• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vanatoo Transparent One Encore (Powered Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 32 14.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 160 71.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 29 12.9%

• Total voters

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I Highly doubt that can perform better than the Genelec 8020 which is smaller a bit. Happy to be proven wrong... Now even the 8010, now we are talking tiny... will not have the extension in the bass maybe... In all cases, there are a few proven performers in the tiny desktop category, I don't feel what I see here show the end all absolute of how much performance in a shoebox size speaker.

Might be worth your time trying out a Devialet Phantom Reactor: Three way with even dispersion vertically and horizontally, very extended bass. If the app worked flawlessly, I'd likely have kept those for nearfield use instead of moving to the Genelec 8260 and a larger system. Costs way more, but I think that's the current state of the art for small speakers.

a2Thompson

I wonder how long this was in the waiting line O_O

I had a few questions. Was it tested with digital input or analogue input?. Oh no, Amir confirmed analogue input again :[

Also, any idea what sort of settings this was tested in? There is a toggle between two settings for DSP, and a Limiter. I think I also commented something along these lines back when the smaller sibling Zero was reviewed way back when.

Likewise there was a firmware update long ago to address this beaming issue to some extent I think. Not sure how long that unit you tested has been in the package room, but it may have something to do with it.
I am also wondering if @amirm made these measurements with or without the firmware update (https://vanatoo.com/support/download/transparent-one-encore-software/). Evidently, this was prompted by previous review by http://noaudiophile.com/Vanatoo_Transparent_One_Encore/. I have these speakers and they are quite nice and very detailed. I use them for far-field listening with a sub, so I might try some of these EQ suggestions, but I also loaded the firmware update, which according to noaudiophile altered the response in the upper frequencies.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I did not update the firmware so it is whatever it was from year and a half back. Company did confirm my measurements being similar to theirs though. As for settings, I used whatever is the default.

moth3r

I did not update the firmware so it is whatever it was from year and a half back. Company did confirm my measurements being similar to theirs though. As for settings, I used whatever is the default.
Any chance you can test it with the new one too? I also think that units sold in 2020 or later have one as well. Thank you!

hex168

Can someone explain why directivity is not better than it is? I would not expect a 3" woofer to start to beam at that low a frequency.

Maiky76

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore powered/computer speaker. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $599 for a pair (in black and cherry).
View attachment 196645

This is small speaker but is quite heavy for its size and feels quite dense. All the electronics are in one speaker and four wires drive the slave indicating active (DSP) configuration. Back panel shows very rich connectivity (including remote control which is not shown):
View attachment 196646

You are not going to find features like digital input, sub out, etc. in any budget professional monitor but you have it here and then some. That passive radiator is a serious looking thing in person as well.

Measurements that you are about to see were performed using the Klippel Near-field Scanner (NFS). This is a robotic measurement system that analyzes the speaker all around and is able (using advanced mathematics and dual scan) to subtract room reflections (so where I measure it doesn't matter). It also measures the speaker at close distance ("near-field") which sharply reduces the impact of room noise. Both of these factors enable testing in ordinary rooms yet results that can be more accurate than an anechoic chamber. In a nutshell, the measurements show the actual sound coming out of the speaker independent of the room.

Measurements are compliant with latest speaker research into what can predict the speaker preference and is standardized in CEA/CTA-2034 ANSI specifications. Likewise listening tests are performed per research that shows mono listening is much more revealing of differences between speakers than stereo or multichannel.

Reference axis was the center of the tweeter (aligned by eye). Measurement room was at 15 degrees C. No grill was used.

Vanatoo Transparent One Encore Measurements
Acoustic measurements can be grouped in a way that can be perceptually analyzed to determine how good a speaker is and how it can be used in a room. This so called spinorama shows us just about everything we need to know about the speaker with respect to tonality and some flaws:

View attachment 196647

On axis is impressively flat and extends quite low for such a small speaker. Unfortunately the woofer beams (narrows its response) before tweeter takes over with its broad beam so we have some directivity error. Back to bass, we see the low frequency tuning of the passive radiator:

View attachment 196649

And its superiority over open port in suppressing cabinet/port resonances. Without this, you get mid-frequency colorations which are nicely absent here.

Here are the early reflections and predicted in-room response:

View attachment 196663

View attachment 196664

Distortion is nicely controlled at 86 dBSPL:
View attachment 196650

View attachment 196651

Beamwidth clearly shows the directivity error:
View attachment 196652

View attachment 196653

Vertical directivity is as expected. Point the tweeter to your ear vertically:
View attachment 196654

For people who are fans of timing tests, here you are:
View attachment 196655

View attachment 196656

View attachment 196657

Speaker Listening Tests
I chose to test the TE1 on my desk as I see it as more of a nice computer speaker than stand-alone. Placed on the corner of my desk and near the wall, I was most impressed by the amount of bass out of this speaker. I think it goes deeper than just about any speaker I have tested in its size in the same location. Crank the volume way up and there is graceful breakdown with faint static and other distortion. Overall tonality was on the warm side.

I attempted to use the predicted in-room response to develop EQ. I put in a boost in the dip area and pulled down the bass a bit. This gave me a light and airy signature and tighter bass. But I could not convince myself that it was better for all music so I am not going to show it. Seems in near field on-axis response is dominant.

I then sat back, working on writing this review and enjoying the sound of this speaker.

Conclusions
Clearly good engineering has gone into this speaker with active DSP design and flat on-axis response. Really the only flaw is directivity error in crossover region which I found in near-field listening to not be as important. However, response may be more room/location dependent than if the directivity was fully controlled.

Overall, I am going to recommend the Vanatoo Transparent One Encore.

Edit: here is the video review:

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi,

Here is my take on the EQ.

Please report your finding positive or negative!

The following EQs are “anechoic” EQs to get the speaker right before room integration. If you able to implement these EQs you must add EQ at LF for room integration, that is usually not optional… see hints there: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...helf-speaker-review.11144/page-26#post-800725

The raw data with corrected ER and PIR:

Score no EQ: 4.6
With Sub: 6.9

Spinorama with no EQ:
Not as Flat as i would expect, maybe because the multimedia usage?
Mismatch between the tweeter and the woofer!

Vanatoo Transparent One No EQ Spinorama.png

Directivity:
Better stay at tweeter height
Horizontally, better toe-in the speakers by 0/10deg and have the axis crossing in front of the listening location, might help dosing the upper range.

Vanatoo Transparent One 2D surface Directivity Contour Only Data.png

Vanatoo Transparent One LW data.png

EQ design:

I have generated two EQs. The APO config files are attached.
  • The first one, labelled, LW is targeted at making the LW flat
  • The second, labelled Score, starts with the first one and adds the score as an optimization variable.
  • The EQs are designed in the context of regular stereo use i.e. domestic environment, no warranty is provided for a near field use in a studio environment although the LW might be better suited for this purpose.
  • Near field usage may be not accurately captured by the score

Score EQ LW: 4.8
with sub: 7.4

Score EQ Score: 5.4
with sub: 7.9

Code:
Vanatoo Transparent One APO EQ LW 96000Hz
April062022-124138

Preamp: -3 dB

Filter 1: ON HPQ Fc 69.62,    0.00,    1.31
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 259.05,    -0.87,    1.29
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2885.17,    1.29,    0.87
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 7056.61,    -0.93,    2.33
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 13516.60,    2.98,    0.59

Vanatoo Transparent One APO EQ Score 96000Hz
April062022-123434

Preamp: -3 dB

Filter 1: ON HP Fc 69.79,    0.00,    1.32
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 264.34,    -1.09,    1.04
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 2401.40,    1.03,    1.89
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 6929.83,    -1.14,    1.69
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 13115.99,    3.15,    1.27

Vanatoo Transparent One EQ Design.png

Spinorama EQ LW
Vanatoo Transparent One LW EQ Spinorama.png

Spinorama EQ Score
Vanatoo Transparent One Score EQ Spinorama.png

Zoom PIR-LW-ON
Vanatoo Transparent One Zoom.png

Regression - Tonal
Vanatoo Transparent One Regression - TOnal.png

Radar no EQ vs EQ score
Nice improvements
Vanatoo Transparent One Radar.png

The rest of the plots is attached.

EDIT:
Perhaps, I have been a little too stringent with the LF.
If the HPF parameters are switch to:
59.79Hz 0.00dB, Q1.32
The LF extension is restored to its initial value with a marginal increase in score.
Vanatoo Transparent One Score LF EQ Spinorama.png

Attachments

• Vanatoo Transparent One APO EQ Score 96000Hz.txt
    305 bytes · Views: 45
  • Vanatoo Transparent One Vertical 3D Directivity data.png
    Vanatoo Transparent One Vertical 3D Directivity data.png
    398 KB · Views: 57
  • Vanatoo Transparent One Horizontal 3D Directivity data.png
    Vanatoo Transparent One Horizontal 3D Directivity data.png
    383 KB · Views: 65
  • Vanatoo Transparent One Normalized Directivity data.png
    Vanatoo Transparent One Normalized Directivity data.png
    296.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Vanatoo Transparent One Raw Directivity data.png
    Vanatoo Transparent One Raw Directivity data.png
    427.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Vanatoo Transparent One Reflexion data.png
    Vanatoo Transparent One Reflexion data.png
    132.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Vanatoo Transparent One 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    Vanatoo Transparent One 2D surface Directivity Contour Data.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Vanatoo Transparent One 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    Vanatoo Transparent One 3D surface Vertical Directivity Data.png
    453.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Vanatoo Transparent One 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    Vanatoo Transparent One 3D surface Horizontal Directivity Data.png
    441.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't understand some of the comparisons or criticisms that have been made of this speaker. It is designed primarily as a speaker to be used for non-professional listening at a computer, and for that use, it tests better than any other speaker Amir has measured. If you are willing to add a subwoofer, then the Edifier Airpulse A100 is a viable competitor (albeit at a ridiculously high price in America), and if you have the room on your desk and a separate DAC, then many of the powered monitors are better, but as a small-footprint standalone complete package for near field high fidelity listening, this has the overall best measurements. And then it adds bluetooth, as well.

After two of reading ASR, I know a lot more about audio products than I did before, yet in one respect nothing has changed for me. Two years ago, I was on the verge of buying these. Now, I've seen test results of dozen of speakers, yet these are still the speakers I would buy for my desk if the events of the last two years had not radically changed my situation and priorities.

yahrightthere

I don't understand some of the comparisons or criticisms that have been made of this speaker. It is designed primarily as a speaker to be used for non-professional listening at a computer, and for that use, it tests better than any other speaker Amir has measured. If you are willing to add a subwoofer, then the Edifier Airpulse A100 is a viable competitor (albeit at a ridiculously high price in America), and if you have the room on your desk and a separate DAC, then many of the powered monitors are better, but as a small-footprint standalone complete package for near field high fidelity listening, this has the overall best measurements. And then it adds bluetooth, as well.

After two of reading ASR, I know a lot more about audio products than I did before, yet in one respect nothing has changed for me. Two years ago, I was on the verge of buying these. Now, I've seen test results of dozen of speakers, yet these are still the speakers I would buy for my desk if the events of the last two years had not radically changed my situation and priorities.
Did it test better than the Adam T5V ? At least for me the comparison of use is the same, either way I don't think you can loose on either speaker setup depending on your needs of functionality. Speaking for myself I'd probably go with the Adam T5V for my desktop due to measurement, price & praise from fearless leader.

Walter

Did it test better than the Adam T5V ? At least for me the comparison of use is the same, either way I don't think you can loose on either speaker setup depending on your needs of functionality. Speaking for myself I'd probably go with the Adam T5V for my desktop due to measurement, price & praise from fearless leader.
No. Like I said, there are several monitors that test better, but they lack a DAC and are considerably larger. T5Vs are great but it is an apples to oranges comparison that people keep making, and I don't understand why. A small passive bookshelf would be a more apt comparison from a size perspective (I'm actually planning to buy a Wharfdale Diamond 12.0 and Aiyima D03), and yet nobody brings those up. The T1s would fit on my desk. The 12 inch deep T5Vs absolutely won't unless I point them straight ahead, and then they would likely sound worse that the T1s and they protrude several inches in front of my monitors.

yahrightthere

No. Like I said, there are several monitors that test better, but they lack a DAC and are considerably larger. T5Vs are great but it is an apples to oranges comparison that people keep making, and I don't understand why. A small passive bookshelf would be a more apt comparison from a size perspective (I'm actually planning to buy a Wharfdale Diamond 12.0 and Aiyima D03), and yet nobody brings those up. The T1s would fit on my desk. The 12 inch deep T5Vs absolutely won't unless I point them straight ahead, and then they would likely sound worse that the T1s and they protrude several inches in front of my monitors.
Yes, As stated it depends on your need of functionality, if that works for you great, you will be happy for your choice.
As i already have a dac/heaphone amp on my desk so that's not an issue for me.
As i don't do critical listening & am more into the enjoyment of the music & can EQ to my hearts content, I should be happy with the dac/headphone amp, headphones & feel the Adam T5Vs setup on my eight foot bench.
I've seen reviews & talk about the Wharfdale Diamond 12.0 & those who own them like them, though I'm not familiar with the Aiyima D03.
I'd like to see fearless leader review & measure that amp before you buy it though, as there are some good amps out there that maybe a better fit.
Like i said either way you'd not be wrong.

Walter

Yes. I just don't understand why people keep making the comparison to pro monitors and criticisms. I don't remember that happening on the Airpulse or Yu 6 threads, but maybe I just didn't notice. When someone writes "'ll just keep my <insert monitor model>," I immediately think, "of course, why do you even need to mention it?" I would definitely expect the monitors--at least the better ones--to provide better performance for someone who has the room for them and doesn't mind using a DAC. The only really valid comparison in that class is the iLoud MTM.
I'd like to see fearless leader review & measure that amp before you buy it though, as there are some good amps out there that maybe a better fit.
Not in my area at the prices here. A07 + Sanskrit II or D10S are probably better, at least measurably, but also 50% more expensive. Cost is a big part of my decision--I can get this combo for $330 and a trip of a few hundred miles that I plan to make in the next couple of months anyway. The T1E costs almost twice as much and would have to be carried in my luggage (or a friend's if I could talk someone into bringing them) on an 8000 mile trip that I won't be making before October at the very earliest. Plus, passive speakers should last 20 years or longer (about like me) and the D03 can just be replaced whenever it dies. The Vanatoos, not so much.

Last edited:

yahrightthere

Yes. I just don't understand why people keep making the comparison to pro monitors and criticisms. I don't remember that happening on the Airpulse or Yu 6 threads, but maybe I just didn't notice. When someone writes "'ll just keep my <insert monitor model>, I immediately think, "of course, why do you even need to mention it?" I would definitely expect the monitors--at least the better ones--to provide better performance for someone who has the room for them and doesn't mind using a DAC. The only really valid comparison in that class is the iLoud MTM.

Not in my area at the prices here. A07 + Sanskrit II or D10S probably better, at least measurably, but also 50% more expensive.
People can mention what they would go with or even mention they'd keep what they have just as you did when you stated you'd go with the Vantoos,
Just like I stated my preference for the Adam T5V & others have stated what their preference would be for a set-up would be.
I think most (as do I) feel these the Vantoos would be a good option in the right situation.
I've a pair of HiVi Swan M300s in my living room that i was planning on moving to my bench after buying HiVi Swan M5A.
Upon delivery the UPS driver literally dropped them off the back of the truck & i refused delivery.
Unfortunately Amazon is out of stock & have been unable to find them in the USA, & my search continues for a larger powered speaker to replace the Swan M300 in the living room. Really had my heart set on the Swan M5A though.
So while I understand you stating the comparison is apple to oranges, to me it's not a big deal to add a DAC or have a little larger foot print, but again depends or ones needs & situation.
Hope you can get the Vantoos if you want them & are happy with the set-up results.

Last edited:

Walter

People can mention what they would go with or even mention they'd keep what they have just as you did when you stated you'd go with the Vantoos,
Just like I stated my preference for the Adam T5V & others have stated what their preference would be for a set-up would be.
I think most (as do I) feel these the Vantoos would be a good option in the right situation.
I've a pair of HiVi Swan M300s in my living room that i was planning on moving to my bench after buying HiVi Swan M5A.
Upon delivery the UPS driver literally dropped them off the back of the truck & i refused delivery.
Unfortunately Amazon is out of stock & have been unable to find them in the USA, & my search continues for a larger powered speaker to replace the Swan M300 in the living room. Really had my heart set on the Swan M5A though.
So while I understand you stating the comparison is apple to oranges, to me it's not a big deal to add a DAC or have a little larger foot print, but again depends or ones needs & situation.
Hope you can get the Vantoos if you want them & are happy with the set-up results.
Yeah, all the Swans/Hi-vi stuff just disappeared off Amazon a few months ago. I'm not sure if it is supply chain issues, or what. I find their speakers to be horribly overpriced in the USA but when I lived in China and could get them for 1/4 the price, I thought they were fantastic.

C. Cook

Had a pair of these about 3 years ago right around the time they first came out. Mine had several issues associated - I think - with the DSP implementation. One was that it would start making all kinds of strange noises with certain settings in place and I had to revert to default on the treble and bass (among others, I forget the exact functionality) and Vanatoo wasn't able to come up with a fix even after replacing the first pair when I sent them an email with an audio recording of the issue. I eventually gave up and sold them on Craigslist.

At the time I also left a "meh" review for them on Amazon, where I had purchased them, and this was when people could respond to reviews (no longer possible). I got a metric ton of hate from Vanatoo fans with no intervention from the company, who was also actively responding to some reviews, so I've written them off for perpetuity.

Still, in the right use case, they are probably very good little speakers for the money and I'm guessing since 2017/2018 they've fixed some of the issues.

fabius

Another good direct comparison is with the Audioengine A5+ speakers: powered desktop speakers; one main speaker with a cable to the second; USB, RCA, and 3.5mm inputs; RCA output for a sub.

Walter

Another good direct comparison is with the Audioengine A5+ speakers: powered desktop speakers; one main speaker with a cable to the second; USB, RCA, and 3.5mm inputs; RCA output for a sub.

It doesn't have a USB input or any kind of DAC. It is actually a USB power port for charging phones or whatever. Weird. Also no Bluetooth. But yeah, I'm sure a lot of people who buy one considered the other, and the performance is pretty similar. And the price difference nicely covers a Topping DX3Pro+.

Top Bottom