• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark E3 Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 32 15.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 160 76.9%

• Total voters

lowmagnet

The key concept of tuning around the Harman response is that it replicates the tone of a good speaker in a good room using a target based on decades of research. That and then the AMTS taking the “room” in the ear pad out of the equation…
Sufficiently advanced technology appears as magic. :D

Laphr

The key concept of tuning around the Harman response is that it replicates the tone of a good speaker in a good room using a target based on decades of research. That and then the AMTS taking the “room” in the ear pad out of the equation…

So you get a more “speaker-like” upper range but without the room colorations in the bass and middle registers, in some ways the absence of standing waves kind of makes it the best of headphones and speakers.
Appreciate the answer, thanks.

ttyS0

E3s showed up yesterday! I'm impressed with how well they sound. I keep forgetting that they're planars. In that same vein, I also keep forgetting they're closed back. The combination of isolation and open sound is wild!

I've been wearing them most of yesterday and today, and the comfort is top notch. I was a little concerned that the ears might get too warm, but while they're warmer than my other headphones they don't progress into discomfort, or even annoyance. At the moment I'm using them with a xDuoo TA-22, and it has no problem driving them, even at low gain.

I was on the fence about picking these up, and am very happy that I took the plunge!

NoteMakoti

Sad to report that after trying the E3 and Stealth back to back at Canjam NYC, I still prefer the Stealth. I can't be helped. :facepalm:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sad to report that after trying the E3 and Stealth back to back at Canjam NYC, I still prefer the Stealth. I can't be helped. :facepalm:
As good as the Stealths are, I did not like them!
That bass hump, and a soft sound, is not for me. I suppose it takes all sorts.
Don't get me wrong, for £1200, I would possibly buy one. I bought an LCD-XC. the LCDs are not as comfortable, a bit too bright etc. But somehow they boogie, when Stealths couldn't. :confused:

lowmagnet

I've been wearing them most of yesterday and today, and the comfort is top notch. I was a little concerned that the ears might get too warm, but while they're warmer than my other headphones they don't progress into discomfort, or even annoyance. At the moment I'm using them with a xDuoo TA-22, and it has no problem driving them, even at low gain.
From descriptions of comfort, matching Harman (with opinions!) and descriptions of distortion characteristics, I really picked comfort for a lot of my lean into this as my next pair.

I spend at least 8 hours a day wearing phones. They have to be un-fidgety and self-adjusting, and E3 ticks both boxes.

They also have to be quiet because of the beep beep beep next door (lumber yard)

HD800Fan

Had a chance to listen to the E3, Stealth and the Expanse today, and wow, the E3 blew me away. Couldn't believe it was a closed-back and it sounded better than the other two in my opinion.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Super Review found the E3 to be clearly better than the Meze Liric II.

HD800Fan

Will you be changing your name to E3Fan? :)

How does it compare to HD800?
I didn't have them side by side so I can't say.
Without EQ the E3 is the better headphone for sure, but with EQ the original HD800 is just so good imo. Maybe I'll have to get an E3 home and do a proper comparison.

EduardoP

I didn't have them side by side so I can't say.
Without EQ the E3 is the better headphone for sure, but with EQ the original HD800 is just so good imo. Maybe I'll have to get an E3 home and do a proper comparison.
I’d love to see the comparison

paudio

So has anyone replaced their Aeon 2 Noires with an E3? I'm always boosting sub bass on my Noires and I've got the thicker white filters in as I am very treble sensitive.

So has anyone replaced their Aeon 2 Noires with an E3? I'm always boosting sub bass on my Noires and I've got the thicker white filters in as I am very treble sensitive.
The E3 are a much better headphone sound-wise. In comparison the Aeon 2 Noires are hazy and severely lacking in dynamics/punch. It's not really close either.
The only advantage the Noires have is that for me the comfort is considerably better. I appear to have a very large head, so the auto-adjusting headband of the E3 puts noticeable pressure on the top of my head.

paudio

The E3 are a much better headphone sound-wise. In comparison the Aeon 2 Noires are hazy and severely lacking in dynamics/punch. It's not really close either.
The only advantage the Noires have is that for me the comfort is considerably better. I appear to have a very large head, so the auto-adjusting headband of the E3 puts noticeable pressure on the top of my head.
I'm not too sure how I would fair with the new auto adjustable headband either. I don't find the Aeon 2 Noire lacking other than some subbass quantity and fatigue without filters. Would be interesting to hear an E3 for sure. If it's less comfortable though I think there is no way I am spending the cash.

paradoxical3

The E3 is very, very good. I picked one up and I am very surprised by the soundstage for closed cans. For context, they are not speakers - no headphone will ever replace speakers soundstage until they can do Spatial Audio like Apple. But for normal headphones, they are really wonderful and are easily the best closed headphone I've ever tried.

paudio

I am hopefully going to demo an E3 next week. Not sure if I would buy one though. It's a bit more than I'd like to spend and I quite like my A2N

I am hopefully going to demo an E3 next week. Not sure if I would buy one though. It's a bit more than I'd like to spend and I quite like my A2N
Just received mine. I won't be selling my HD800S but I find no good reason to retain my closed headphone arsenal (even the Ether CX doesn't stand a chance).

Top Bottom