• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AHB has impeccable measurements. But it does nothing for me as a physical object of art. I care a lot less about measurements than I used to, given how most differences are below the audibility threshold, especially when I listen to LPs.
I agree, but when spending more than throw-away money, you have to consider the possibility of service after the sale. Sure, I'd like a Lux, or Accuphase, or a fifty year old monster Sansui. But if it breaks, can I get it fixed? It's a question I have to ask before I buy.

If I lived in Japan, I'd be looking at Lux or Accuphase. Even used. But here in the US, with the lack of dealer support? There's McIntosh. But Mac is not the same company it was in the 50s through 70s. They no longer offer reasonable value. At least in my estimation. Mac is going for the 'cost is no object' customer. And their designs border on self-parody. Green LED tube sockets? Not my thing.

So a company like Benchmark (admitting that the gear looks more at home in a pro studio rack than a living room) represents good consumer value, for what they charge, what they offer, and with their warranty. Plus, if you have a problem you can pick up the phone and talk to them, as long as they are at the office.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I wish that barrier strips like on this unit would have become standard. They are among the most reliable and secure termination methods there are, which is why they are used in some very critical applications. They are ideally meant to be used with spade lugs. Early gear like my McIntosh MC240 used them, among other brands, but some marketing genius thought banana plugs would be the wiser choice - this is probably the same idiot (or the son of the idiot) who came up with the RCA plug.

View attachment 170857
Barrier terminal strips were fairly common a few decades ago. They aren't terribly user friendly, so they fell out of favor. Besides, I'm sure that solid state amp manufacturers sold more amps when they took away short circuit protection at the speaker terminals. ;)

Q_sjlFj5RxkBev_U5ZwtMOQv_T2G_JPHSFnQ4O7yVyv-U79JCJs-D1hDIwC6V2rB8rIOKgWKETK6FJ8Y-Gm7QrCr8tFin-rvRx_y8ITPqdB5NUJP20m1COo

EdTice

Was working fine when my dad put it in the box and stored it in our basement, twenty years ago. But I have no way to test it, and don't know anything about it. Refer to the pictures for more information.
Yeah, I was in the market for some used gear recently. Ended up purchasing new gear because the used was being offered at prices that didn't make it economical. I just can't imagine anybody buying that stuff. But to each his own I guess. Maybe I should offer some of my used stuff up that I was planning to utilize again one day. Or maybe I should save it and it will sell for a weeks pay in another year.

Top Bottom