• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube connectors. Wtf

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can get thick wire in them. Far better than standard banana plugs. Not that it will make any difference.
You can get some pretty huge ones that accept big ring terminals.

OP
M

musicforcities

since the influence is not measurable and very, very likely not audible.
Very likely not audible? If it’s not measurable it ain’t audible.

If you can measure a difference then there are two possibilities: either there is no difference, or the difference is too small to be measured by the equipment, and in that case, human hearing is many times less precise that any half decent piece of measuring equipment.

Even if there is a tiny measurable difference, would it cause any actual effect? Almost certainly no.

For example: if a given speaker is connected to a given amp pumping 100w of power through 5 feet of 14AWG speaker wire, it will not make any difference if I used the exact same wire, amp and speaker but at 10AWG. Sure, the 10AWG wire has measurable lower resistance but at a 5ft length and the current/voltage and frequency range for audio signal, that difference is inconsequential.

That’s why the connector fetish is laughable. Corrosion/tarnish is far more of a concern depending on the materials used (I’m looking at you silver and copper!) unless the point of contact is air tight (by pressure, cold/ultrasonically welded) or soldered. Gold plating is used because it does not oxidize (or rather, the oxidation is very slow and minor in real world timescales and use) and seems “fancy”—but any plating with goid enough conductivity and oxidation traits will do.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s why the connector fetish is laughable. Corrosion/tarnish is far more of a concern depending on the materials used (I’m looking at you silver and copper!) unless the point of contact is air tight (by pressure, cold/ultrasonically welded) or soldered. Gold plating is used because it does not oxidize (or rather, the oxidation is very slow and minor in real world timescales and use) and seems “fancy”—but any plating with goid enough conductivity and oxidation traits will do.
Agreed. I tell people to use ring terminals and wrench them securely. I use a copper crush washer, too. The whole audiophile binding post situation is a joke.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very likely not audible? If it’s not measurable it ain’t audible.

If you can measure a difference then there are two possibilities: either there is no difference, or the difference is too small to be measured by the equipment, and in that case, human hearing is many times less precise that any half decent piece of measuring equipment.

The "very, very likely not audible" referred to the fact that we do not have, for example, IMD measurements of how magnetic binding posts behave at different high power flows.
The audibility of IMD, unlike the audibility of HD, does not necessarily decrease with increasing SPL.

Therefore, I do not make absolute statements on topics where I do not have measurements or have not made any measurements.
Common sense tells us that the potential impact will be minimal, hence "very, very likely not audible" - sorry, I should have been more specific.

Reactions: MAB
Top Bottom