• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you do with remote controls?

alaios

I wanted to understand what you are doing with remote controls. It is more general question:
1. I have kids, small ones so even though we take some measures it is easy that if they grasp something they might brake it. So there is a need for "replacing" them from time to time.
2. Then is the problem of the multiple components. Listening music with multiple remotes is not my cup of coffee really. Sometimes I am jealous of all in one boxes that have a single remote control
3. Currently I am listening to wiim but is not really possible to change the track with a remote control

Is it somehow possible to merge multiple devices under one remote control or not?
How do you approach the above points?
Regards,
Alex

JSmith

Master Contributor
Is it somehow possible to merge multiple devices under one remote control or not?
Yes. I would have recommended a Harmony remote, but they have ceased.

I believe this may be a decent option;

JSmith

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got one of these:
If you use the Aliexpress phone app, they're $1.99 with shipping and it's a learning remote so you can clone an infra red one easily. I copied the buttons of an SMSL and a Topping remote to it, just holding them together and teaching it. Really inexpensive backup of the factory ones just in case.

Moonbase

Bin them. My appleTV does everything tv wise and Roon does everything for Audio.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Harmony remotes would be the solution. These are no longer manufactured, since April 2021 but Logitech (strangely) continue to support the IT infrastructure/Servers that run the Harmony Remote system; new devices are added to their database , on a regular basis, even several that came out, this year of 2024!!.
No one knows how long this will last, if you feel adventurous you can grab remotes and hubs on eBay in great shapes and sometimes new. These will register on the Harmony Cloud services and do their thing .. with the above caveat.. They have not announced cessation of support but it could happen anytime or ... never... Have been using these forever with no issue...

Peace.

Moonbase

Harmony are good but as you say discontinued, I had assumed that they had to stopped adding new devices, I wonder how long they will do so?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently I am listening to wiim but is not really possible to change the track with a remote control
Buy the Wiim remote. Its about 15 euro and can skip track and adjust volume out of the Wiim.

Or just use the wiim app on your phone. Set the amp etc at the max level you want them use the Wiim remote or app to vary during listening

LouB

Had the Harmony & loved it. Now it's 1 sony remote runs the tv through the amp HDMI/Arc input. Everything else done with Heos phone amp. I really never touch the amp anymore.

Top Bottom