• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mark Levinson or Accuphase

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Accuphase is privately owned, has been around since 1972. Created by former Kenwood engineers who wanted to create the world's best high fidelity equipment with no compromises. Their reliability, fit and finish along with conservative performance and factory backup, even for their very first products, continues to this day.

Mark Levinson also set up in 1972, but was broke by 1980 and the entire business (even after a lifeline of money) was bankrupt in 1984. Madrigal took over all the rights, Harman have owned the name since 1989/90 and pimp it to anyone they can. It's just a badge to them.

Last edited:

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Accuphase wins this for me easily from a pride of ownership perspective. I don't think there will be any meaningful difference in sound quality, but from a look, feel, and experience of owning it, I'm going with the Accuphase.

Mikig

I really like Mark Levinson products.
It was love at first sight; when I was young ;) I saw them for the first time in the shop where I bought the Oto Audio Note. I was fascinated by those black beasts, they were like "magnetic". They sounded great, they were beautiful, powerful, they gave the sensation of an out-of-scale product in every way!! Clearly I couldn't go near any of those products, but I promised myself that sooner or later I would buy one!!
And they arrived home….!!
Accuphase also fascinates me a lot, and it is one of the manufacturers that I have on my wish list…..if only I could find something used at a humane price…..

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Accuphase is privately owned, has been around since 1972. Created by former Kenwood engineers who wanted to create the world's best high fidelity equipment with no compromises. Their reliability, fit and finish along with conservative performance and factory backup, even for their very first products, continues to this day.

Privately owned, and focused on staying profitable rather than expanding in order to add shareholder value. Since the company had kept that philosophy AND remains profitable, they won’t go out of business….

Most of the time the problem is that there is more money to be made elsewhere given the same investment, a company is burning cash as they expand or are trying to grow, or demand for their products ends.

The last thing is the only real risk but this is thinking 20-30 years from now. I have owned Accuphase gear and it’s great. However, as hifi itself becomes less popular, they may need to reimagine themselves.

Mark Levinson also set up in 1972, but was broke by 1980 and the entire business (even after a lifeline of money) was bankrupt in 1984. Madrigal took over all the rights, Harman have owned the name since 1989/90 and pimp it to anyone they can. It's just a badge to them.
+1

Stano

Hi all , new here , my first post and will be my last long winded post ..,unfamiliar with the site , thought I’ll share my Accuphase experience and if anyone can give any advice on future upgrades to ensure I’m doing the Accuphase justice;

I’ve now had my Accuphase E-4000 for 2 days. Leading right up to the final transaction, I was torn, feeling the weight of stress and guilt due to competing financial priorities. I was constantly wondering if I'd regret the purchase and fearing disappointment from family when they find out how much it cost. I seriously considered canceling my purchase and cutting my losses and accepted that I would lose my deposit, however despite these doubts, I followed through with the purchase.

The moment I heard the first note emanate from the Accuphase, playing Bob Dylan's vinyl record, within mere seconds, I felt a profound reassurance wash over me. A smile, unlike any I've ever worn, spread across my face, accompanied by a a few tears of pure joy, the experience was truly remarkable, it was the exact same when my kids were born. Witnessing my wife's astonishment and my daughter's admiration for the Accuphase amazing sound, only affirmed the magnitude of my decision was the right one.

Currently running KEFs R3 meta , Rega P3 and a WiiM pro plus ( for now ). I will probably go the EverSolo 8 eventually or may be another ASR recommended brand and model. My room is pretty small 4M X4M ( 13ft X 13ft) and it will only be book shelf speakers. Rooms currently being treated, rearranged and extended a little , is there anyone out there with E-4000 ( E-480) experience that may be able to advise in order what my next planned priority upgrade should be to equaly match the E-4000 performance wise..

Accuphase E-4000
KEF R3 Meta
Rega P3
WiiM Pro Plus

radix

Major Contributor
Hi all , new here , my first post and will be my last long winded post ..,unfamiliar with the site , thought I’ll share my Accuphase experience and if anyone can give any advice on future upgrades to ensure I’m doing the Accuphase justice;

I’ve now had my Accuphase E-4000 for 2 days. Leading right up to the final transaction, I was torn, feeling the weight of stress and guilt due to competing financial priorities. I was constantly wondering if I'd regret the purchase and fearing disappointment from family when they find out how much it cost. I seriously considered canceling my purchase and cutting my losses and accepted that I would lose my deposit, however despite these doubts, I followed through with the purchase.

The moment I heard the first note emanate from the Accuphase, playing Bob Dylan's vinyl record, within mere seconds, I felt a profound reassurance wash over me. A smile, unlike any I've ever worn, spread across my face, accompanied by a a few tears of pure joy, the experience was truly remarkable, it was the exact same when my kids were born. Witnessing my wife's astonishment and my daughter's admiration for the Accuphase amazing sound, only affirmed the magnitude of my decision was the right one.

Currently running KEFs R3 meta , Rega P3 and a WiiM pro plus ( for now ). I will probably go the EverSolo 8 eventually or may be another ASR recommended brand and model. My room is pretty small 4M X4M ( 13ft X 13ft) and it will only be book shelf speakers. Rooms currently being treated, rearranged and extended a little , is there anyone out there with E-4000 ( E-480) experience that may be able to advise in order what my next planned priority upgrade should be to equaly match the E-4000 performance wise..

Accuphase E-4000
KEF R3 Meta
Rega P3
WiiM Pro Plus

Welcome. Congrats on the E4000.

I think the Wiim pro plus is great for your setup. You do not need a volume control or multiple inputs and such, that's the E4000s job. Though if you want a display screen, I could see going with something besides the Wiim (I find the display screens somewhat overrated and use an ipad on a stand myself). You can keep the wiim hidden somewhere and not clutter the beautiful appearance of the E4000.

The only thing I would add is a minidsp or other DRC in the pre-out/main-in loop for room correction. And a sub.

Top Bottom