• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vanatoo Transparent One Encore (Powered Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 160 71.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 29 12.9%

• Total voters

TNT

This is still not clear despite the replies in the thread... your comment, was it in regard to increase the SPL or decrease?

"Crank the volume way down and there is graceful breakdown with faint static and other distortion."

//

DSJR

Major Contributor

Not sure if these are UK/EU available but I bet further refinements may well moderate the dispersion aspects, which I feel are only just being looked at more closely as important (rather than gently brushing it under the carpet). Not sure I like the metal cone going off in the mid kHz region as they do, albeit under crossover control.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note: Rating meant for far-field listening.

Preference Rating
SCORE: 4.7
SCORE w/ sub: 6.9

Frequency response: +/- 3.3dB 52Hz-20kHz ; +/-3.0dB 80Hz-20kHz

Spinorama 105.png
Horizontal Directivity 98.png
Horizontal Directivity Normalized 97.png
Vertical Directivity 95.png
Vertical Directivity Normalized 95.png
chart 109.png

Last edited:

oversky

I voted for "not terrible" as directivity is quite poor especially for the price and I don't see the big advantage for relatively flat on-axis for a desktop monitor where it is easy and free to use EQ like Equalizer APO to correct it, I'd rather preferred smooth directivity instead which cannot be corrected by EQ. Also at times of a pair JBL LSR or Kali 5-6" costing around $300 this makes no sense to me.
The foot-print of Kali IN-5 is much larger than this T1E (581 cm^2 vs 315 cm^2).

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore powered/computer speaker. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $599 for a pair (in black and cherry).
View attachment 196645

This is small speaker but is quite heavy for its size and feels quite dense. All the electronics are in one speaker and four wires drive the slave indicating active (DSP) configuration. Back panel shows very rich connectivity (including remote control which is not shown):
View attachment 196646

You are not going to find features like digital input, sub out, etc. in any budget professional monitor but you have it here and then some. That passive radiator is a serious looking thing in person as well.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the center of the tweeter (aligned by eye). Measurement room was at 15 degrees C. No grill was used.

Vanatoo Transparent One Encore Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 196647

On axis is impressively flat and extends quite low for such a small speaker. Unfortunately the woofer beams (narrows its response) before tweeter takes over with its broad beam so we have some directivity error. Back to bass, we see the low frequency tuning of the passive radiator:

View attachment 196649

And its superiority over open port in suppressing cabinet/port resonances. Without this, you get mid-frequency colorations which are nicely absent here.

Here are the early reflections and predicted in-room response:

View attachment 196663

View attachment 196664

Distortion is nicely controlled at 86 dBSPL:
View attachment 196650

View attachment 196651

Beamwidth clearly shows the directivity error:
View attachment 196652

View attachment 196653

Vertical directivity is as expected. Point the tweeter to your ear vertically:
View attachment 196654

For people who are fans of timing tests, here you are:
View attachment 196655

View attachment 196656

View attachment 196657

Speaker Listening Tests
I chose to test the TE1 on my desk as I see it as more of a nice computer speaker than stand-alone. Placed on the corner of my desk and near the wall, I was most impressed by the amount of bass out of this speaker. I think it goes deeper than just about any speaker I have tested in its size in the same location. Crank the volume way down and there is graceful breakdown with faint static and other distortion. Overall tonality was on the warm side.

I attempted to use the predicted in-room response to develop EQ. I put in a boost in the dip area and pulled down the bass a bit. This gave me a light and airy signature and tighter bass. But I could not convince myself that it was better for all music so I am not going to show it. Seems in near field on-axis response is dominant.

I then sat back, working on writing this review and enjoying the sound of this speaker.

Conclusions
Clearly good engineering has gone into this speaker with active DSP design and flat on-axis response. Really the only flaw is directivity error in crossover region which I found in near-field listening to not be as important. However, response may be more room/location dependent than if the directivity was fully controlled.

Overall, I am going to recommend the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Small? 10" x 6.5" x 8" is smaller than an LS3/5a (or a shoebox) so I'd call it tiny. Very impressive for the size, and I see on the website that the cherry finish is real wood veneer.

Digby

Major Contributor
Nice. I imagine if you run it sans sub, then to many it may sound better than similarly small speakers with a higher drop off in the bass. Perhaps this is worth emphasizing. A lot of these smaller speakers are satellites + buy your own sub, not so with this one, by the looks of it.

I'm eager to see how the Mackie HR824mk2 fares. Bit larger and more expensive, but also with a passive radiator. Do you have one of these lined up in future, Amir?

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I didn't have a Klippel, alas, but came to pretty similar conclusions. Note the distortion spectra. And the lack of any of the supposed Class D artifacts that a couple people here have been trying to FUD with.

We use them now as the speakers in our living room/dining room, and have been extremely happy with them after a couple years of daily use.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I voted for "not terrible" as directivity is quite poor especially for the price and I don't see the big advantage for relatively flat on-axis for a desktop monitor where it is easy and free to use EQ like Equalizer APO to correct it, I'd rather preferred smooth directivity instead which cannot be corrected by EQ. Also at times of a pair JBL LSR or Kali 5-6" costing around $300 this makes no sense to me.
I hear you, but based on Amir's testing, I'd say the king so far in the category seams to be Adam T5V, 400$ a pair. It was mentioned to be a "no contest" Against JBL LSR or Kali. Looks much better to me too. Of course digital inputs is a nice feat that none of those offer tough.

fricccolodics

Used as a desktop monitor the room influence is minimized and the whole frequency response is dominated by on-axis behavior,
good directivity is for the most part wasted in desktop use, except maybe for some monster desks ;)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Used as a desktop monitor the room influence is minimized and the whole frequency response is dominated by on-axis behavior,
good directivity is for the most part wasted in desktop use, except maybe for some monster desks ;)
My experience is different, since especially desktop environment is usually very reflective, from the desktop surface and often close rear and side walls. Also good directivity doesn't really cost more nowadays (just a plastic waveguide) , so why compromise?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear you, but based on Amir's testing, I'd say the king so far in the category seams to be Adam T5V, 400$ a pair. It was mentioned to be a "no contest" Against JBL LSR or Kali. Looks much better to me too. Of course digital inputs is a nice feat that none of those offer tough.
You mean based on his subjective preferences? I personally don't take them too seriously (in opposition to his very valuable measurements) due to several reasons.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
You mean based on his subjective preferences? I personally don't take them too seriously (in opposition to his very valuable measurements) do to several reasons.
At least compared to the JBL, measurments looked a bit better to me too, and well, an audible hiss may not be directly visible in Klippel measurments but it's still pretty objective. What makes you think the superiority of the ADAM is not objective and just taste based? Personally, I do think measurments are more valuable, but when a trained listener do an A/B and we are in "No contest" territory its different than, "I think I prefer this one a bit better" No? Personally, I fully know which is the better speaker at home between my two different systems. Differences in speakers are audible....

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was curious about the sub out and checked the manual. The sub out actually has a real crossover. So often sub outputs are an after thought and are lazily implemented with just a 120 Hz low pass on the sub out with no actual crossover.
If you connect a subwoofer to the T1E with the Flat DSP setting selected,the crossover to the subwoofer is set at 80Hz.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was curious about the sub out and checked the manual. The sub out actually has a real crossover. So often sub outputs are an after thought and are lazily implemented with just a 120 Hz low pass on the sub out with no actual crossover.

Now if only they had put that much attention to detail into the tweeter faceplate! IMO there’s no excuse for a midrange dispersion disruption in a current speaker.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What makes you think the superiority of the ADAM is not objective and just taste based?
If the objective data (measurements) really show so I have no problem of accepting it, my response was general and not directed to a specific comparison pair.
Personally, I do think measurments are more valuable, but when a trained listener do an A/B and we are in "No contest" territory its different than, "I think I prefer this one a bit better" No?
It depends on the listener(s) and the conditions of the comparison, as too many parameters can influence the subjective impressions, hell, even my own systems sound to me much "better" on some days than on others.

PeteL

Major Contributor
If the objective data (measurements) really show so I have no problem of accepting it, my response was general and not directed to a specific comparison pair.

It depends on the listener(s) and the conditions of the comparison, as too many parameters can influence the subjective impressions, hell, even my own systems sound to me much "better" on some days than on others.
Anyway, just saying that the ADAM T5V would be the one I'd go to in this price range, yes mainly based on measurements but I also value Amir's opinion to some extent.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is still not clear despite the replies in the thread... your comment, was it in regard to increase the SPL or decrease?

"Crank the volume way down and there is graceful breakdown with faint static and other distortion."

//
Sorry, up.

calugg

Forum Donor
Oooooo. This review is super handy. I'm always on the look out for good equipment to give as presents (I need more like a root canal). Thank you!!!!! Clearly, we have a winner!

JKJ

I was actively considering buying this very speaker. Amir's review has done nothing to dissuade me...

I think the key with a product like this is to consider that the intended audience is true desktop audio - someone who is looking for something (significantly) better than a Logitech computer speaker, but doesn't have the tabletop real estate to use passive separates or a "bookshelf" speaker with a 5- or 6-inch woofer. In fact, the Transport One Encore sits at the absolute upper limit of how big of a speaker I'm able to put on my computer desk, so something like the Adam T5V or the JBLs or a KEF LSX is simply too big. From what my research has dug up, this Vanatoo (or its little brother the T0), or the Eve SC203 represent about as much performance as you can pack into a small box.

If you compare against a stand-mounted bookshelf speaker or studio monitor that will be heard midfield or farther, then these "tiny" speakers are clearly and easily beaten by well designed competitors. In a way, a premium is being paid here for the privilege of small size, so dollar-for-dollar they aren't quite as capable as a well engineered larger box.

Top Bottom