• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tube connectors. Wtf

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just say NO! to Tube Connectors. Buy the Rhodium plated copper CMC 878 for less money.
I'm surprised he doesn't say that ribbon membranes are better for transparency because the coils in dynamic drivers are higher mass and much much longer. Give me a break! Big chunk of high mass copper or aluminum is what feeds power to my home, and it works for audio too. I understand not wanting steel, but it's minimally invasive in the chain of brass or copper.

He is also wrong in banana construction. Normally, the 9-tine style are tellurium-copper. They are not brass. (4-tine may be brass or old-time types steel.) You can get BFA nanners in copper, or rhodium or gold over brass. AECO nanners are crafted from billets of metal, and copper base.

I just think he's a shill for his own products. Avoid like the plague.

Reactions: gab

Wolf

He was also wrong about the tabs for solder on the terminal-cup variety. They are not steel, but tinned brass or copper.

illcrx

I watched the video on the previous page. He is saying this....

If you want the highest possible quality signal to get to your components. The Tube connector is the copper to copper solution. All of the others have different metals that have to pass the signal though and hand it off over longer distances.

I can see some logic, if you are going for top quality everything and your signal is degraded, sure you are going to have a difference. If you have ever listened to very high end equipment that is very transparent things do make a difference!

A long time ago I went to a hifi shop and the salesman said, "listen for a while and then I am going to remove the top of the CD player". He removed the top and it was an audible difference! No shit! I never would have thought that it would make a difference but it did. So you can call it snake oil but but it's more like getting better oil for your high performance car engine.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Forget the choice materials, it's a weird design. The conduction points are probably going to be the crimp points and where the stud meets the socket; highlighted in indigo. The first time the stud is push into the socket it will deform the copper wire in the socket. After a short period of time the tip of the wire will, in all likelihood, not be touching the tip of the stud at all.
It is not weird to crimp wires. In fact it is better. It is even better on spade or bananas. Of course, oxidation take place. Not a problem to add a layer of solder. The surface contact between the male and female point are larger than spade and banana.

kchap

Forum Donor
It is not weird to crimp wires. In fact it is better. It is even better on spade or bananas. Of course, oxidation take place. Not a problem to add a layer of solder. The surface contact between the male and female point are larger than spade and banana.
I agree. I'm suggesting the the design of the tube connector is weird, not the concept crimp connectors

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched the video on the previous page. He is saying this....

If you want the highest possible quality signal to get to your components. The Tube connector is the copper to copper solution. All of the others have different metals that have to pass the signal though and hand it off over longer distances.

I can see some logic, if you are going for top quality everything and your signal is degraded, sure you are going to have a difference. If you have ever listened to very high end equipment that is very transparent things do make a difference!

A long time ago I went to a hifi shop and the salesman said, "listen for a while and then I am going to remove the top of the CD player". He removed the top and it was an audible difference! No shit! I never would have thought that it would make a difference but it did. So you can call it snake oil but but it's more like getting better oil for your high performance car engine.
Sooooo ... the salesman said , it will sound different .. then ... It does... Seriously ????!!???:rolleyes:

Audio reproductions components are defined by measurements. Not by words or arbitrary nomenclatures. or ... God forbid, price. If you are sincere and came to this forum to learn and share then stay and you will learn. Else ...

JSmith

Master Contributor
double-entendres
531.jpg

JSmith

bo_knows

I guess KEF never got Denny's memo about the mass of the speaker binding posts (not to mention cheesy crossover components).
After 60 years of building speakers, they still have a ways to go to improve the sound quality. Maybe they should consider hiring him as a consultant.

1649168086792.png

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

However, you must be aware of the distances through different material that are involved in binding posts. These are a few millimeters compared to the meter-long speaker cable, the many thin wires at the crossover components and soldering points, the voice coil of the driver,...

Please, read here my small review of different binding posts (BP), this gives a good overview of the influence of different BP.

Different Binding Posts - is it audible?

I have added today a few additions especially for you, in order to cover as many aspects as possible.

Update: If you think tube connectors make a difference, I'd love for someone to send me one. I would then include it in the review.

bo_knows

However, you must be aware of the distances through different material that are involved in binding posts. These are a few millimeters compared to the meter-long speaker cable, the many thin wires at the crossover components and soldering points, the voice coil of the driver,...

Please, read here my small review of different binding posts (BP), this gives a good overview of the influence of different BP.

Different Binding Posts - is it audible?

I have added today a few additions especially for you, in order to cover as many aspects as possible.

Update: If you think tube connectors make a difference, I'd love for someone to send me one. I would then include it in the review.
Excellent write-up! I'll sleep better now knowing that huge (best looking) KEF reference speaker binding posts are good to go. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom