• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultimate End Game Value Search (HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 vs. Dan Clark Expanse) [New or Used]

metasharp

Grab a Dan Clark Stealth. No discussion. It bests the Expanse.

jonfitch

Looks like HE1000 Stealth is down to $1399 and the HEKSE has been discounted to $1999. Wonder if this means they are going to release *another* update soon?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My 2 cents : If you got access to EQ, get yourself an HD 800S and EQ to your taste and enjoy them. If you don't have access too EQ, get access to EQ. For what it is worth, I do own a pair of HE1000v2 and they are great.

metasharp

For wired Headphone :
Dan Clark Audio Stealth => No need to EQ + better perf than EQed headphones + closed so less outside noise + sounds better than the best open ones => No brainer, since it will also work when you can't apply an EQ.

Draw backs: no microphone, no portability. I would love to get a bluetooth one from DCA. It will appear when the codecs are good enough I guess.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the price of 3 HE1000 Stealths :rolleyes:
EXACTLY. There needs to be a review of the HEK Stealth on here, because with this new option they’ve tamed the highs and raised the bass shelf by 6db, offering their most Harman-tuned headphone yet—and I’m betting it comes darn near close to the DCA at a third of the cost and almost 10 points higher in sensitivity. And there literally is no more comfortable headphone on the planet.

I own the HEK Stealth and the HEKse, and I can’t discern a difference in resolution between the two—the HEK Stealth is all I listen to these days while my Utopias and Meze Elites and HEKses are gathering dust.

I’ve always admired this site for championing the Chinese brands that offer superlative performance at a fraction of the cost. I think the DCAs are terrific, but I think it’s time we apply those same values to Chinese headphone manufacturers and check out Hifiman’s newest offerings, because they’re really gunning for Harman of late (the Arya Organic and Ananda Nano have also been completely retuned with big oomphs in the bass).

Maybe I’ll send my HEK Stealths in for review to get this idea started…

jonfitch

EXACTLY. There needs to be a review of the HEK Stealth on here, because with this new option they’ve tamed the highs and raised the bass shelf by 6db, offering their most Harman-tuned headphone yet—and I’m betting it comes darn near close to the DCA at a third of the cost and almost 10 points higher in sensitivity. And there literally is no more comfortable headphone on the planet.

I own the HEK Stealth and the HEKse, and I can’t discern a difference in resolution between the two—the HEK Stealth is all I listen to these days while my Utopias and Meze Elites and HEKses are gathering dust.

I’ve always admired this site for championing the Chinese brands that offer superlative performance at a fraction of the cost. I think the DCAs are terrific, but I think it’s time we apply those same values to Chinese headphone manufacturers and check out Hifiman’s newest offerings, because they’re really gunning for Harman of late (the Arya Organic and Ananda Nano have also been completely retuned with big oomphs in the bass).

Maybe I’ll send my HEK Stealths in for review to get this idea started…

1690868105384.png

Isn't the HE1000 much brighter than the HE1000SE which is closer to harman neutral? This was the only comparative measurement I could see based on Passion for Sound's HE1000 Stealth review.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the HE1000 much brighter than the HE1000SE which is closer to harman neutral? This was the only comparative measurement I could see based on Passion for Sound's HE1000 Stealth review.
People do attribute mythical transformation to them, but all Stealth Magnets do is to increase in upper treble region >10K compared to originals. Here are 2 examples from Arya and HE1000, both measured with the same rig respectively.

1690869564258.png

1690869611465.png

Passion for Sound - isn't that the guy that talks about the sound of linear power supplies and cables and DACs all day? Yeah - no thanks.

jonfitch

People do attribute mythical transformation to them, but all Stealth Magnets do is to increase in upper treble region >10K compared to originals. Here are 2 examples from Arya and HE1000, both measured with the same rig respectively.

View attachment 302603

View attachment 302604

Passion for Sound - isn't that the guy that talks about the sound of linear power supplies and cables and DACs all day? Yeah - no thanks.

Do you have a link to the Techpowerup review for the HE1000 Stealth? I can't seem to find it. Thanks

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have a link to the Techpowerup review for the HE1000 Stealth? I can't seem to find it. Thanks
I do not I am afraid. I don't know about Techpowerup, just got the graphs from squig.link.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 302600

That review is bunk. He’s an active ASR antagonist and has propagated a prodigious amount of audio woo. I own both the HEK Stealth and the HEKse, and although I think the se is a monumental headphone, it can be a bit bright and fatiguing on some tracks. The Stealth, along with HFM’s newest revisions (the Arya Organic and Ananda Nano) have all been retuned to raise the bass shelf about 6db, and although I haven’t seen a reputable FRC for the Stealth, I do not find it fatiguing at all—and I’ve listened to the two side by side on a myriad of tracks for a few months. This is only my anecdotal experience and I have 54 year old ears, full disclosure.

I encourage anyone to avail themselves of Amazon’s no questions asked return policy and audition it for themselves. The DCAs have been properly tested on here and I’ve listened to the Expanse—it is indeed extraordinary. But for a third the cost, the HEK Stealth is equally extraordinary to my ears right out of the box, has an incomparable fit that is very forgiving of head placement, has an impeccable build (unlike prior claims of QC issues that I believe have been addressed, at least among HFM’s offerings at these price points), and now come with very nice cable options.

I own the Utopias, Meze Elites, Sony Z1Rs, HFM Edition XS, Ananda Nano, HEKse and now the HEK Stealth, and the latter is all I listen to these days. What they do offer for the rock and other modern genres I prefer, is pure fun—the technical qualities are all there but they have a physicality and excitement that I haven’t found in any other “TOTL” headphone. Try them!

Qusk

That review is bunk. He’s an active ASR antagonist and has propagated a prodigious amount of audio woo. I own both the HEK Stealth and the HEKse, and although I think the se is a monumental headphone, it can be a bit bright and fatiguing on some tracks. The Stealth, along with HFM’s newest revisions (the Arya Organic and Ananda Nano) have all been retuned to raise the bass shelf about 6db, and although I haven’t seen a reputable FRC for the Stealth, I do not find it fatiguing at all—and I’ve listened to the two side by side on a myriad of tracks for a few months. This is only my anecdotal experience and I have 54 year old ears, full disclosure.

I encourage anyone to avail themselves of Amazon’s no questions asked return policy and audition it for themselves. The DCAs have been properly tested on here and I’ve listened to the Expanse—it is indeed extraordinary. But for a third the cost, the HEK Stealth is equally extraordinary to my ears right out of the box, has an incomparable fit that is very forgiving of head placement, has an impeccable build (unlike prior claims of QC issues that I believe have been addressed, at least among HFM’s offerings at these price points), and now come with very nice cable options.

I own the Utopias, Meze Elites, Sony Z1Rs, HFM Edition XS, Ananda Nano, HEKse and now the HEK Stealth, and the latter is all I listen to these days. What they do offer for the rock and other modern genres I prefer, is pure fun—the technical qualities are all there but they have a physicality and excitement that I haven’t found in any other “TOTL” headphone. Try them!

HE1000 Stealth is extraordinary indeed, I fully agree! Did you check for imbalances (4 Khz region) with a tool like this https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ ? Please lower your volume and take off your headphones before pressing play and read the warning box to not damage your ears.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hi everyone. I've been doing a bunch of research and I believe I have finally come down to two high end headphones for my ultimate end game value search.

HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 & Dan Clark Audio Expanse

It looks like I can purchase the HIFIMAN for $2,000 new and the Dan Clark Audio Expanse used for about $3,000.

Just curious .... What did you end up with after you asked this question 8 months ago ?

Qusk

What am I looking for? Is channel imbalance a thing?
When you use the slider through the frequencies, hear if the volume shifts (increases or decreases) from left and/or to the right. If it's imbalanced the volume is not matched in both cups at the same time.

antaresvii

Forum Donor

Top Bottom