• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark E3 Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 32 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 160 76.9%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received mine. I won't be selling my HD800S but I find no good reason to retain my closed headphone arsenal (even the Ether CX doesn't stand a chance).
What do you do with your HD800s re EQ if indeed you do EQ it? I'm guessing you use E3 at stock. Assuming that how does HD800s compare to E3, whilst also assuming you're probably EQ'ing to the same curve?

paudio

Just received mine. I won't be selling my HD800S but I find no good reason to retain my closed headphone arsenal (even the Ether CX doesn't stand a chance).
No demo was available unfortunately. Too much money for me to order without hearing. Potentially just too much money even if I do hear them :eek:

No demo was available unfortunately. Too much money for me to order without hearing. Potentially just too much money even if I do hear them :eek:
It's a lot of money to be sure, though the 15% off for previous buyers was much appreciated. I have owned many headphones and still have several around to compare to. The problem with many sealed headphones for me is the vocals, which tend to sound unnatural. When I switch from the HD650 to the E3 there is no tonality issue for me, only added clarity and bass definition with the E3. I can't say that about any other sealed headphone I've used. Compared to the HD800S the E3 lacks that unique layering the Sennheiser offers but the bass is cleaner and deeper with the E3. I do EQ the HD800S and have played with EQ on the E3; its neutrality and transparency make it ideal for EQing, but it doesn't need it. Ultimately the E3 allows me to listen to music with very high clarity, honesty, and intimacy. Here's a shot of a comparison with Dan Clark's other sealed cans and the HD800S.

Attachments

• PXL_20240421_025825576.jpg
    PXL_20240421_025825576.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 59

drey

Does anyone have experience driving these with various amps? The bass is quite weaker compared to the Aeon 2 Noire, but I'm driving these with the Topping DX5. I get plenty of volume even at -20db, but the bass is just lacking compared to the Noire's. I'm trying to figure out if the E3 are just more power hungry and need a better amp.

I had a similar problem with the Noire's before: When running them through the DX3 Pro the bass was much more subdued, while with the DX5 I actually have to EQ and lower the bass because it rumbles too much.

Now I'm thinking if I have a similar problem with the E3's where I'll need a much more powerful (and expensive) amp to get these to have the full bass impact.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone have experience driving these with various amps? The bass is quite weaker compared to the Aeon 2 Noire, but I'm driving these with the Topping DX5. I get plenty of volume even at -20db, but the bass is just lacking compared to the Noire's. I'm trying to figure out if the E3 are just more power hungry and need a better amp.

I had a similar problem with the Noire's before: When running them through the DX3 Pro the bass was much more subdued, while with the DX5 I actually have to EQ and lower the bass because it rumbles too much.

Now I'm thinking if I have a similar problem with the E3's where I'll need a much more powerful (and expensive) amp to get these to have the full bass impact.
As long as it's getting loud enough then you're probably imagining all of the differences.

Grobbelboy

The bass bump around 100Hz is clearly more pronounced on the Noire than the E3, that likely causes the difference you’re hearing.

Top Bottom