• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 288 86.2%

• Total voters

markanini

Major Contributor
Why on earth would I do that when I have a real-time music spectrogram showing me high levels of sub 40Hz content for my music ?

How silly

Maybe you, Bobby and @Sean Olive only listen to Tracy Chapman :p (that's a joke Dr Olive will get)
Because you are using the wrong tool just to reinforce your bias. If you were interested I'd tell you there exact tool to test your ability to hear content below 40 Hz in real music.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I can apply a high pass filter while music is playing - on and off

You don't seem to be aware that modern popular music has high content sub 40Hz

I don't think Bobby mixed any deadmau5 lol

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would be a good response if you didn't show your ignorance about:
1. Coupler accuracy beyond 10kHz which is not a thing, less important for inclusion into a scoring protocol
2. The low importance of sub-40Hz for audio reproduction, and audio production.

I don't know about everyone else, but I will side with Sean Olive on setting the limits that way into his model.
The ignorant, like always, is you. Independently of how easily or accurately or whatever the response can be measured above 10kHz, it is still there and there is music material (especially overtones) and it matters. And many IEMs, for example the Truthear Zero:Red, show wide swings in this region, while the Nova (especially with foam tips) is smooth. I checked this as well with tone generator. So the fact, that this region is not included in the scoring system just shows how inaccurate it is. And if you would be knowledgable, you were aware of the fact that Sean Olive himself is not a fan of taking it too literal, it is just there for a ballpark number. Furthermore, there is also valid content in the sub 40Hz region, at least in some music I listen to. And I want to hear it properly.

Last edited:

MacClintock

Why on earth would I do that when I have a real-time music spectrogram showing me high levels of sub 40Hz content for my music ?

How silly

Maybe you, Bobby and @Sean Olive only listen to Tracy Chapman :p (that's a joke Dr Olive will get)
So funny, and so true. There is even classical music with sub 40Hz content (not even talking about organs which can go well below 20Hz). This guy is just so limited...

Last edited:

MacClintock

You don't seem to be aware that modern popular music has high content sub 40Hz

I don't think Bobby mixed any deadmau5 lol
I think what this guy has in mind goes along the line 'we can't measure it properly, so let's ignore it and also state that it doesn't matter, because reasons', relating to sub 40Hz and above 10 kHz. What a pathetic stance.

markanini

Major Contributor
The ignorant, like always, is you. Independently of how easily or accurately or whatever the response can be measured above 10kHz, it is still there and there is music material (especially overtones) and it matters. And many IEMs, for example the Truthear Zero:Red, show wide swings in this region, while the Nova (especially with foam tips) is smooth. I checked this as well with tone generator. So the fact, that this region is not included in the scoring system just shows how inaccurate it is. And if you would be knowledgable, you were aware of the fact that Sean Olive himself is not a fan of taking it too literal, it is just there for a ballpark number. Furthermore, there is also valid content in the sub 40Hz region, at least in some music I listen to. And I want to hear it properly.
We've been through all this already, it's not my problem if you refuse to learn. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...countering-misinformation-about-autoeq.52191/

InfiniteJester

One tool is a high pass filter.

Get someone to turn it on and off for you, with you blind.

If you listen to acoustic jazz you might struggle.

If you listen to deadmau5, you will score 10/10 with the right part of the right tracks :)

Yes, thank you. I knew that you can set something like that up.

I was wondering whether there was some kind of test, like these ones: https://abx.digitalfeed.net/

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In fact I don't know if this is true. Looking at his and other sites, "his" supposed target is almost flat in the bass from 1kHz down, but no IEM he ever tuned has this (lack of) bass. So either he is lying about this or just not tuning any of his many IEM's to his proper target, which would be very strange to me.
I think I have heard/ read Crinacle say his original 2020 target was left deliberately flat in the bass not because that was his preference for bass levels in an IEM but that it was such a matter of preference he just left the"target" flat so people could just judge where the bass in the DUT was compared to where they might like it and decide if it was enough or too much. Not sure why he then went to a gentle slope for the 2023.

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm interested. Any way to ABX this?
You can use any ABX tool. First you need to prepare a short segment of a familiar song. Then make a copy of the segment and apply a hi-pass filter on it. For this you can use Audacity.
1711806914065.png

That's not how you determine audibility.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
That's not how you determine audibility.
Please read :

One tool is a high pass filter.

Get someone to turn it on and off for you, with you blind.

If you listen to acoustic jazz you might struggle.

If you listen to deadmau5, you will score 10/10 with the right part of the right tracks

markanini

Major Contributor
Please read :
I'm not seeing the report of your ABX trials, did you forget to attach it, or does it not exist?

You can drop the name of Sean Olive as many times as you want, you will still remain a dwarf and ignorant in front of him and most people here.
Neither will you and you are the guy opposing Sean Olives judgement, so that's a weird attack. Am I having a conversation with an alt of the AHS founder again?

Last edited:

MacClintock

Yes, thank you. I knew that you can set something like that up.

I was wondering whether there was some kind of test, like these ones: https://abx.digitalfeed.net/
Which part did you not understand? Just save one version of a bass heavy track as is and another one with a high-pass filter. Then ABX it. If there is in that specific track enough sub 40Hz information, it will be easy to pass.

MacClintock

I think I have heard/ read Crinacle say his original 2020 target was left deliberately flat in the bass not because that was his preference for bass levels in an IEM but that it was such a matter of preference he just left the"target" flat so people could just judge where the bass in the DUT was compared to where they might like it and decide if it was enough or too much. Not sure why he then went to a gentle slope for the 2023.
Might be true, I remember heaving heard something like that as well. But while I like some of the IEMs he has tuned, I, in fact, couldn't care less about his personal target, as there is no research behind it.

InfiniteJester

Which part did you not understand? Just save one version of a bass heavy track as is and another one with a high-pass filter. Then ABX it. If there is in that specific track enough sub 40Hz information, it will be easy to pass.

I understood everything. I'm just on vacation and wanted to try it with my phone.

Last edited:

MacClintock

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Let’s dial back the aggression with each other and treat everyone with dignity and respect. If you can’t do that walk away and don’t post.

Multiple Warnings issued. Thread Bans included. :oops:

Please and thank you for your cooperation and support. ;)

Last edited:

mc.god

Nova does need EQ around 425Hz.

it is known issue of 711 that doesn't show, that gets picked up in 5128 measurements.
I wasn't saying Nova not needing eq at all, but that Nova is an iem produced targeting the Harman 2019 curve, and it nails it pretty well as it is.
I don't know about this 425 Hz issue but if you refer to Nova 5128 measurements then again they can be targeted only to Diffuse filed curve, and you cannot use then to eq toward Harman 2019.

Top Bottom