• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear Nova IEMs

Hello guys. I like my Novas overall but like to play a little with EQ as I find them little too bright at sometimes. What would be the easiest way to experiment and tune it for examle to Crinacle target or Usound shared by oratory especially in the higher area?
What I would like is something like AutoEQ. Select my iem, select my target and show me the values to adjust. Is there an „easy“ more or less accurate enough way?
Yes. Use https://autoeq.app/

It's got a bunch of targets built-in, and you can import your own targets or raw measurements from .csv or .txt

Here's a list of alternative targets:

Please keep in mind that you need to match the target response to the measurement rig.

Harman, IEF Neutral, and oratory's USound are only compatible with 711 or IEC60318-4 measurements.

For HMSII.3 or B&K5128/4620 measurements, you need to use specialized target responses.

Attached below is my preferred 711 target, maybe give it a try!

Attachments

• static_IEM_target.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 62
Hello guys. I like my Novas overall but like to play a little with EQ as I find them little too bright at sometimes. What would be the easiest way to experiment and tune it for examle to Crinacle target or Usound shared by oratory especially in the higher area?
What I would like is something like AutoEQ. Select my iem, select my target and show me the values to adjust. Is there an „easy“ more or less accurate enough way?
What hardware/software do you have to do EQ?

I use RMEs ADI2-DAC, Qudelix5k or Apples AUNbandEQ via SoundSource on my MBP jack.

I use RMEs ADI2-DAC, Qudelix5k or Apples AUNbandEQ via SoundSource on my MBP jack.
Use either the graph comparison tool on crinacle.com or squiglink to do it manually or use Autoeq.app to suggest filter adjustments (I would set the max freq to 7 or 8 khz though as it gets pretty wild above that.

The custom filters option on autoeq.app allows you to specific filters too so for the ADI2 you could let it work out using a low shelf, 5 peaks and a high shelf

In case anyone's interested, here's the EQ I settled on after a few weeks of listening and working with them:
  • 910Hz : +0.5dB
  • 1400Hz : -1dB
... and that's it. It's more of a 'spatiality' correction than anything else. Vocals felt a bit out of place without it (even if tonally correct, in my opinion).

By the way, I don't like to listen loudly so that might explain why I don't find them shouty at all.

Last edited:
Yes. Use https://autoeq.app/

It's got a bunch of targets built-in, and you can import your own targets or raw measurements from .csv or .txt

Here's a list of alternative targets:

Please keep in mind that you need to match the target response to the measurement rig.

Harman, IEF Neutral, and oratory's USound are only compatible with 711 or IEC60318-4 measurements.

For HMSII.3 or B&K5128/4620 measurements, you need to use specialized target responses.

Attached below is my preferred 711 target, maybe give it a try!
Definitely worth the bother, trying out your preferred 711 target, which you attached.

I was already blown away by the improvement that the default correction, for my headphones, by generating a correction EQ(I prefer to use the impulse response formats in convolution plugins in my DAW). That was a whole new world.

Your 711 "Static" target, takes things up another notch. The further restraint on the bass, in comparison to the AutoEQ default target. Two words come to my mind. Pin sharp (well that's already two words) - like when a camera lens is precisely focussed on the subject. The other word is "Clarity" - as if a veil has been lifted, and I can separate the instruments even more. Definitely another personal best, in my listening experience. A little dry, but that clarity is desirable, cos my ears are not working as hard anymore, to distinguish different elements in the audio. Even easier to hear exactly what the singer is saying..., or whatever each instrument is playing.

It's going to be a struggle to go back to the Harman 2019 or the defaut AutoEQ targets. Pretty impressive achievement, your "static" target. I had expected on 1st listen, some listening fatigue, but no, its reproducing what's in the audio. Well produced music does NOT sound sharp, just clear. It's as if noise in the music has been cut out., and all of a sudden there is silence in things that were clashing and distorting, and all of a sudden its just clear, effortlessly clear.

Thank you for sharing this. Huge thanks.

So if Harman is what you like, don't need to do anything - no EQ required

Pretty much.

I wonder if Amir has one to measure in the queue.
There's enough GRAS measurements now, we don't even need Amir's

Plus we have the more important 5128 - only needs EQ approx 425Hz (a problem with GRAS rigs)

Nova is on sale for 120 usd on their official store.
It was $100 with coins and coupons last week ("Choice Day" which is actually more like "Choice Week"). This drop I think is for the Summer Sale which is one of Ali's largest sales. It starts June 17 (Monday), with "warm up" starting June 14 (Friday), but "Preview Deals" starting tomorrow. It will almost certainly be the same price then, but there will be additional coupons you can add on top.

Coin discounts bring it down to $112.79 from the coins page, if you have them.

Choice Day coupons were like $12/89 or $20/139 and I would expect at least as good, possibly better, for the Summer Sale.

I found out a while back out you can swap the nozzle filters to retune the stock response. After that I heard the Truthear Hexa and was thoroughly impressed by it, except for wanting a little more bass. It all lines up to Nova being my next purchase. Hexa + bass sounds good to me, as does a hypothetical Crinacle collab based on Hexa. Looking around I don't find any obvious alternative in the IEM market at its price point right now.

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    308.6 KB · Views: 36
  • graph (1).png
    graph (1).png
    299.2 KB · Views: 32
  • graph (2).png
    graph (2).png
    311.1 KB · Views: 32
  • graph (3).png
    graph (3).png
    308.9 KB · Views: 33
I found out a while back out you can swap the nozzle filters to retune the stock response. After that I heard the Truthear Hexa and was thoroughly impressed by it, except for wanting a little more bass. It all lines up to Nova being my next purchase. Hexa + bass sounds good to me, as does a hypothetical Crinacle collab based on Hexa. Looking around I don't find any obvious alternative in the IEM market at its price point right now.
Blessing 3 can be had for just a bit more which gives you a FR close.to Harman but tor eq being needed for bass.

Blessing 3 can be had for just a bit more which gives you a FR close.to Harman but tor eq being needed for bass.
I did notice some decent deals on Blessing 3 during the spring sales. The mid-range white damper looks to be accessible. Replaced with a brown or green one would knock down the area around 2kHz a bit. I would predict, given Blessing 3's bass quantity, it could result in something of a Hexa upgrade. Of course, someone will have to be first to try it and hopefully graphing the results.

1720008911617.png

1720009153309.png

I don't mind EQ at all, but it turns into a time sink for me, wanting to adjust it constantly.

Last edited:
Nova is a lot closer to Harman if you want Harman. Blessing 3 the tuning is very different, it's very bass light and the brightness further accentuates that. It's perfect for someone who wants something bright with plenty of clarity and light bass, not nothing, but very definitely light. There are times and particular recordings I find Harman bass too much and the Blessing 3 is perfect then. It's not at all the one to go for if you want Harman bass levels though.

Nova to me is a big upgrade on the Hexa, it sounds much better out of the box. The one thing the Blessing3 does do better, subjectively, is the treble sounds smoother. Not that the Nova is bad but the B3 treble does sound particularly smooth. The lack of bass is very noticeable though, it really sounds like quite a bit less bass than the Hexa, I guess due to the lack of mid-bass, compared with the balance, the lower pinna gain on the Hexa emphasises its bass region, relatively. Subjectively, anyway- Hexa definitely comes across bassier than the B3. Timbre is much better on the B3 though.
1720018450758.png

Aful Performer 5 and Gizaudio Chopin also worth a look if you want Harman-ish bass, both are good and more satisfying bass than the B3, although B3 wins on clarity, timbre, treble. Dusk is probably the one to go for to be honest over the B3, I haven't heard it, I do have the Hisenior Mega5-EST which is tuned similarly and it's great but more expensive than these options. The downside is Dusk is exclusive and never discounted while B3 you can often find much less than full retail, I got it for $222. B3 does take EQ reasonably well and doesn't need much to just get the bass sounding fuller.
1720018722281.png

Another much cheaper option (dual DD) that is actually really good is the Tangzu HBB Xuan NV, I think I prefer this over the Red. It's certainly a lot more comfortable, much better fit with smaller nozzles.
1720018974742.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom