• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 34 19.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 45.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 55 31.8%

• Total voters

Dexter_prog

the product names on this brand seems quite confusing to me. Can anyone clarify if the "Aeon 2" in red are the same as the "noire" but just in red, or if a different headphone altogether?

edit: meant "Aeon"

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
the product names on this brand seems quite confusing to me. Can anyone clarify if the "Aire 2" in red are the same as the "noire" but just in red, or if a different headphone altogether?
Suspect you mean the Aeon 2. The noire is the same base unit but obviously black paint but more importantly different pads that change the frequency response.

Dexter_prog

Suspect you mean the Aeon 2. The noire is the same base unit but obviously black paint but more importantly different pads that change the frequency response.
yes, sorry! I meant Aeon, haha. OK, so there IS a difference., and wow didn't know that pads could change the sound

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
yes, sorry! I meant Aeon, haha. OK, so there IS a difference., and wow didn't know that pads could change the sound
Don't ask me which is which but one is semi perforated.

DCA pads are not cheap and have sticky rather than clip on to affix so wouldnt look to regularly swap pads. But if you got a bargain on either flavour you could convert to the other style in terms of sound quite easily.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Although in theory, the Aeon 2 once retrofitted with the Noire's Perforated pads should measure just like the Noire, oratory1990's measurements of all three configurations show that there's still a difference:
Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 Harman compensated Frequency Response.png

Seems like if one wants Harman ear gain, buying the Aeon 2 then changing the pads yourself is the way to go.

drey

Hey guys! I had an issue with my left ear phone dropping in volume seemingly randomly at times. Often shaking the headphones a bit would somewhat fix the issue but not entirely. The warranty is almost expired so I thought what the heck I might as well try to fix it myself.

I'm happy to report that the headphones are extremely easy to service & repair. The inner construction is very simple. Just make sure to snap photos of every step and also make sure to use the right length screws and screw them in their right place and you're golden. The smaller inner ring screws hold the driver, the longer screws attach to the casing on the outer edges.

In terms of the actual issue I've noticed the two signal wires were twisted and very close to being in contact with each other. The wires that are soldered to the cable plug contacts don't have any insulating material (I mean at the solder point). I don't think that's unusual for most products. But if they were insulated I'd assume this problem wouldn't occur in the first place.

I've just placed some insulating duct tape between the contacts and it seems this resolved the issue. It might have also been a loose contact issue but it's hard to tell.

I've read reports online of other people experiencing similar issues with volume drops. Hope this helps anyone else that has an out of warranty pair and can't get it fixed by DCA for whatever reason.

Edit: Correction about insulating material, I meant at the solder point not the entire length of the wire.

paudio

Hey guys! I had an issue with my left ear phone dropping in volume seemingly randomly at times. Often shaking the headphones a bit would somewhat fix the issue but not entirely. The warranty is almost expired so I thought what the heck I might as well try to fix it myself.

I'm happy to report that the headphones are extremely easy to service & repair. The inner construction is very simple. Just make sure to snap photos of every step and also make sure to use the right length screws and screw them in their right place and you're golden. The smaller inner ring screws hold the driver, the longer screws attach to the casing on the outer edges.

In terms of the actual issue I've noticed the two signal wires were twisted and very close to being in contact with each other. The wires that are soldered to the cable plug contacts don't have any insulating material (I mean at the solder point). I don't think that's unusual for most products. But if they were insulated I'd assume this problem wouldn't occur in the first place.

I've just placed some insulating duct tape between the contacts and it seems this resolved the issue. It might have also been a loose contact issue but it's hard to tell.

I've read reports online of other people experiencing similar issues with volume drops. Hope this helps anyone else that has an out of warranty pair and can't get it fixed by DCA for whatever reason.

Edit: Correction about insulating material, I meant at the solder point not the entire length of the wire.
Unless they were actually touching those rigid metal contacts sticking out the end of the hirose connector I don't think would move enough? They were probably twisted to keep slack from vibrating inside the cups. From what I gather from various sources including previously in this thread is that there were some batches of drivers prone to this exact kind of issue. Imbalance or volume drop that occurs intermittently. I think I've read about 5-10 cases so far online with those kinds of symptoms.

I would send them in for warranty if you can.

drey

Unless they were actually touching those rigid metal contacts sticking out the end of the hirose connector I don't think would move enough? They were probably twisted to keep slack from vibrating inside the cups. From what I gather from various sources including previously in this thread is that there were some batches of drivers prone to this exact kind of issue. Imbalance or volume drop that occurs intermittently. I think I've read about 5-10 cases so far online with those kinds of symptoms.

I would send them in for warranty if you can.

It's strange though because I no longer experience the issue. But previously I constantly had to adjust the right channel between -1 to -4db to center it.

Maybe the contacts weren't touching each other but instead it was just a weak contact? Anyway I'm happy that I no longer experience the issue.

paudio

It's strange though because I no longer experience the issue. But previously I constantly had to adjust the right channel between -1 to -4db to center it.

Maybe the contacts weren't touching each other but instead it was just a weak contact? Anyway I'm happy that I no longer experience the issue.
It's been fairly intermittent for people. If the contacts were touching I'd suspect it would have been much worse of issue than off center but maybe. People seemed to be able to reset the issue with some loud playback only for it to resurface.

I would at minimum reach out to DCA with your findings while in warranty so that if it does reoccurr you'd have some history there to work with. These are not inexpensive.

Top Bottom