• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 10.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 83.8%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Moondrop Blessing 2 is another IEM with giganozzles at 6.5mm. There's good reason for different options to exist on the market, if everyone should have a chance to find something that works for them. That's why the big nozzle bad narrative can't be inclusive of everyone. I have a friend that had comfort issues with multiple IEM, all of which happened to have skinny nozzles, so it's good to know that skinny nozzles is not necessarily a golden ticket for IEM comfort.

+1 on Moondrop Lan, it snares many qualities with Red that makes it versatile for many kinds of music.
The Blessing 2 shape gets a pass from me because of the more ergonomic shape of the shells which aids a snug fit (whereas I find the Zero fit actively resists it). But yes, neither are of use to those of the smaller ear canal persuasion. Shame try before you buy isnt such a thing in this market.

Blorg

The Blessing 2 shape gets a pass from me because of the more ergonomic shape of the shells which aids a snug fit (whereas I find the Zero fit actively resists it). But yes, neither are of use to those of the smaller ear canal persuasion. Shame try before you buy isnt such a thing in this market.
I find that as well, the Blessing 2 fits me better than the Zero. The Zero isn't terrible but the Blessing 2 fits more snugly.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Zero must definitely are not ergonomically "good"- the nozzle is too long as well as too wide and the rest of the shell is also too big. I suspect they realise this - I got the Hola at the weekend which is massively improved in this regard. The bore is just about the same width but about half the length and the rest of the shell is slimmer too meaning it sits "in" the cavity in my lugs (concha?) so its not constantly trying to lever itself loose.
You might be right. I don't know. I have only one pair of ears and seems like they have gigantic holes as I usually don't have any problems with fit but with seal mostly :)

Last edited:

madig

I got the Zeros and EQ'd them with the parameters seen at
. They sound... more neutral now, or more laid back. I like it.

Is the reduced distortion in the Red's base audible versus the Zeros? I listen at moderate volumes.

Now I ordered a pair of Reds on Amazon (via LEAUDIO-UK) and my Zeros from the same seller are still in the 30-day return period... anyone have experience returning earphones on Amazon? The terms say the returned product must be new and unused condition for a full refund, but I've been using them for 2 weeks now. I'm also wondering if they'd end up in a landfill somewhere instead of being sold again? I can still cancel the Red order :confused:

GaryH

Major Contributor
I got the Zeros and EQ'd them with the parameters seen at
No idea why he's using his inaccurate fake 711 coupler for that EQ. Here's an EQ using measurements from his (claimed more accurate than GRAS) genuine B&K 5128:
Preamp: -2.58 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 105.0 Hz Gain 5.1 dB Q 0.70
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 49.6 Hz Gain -5.1 dB Q 0.52
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 96.9 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 0.71
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 182.0 Hz Gain 2.7 dB Q 2.00
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 297.6 Hz Gain 1.7 dB Q 0.38
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 2644.1 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 2.00
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 3633.9 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 2.00
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 5189.5 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 1.99
Filter 9: ON HSC Fc 10000.0 Hz Gain -1.9 dB Q 0.70
You also might prefer this EQ:
Preamp: -3.9 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20.0 Hz Gain 3.88 dB Q 0.90
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 81.4 Hz Gain -2.05 dB Q 1.46
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1205.0 Hz Gain -1.23 dB Q 2.55
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2175.4 Hz Gain -1.65 dB Q 0.85
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 4795.7 Hz Gain -2.97 dB Q 2.97
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6699.0 Hz Gain 2.57 dB Q 2.64
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 7000.0 Hz Gain -1.9 dB Q 3.00
Is the reduced distortion in the Red's base audible versus the Zeros?
No it won't be.
I listen at moderate volumes.
Definitely no.
Now I ordered a pair of Reds on Amazon (via LEAUDIO-UK) and my Zeros from the same seller are still in the 30-day return period... anyone have experience returning earphones on Amazon? The terms say the returned product must be new and unused condition for a full refund, but I've been using them for 2 weeks now. I'm also wondering if they'd end up in a landfill somewhere instead of being sold again? I can still cancel the Red order :confused:
I'd cancel. Waste of $5, waste of polluting carbon on deliveries back and forth, possible waste of an IEM in a landfill. Just EQ.

Last edited:

JLGF1

-> Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20.00 Hz Gain 3.88 dB Q 0.90

IEM's can produce output at 20HZ?

GaryH

Major Contributor
-> Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20.00 Hz Gain 3.88 dB Q 0.90

IEM's can produce output at 20HZ?
Absolutely. And good ones can extend well below this, even down to ~0Hz if they have a pretty much perfectly sealed front volume once inserted resulting in near-complete pressure chamber conditions.
Screenshot_20230727_043301.png

Also consider that filter you're referencing is only centered at 20Hz, with a low Q-factor, so will affect frequencies significantly above (and below) this.

Last edited:

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Got these delivered yesterday and I like them more than the blue variant out of the box. Blues sounded "shouty" to me and I was missing some bass. Reds on the flipside have much more agreeable treble to my ears, and the bass sounds fuller. A bit too full even, it reminds me of AKG371, which I felt sounded "round" in bass, or maybe "bloom" is the right word. As if some low end detail was drowned in the pillows of oomph. I may try to EQ the bass a little, but so far they make all my favorite, awfully recorded 90's thrash metal albums sound good, so can't complain.

Excellent value for the price, great job Truthear and @crinacle!

P.s. Can we get Truthear Zero Green, with FR perfectly in between blue and red?? :D

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
P.s. Can we get Truthear Zero Green, with FR perfectly in between blue and red?? :D
If that's closer in response to my modded Moondrop Chu I'll be happy. Or mod a Chu like I did if you want to something similar to Red with more treble snap and extension.

Some people talk about about comfort issues due to wide nozzles but the only issue I have is that the Zero's wide shells touch the folds of my ears.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Yeah, I've seen a lot of people complain about the nozzles. Thankfully my ear canals are huge. Is it known what was the thinking behind making the nozzles this wide?

WickedInsignia

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people complain about the nozzles. Thankfully my ear canals are huge. Is it known what was the thinking behind making the nozzles this wide?
It was necessary for the tuning with this driver configuration. Crinacle was very keen on dual dynamic drivers (one dedicated to bass/subbass, the other for everything else and with a seamless crossover between the two). The wider nozzle size was required to accommodate, otherwise a balanced armature driver may need to have been used instead.

A double DD IEM with a smaller nozzle and this tuning might be possible, but it seems like for now the sacrifice was necessary and somewhat within acceptable limits for most users.
I can't personally wear these for a long time and have seen many reports of people experiencing the same, but there's also plenty of people it seems to work fine for.
The trouble is that with smaller nozzle sizes you can beef them up a bit depending on the tips. With large nozzle sizes, if the ear canal won't take to it there isn't much you can do.

alaksmana

Using this IEM uncovers many things unheard previously from the same track. The only weakness is the build quality surrounding the 2 pin connector. It is definitely not the kind of connector that will last if you plug and unplug frequently. But i cannot really complain on that since it is $49, can't I?

Attachments

• IMG_6128.jpg
    IMG_6128.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 107

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What makes you say that? Have you had some past experiences?
Just gauging what I need to be careful of on my own unit to prevent an early scrapping.
I don't think anyone would recommend frequent connection of any iem, especially 2 pin. Not sure the Zero is any better or worse than any 2 pin I've ever encountered.

alaksmana

What makes you say that? Have you had some past experiences?
Just gauging what I need to be careful of on my own unit to prevent an early scrapping.
Typical IEM has molded connector at its end, so the connector and the wire are unified. This zero read is not using such molded connector. Some IEM improves it further by having the connector molded in a shape which envelope the IEM so when you accidentally pull the wire in a session or have a habit pulling off the wire after a session, it wont break the pin but will share the force with the shape of the IEM. Some expensive ones have threaded or pull connector like those Lemo types, but the connector alone is costing 50usd-150usd a pair. So that's why i wont complain. For what it is, this zero red is a bargain.

Anyway, for poor me, i try to never disconnect the dual pin connector and disconnect at the 3.5mm trs end anyway to make the IEM last longer unless in some emergency situation i need to listen to 2 different receivers.

F1308

Major Contributor
Really ?
Anyone disconnecting the pins every session ?
I never do so.
Have a little O-ring with a little clump so I attach the cable to my shirt, avoiding part of the load on
my ears, then unplug the 3.5 mm connectors
if I am to leave the keyboard for a while; finally
removing the IEMs from my ears when the session is over. I place them back into a can IKEA sells to hold a mug...
Have two, one for the Reds on the left, and another for the Blues on the right.

:):):):)

Last edited:
Top Bottom