest watch in the world
Not sure that is a particularly worthwhile effort though there are quite a few nice thin watches already, I like the Piaget.

I hate the fashion for huge watches, particularly if they are thick, I can put up with bigger diameter than needed for the movement though it seems stupid, but I find thick watches are horrible to wear.

My favourite watch from a looks and wearing pov, a Blancpain 2100, has turned out to suddenly lose accuracy and need fixing too often.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I am surprised that you like it, surely it would look better if it had a Williams logo on it and not Ferrari? ;)

I am with you with Richard Mille. Horrible, gawdy watches. As my mother would say, it's "new money".

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I am way done with watches with price tags in any 4-figure sum.:mad:
I gave away my Brietling. My puppy-eyed nephew got my Omega. Then, my Bell&Ross kicked the bucket.
I started wearing my old-*ss Tissot PRS 516 (day/date/auto) and I realized that its 'Day' function comes in handy at my age.:)

ADD: Have all ASR watch-nerds found the REW shake-down review/post of that 'tuning fork watch'??
It is no joke and it is not an April's Fool post.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An early Christmas gift to myself: an Apple Watch Ultra2 with an Ultra Supply Company titanium oyster band.
IMG_0046.jpeg

Martin

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I’d prefer no logo!
I always refuse to wear anything with a logo.

Then you would like:

1700364703438.png

H. Moser & Cie Vantablack. Many of their watches have no branding at all on the dial (you can only see the branding if you turn it around and look at the back), and some have subtle branding, a shallow engraving on the dial in the same colour. You have to hold it at a certain angle to the light to see the branding, like this:

606c377dd25c7c03cea1ca1b_continut1-3.jpg

Or you could consider Ressence. There is branding, but it is also subtle:

Ressence-Type-8-5.jpg

I quite like their Type 3 oil filled watch. It makes the dial look as if it is on the surface of the glass by removing the air between the sapphire and the dial with the oil which has a similar refractive index to the glass. It was made as a dive watch, where the dial remains clear underwater:

Ressence-Type-3-BBB-Dial-and-Strap-1024x1024.jpg

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then you would like:

View attachment 327692

H. Moser & Cie Vantablack. Many of their watches have no branding at all on the dial (you can only see the branding if you turn it around and look at the back), and some have subtle branding, a shallow engraving on the dial in the same colour. You have to hold it at a certain angle to the light to see the branding, like this:

606c377dd25c7c03cea1ca1b_continut1-3.jpg

Or you could consider Ressence. There is branding, but it is also subtle:

Ressence-Type-8-5.jpg

I quite like their Type 3 oil filled watch. It makes the dial look as if it is on the surface of the glass by removing the air between the sapphire and the dial with the oil which has a similar refractive index to the glass. It was made as a dive watch, where the dial remains clear underwater:

Ressence-Type-3-BBB-Dial-and-Strap-1024x1024.jpg
Thought that Type 3 was pretty cool so went looking - you might have warned us about the price!

Top Bottom