• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 10.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 83.8%

• Total voters

KosherButcher

I have the original Zero but since the ergonomics are identical:
The wide bores on these pose a fit/comfort issue. I myself can't wear them for more than 30 mins due to the wide bore making my ears sore.
It seems to be a pretty standard complaint. The AKG K371 has widespread fit issues as well and are the only headphone that won't properly seal on my ears.
Just a shame that well-measuring cheap passive options seem to generally have ergonomics problems.

Any chi-fi that approaches these in terms of SQ but with a more comfortable design? The Hexa & Hola seem similar but the bore diameter isn't drastically better from the specs.
I feel you! I also had the same problem with the K371. In fact, out of the over 40 or 50 sets of IEMs I've had over the years (and I have tried countless aftermarket ear tips of every size, material, and shape) the only ones that I ever truly got a consistent fit and seal with are my Etymotics, and maybe one or two sets of Shures.

markanini

Major Contributor
(I don't think people care that much to have such a nuanced fringe opinion on a particular users listening impression)
It's the same opinions raised by Amir in his video about headphone measurements, can't be that fringe.

WickedInsignia

Isn’t that a rather sweeping generalisation?
Maybe that is the wrong generalization, maybe it's just that it is hard, or even impossible to develop products that is comfortable for everyone and you are an outlier in the sense that what works for most people does not work for you.
The AKG K371 has serious user consistency issues as tested by Rtings. You can disagree with Rtings, but their testing criteria for fit/user consistency/stability is extremely robust. It's also a widespread complaint about the K371.
Dan Clark headphones have that "twisting pads" problem that required a direct acknowledgement from the company themselves and instructions on how to fix it.
I've seen a lot of complaints over the bore size/discomfort of the Zeros and absolutely none for, say, the ie200 or other IEMs with a much smaller bore.

That may be mostly anecdotal but I don't think it's misplaced. Ergonomic design contributes to frequency response and it seems a little difficult to hit the sweet-spot of SQ and ergonomics, since pad size, pad material and bore size also contribute largely to an FR.

Anyway, I don't come here to make generalizations. I'm disappointed that the well-measuring headphones I want to use just aren't that comfortable for me. I'm sure one potentially misinterpreted comment on an obscure audio forum isn't going to change the trajectory of headphone manufacturing opinion, so it'd be helpful if you offered some options rather than cherry pick from my comment to accuse me of something patently inconsequential.

markanini

Major Contributor
The AKG K371 has serious user consistency issues as tested by Rtings. You can disagree with Rtings, but their testing criteria for fit/user consistency/stability is extremely robust. It's also a widespread complaint about the K371.
Dan Clark headphones have that "twisting pads" problem that required a direct acknowledgement from the company themselves and instructions on how to fix it.
I've seen a lot of complaints over the bore size/discomfort of the Zeros and absolutely none for, say, the ie200 or other IEMs with a much smaller bore.

That may be mostly anecdotal but I don't think it's misplaced. Ergonomic design contributes to frequency response and it seems a little difficult to hit the sweet-spot of SQ and ergonomics, since pad size, pad material and bore size also contribute largely to an FR.

Anyway, I don't come here to make generalizations. I'm disappointed that the well-measuring headphones I want to use just aren't that comfortable for me. I'm sure one potentially misinterpreted comment on an obscure audio forum isn't going to change the trajectory of headphone manufacturing opinion, so it'd be helpful if you offered some options rather than cherry pick from my comment to accuse me of something patently inconsequential.

Some of my relatives lived behind the iron wall, where selection of electrical good was very limited. There's surely some alternatives to choose from, in todays global economy.

WickedInsignia

Some of my relatives lived behind the iron wall, where selection of electrical good was very limited. There's surely some alternatives to choose from, in todays global economy.
Friend. Brother. Homie.
I said the Zeros were uncomfortable and asked about other options with similar FR. It's not that deep.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's the same opinions raised by Amir in his video about headphone measurements, can't be that fringe.
You didn't understand my post then, but it doesn't matter, it's not an important point I was making, hence why I'd put it in brackets.

GaryH

Major Contributor
To me the large nozzles give me less pain, the fit is snug with M tips, I can wear it comfortably for many hours.

Moondrop Chu and Lan OTOH slide around in my ear, with L tips, loosing seal, forcing me to reinsert multiple times, it doesn't take long before it feels like my ear canals tense up.
Sounds like you're an outlier with larger canals than most, just as the Zeros' 6.8 mm bore sizes are significantly larger than most IEMs, and so will not fit comfortably many people who have canals smaller than this (likely moreso for those not of European descent). This is just bad ergonomic design if you want good comfort and fit across a large range of people, as smaller bores can always be effectively widened with larger tips, but the inverse is obviously not the case. Crinacle himself straight up admits the bores are large, and could have been made thinner but they chose not to because they couldn't be bothered to rework the acoustics that would be required. It's obviously more profitable for them to just make minimal physical changes and milk the original Zero design for all they can by releasing just a retuning of it in the Red.
I think this susceptibility is more relevant if you tend to reference established targets, and have inflated confidence in measurement data, and low unit variability. Anyone reading my posts carefully knows this is not me.
Nope, subconscious cognitive biases are distinct from conscious beliefs.

WickedInsignia

Indeed it's not, that's why I'm giving you a reason not to dwell on bad past experiences
Some people were accusing me of generalizing so I supported my case with examples of headphones with great FR and dodgy ergonomics. I wasn't "dwelling on bad past experiences."

Crinacle himself straight up admits the bores are large, and could have been made thinner but they chose not to because they couldn't be bothered to rework the acoustics that would be required.
This is fair, since he even mentioned that the 7.8mm driver necessitated the size and from his previous vids he was hellbent on having two DDs. Making it smaller would force them to potentially utilize a BA tweeter instead. There's a lot of good reasons to use this bore, and it does fit for some people.
That being said the nozzle size is indeed massive and I've seen complaints about comfort pretty much everywhere the Zero is mentioned. I won't accept from anyone here that it doesn't pose an ergonomics issue: it absolutely does. Crin has admitted it there, there are many comments regarding it in this thread, it's a large size in relation to the rest of the market, etc. etc.

The reason I brought it up is because this is a common failing of more measurement-oriented reviews: you can have a brilliantly tuned product but if it isn't ergonomic or has serious QC issues it's a non-starter.
The K371 was a great example of that. On paper it's the savior of budget closed-backs but the fit issues and shoddy build really let it down.
Just another unfortunate effect of FR hype trains. I don't regret my purchase, but I would also like to use the Zero for more than 30 mins and I'm not the only one.

So that brings me back to my initial question: what are some other options that are similar in SQ and price but with improved ergonomics?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, although that is not my point, lack of consistency across different units is indeed a concern for some headphones.\

Anyway, I don't come here to make generalizations. I'm disappointed that the well-measuring headphones I want to use just aren't that comfortable for me.
I was going to suggest Hexa but I think it has an even bigger bore.

For what it is wroth, I got a Moondrop LAN recently. It measures quite similar to Red (squig.link below), sounds very good, and has a much smaller bore. I could not find the specs but I physically checked, it is smaller :)

1689664340869.png

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you're an outlier with larger canals than most, just as the Zeros' 6.8 mm bore sizes are significantly larger than most IEMs, and so will not fit comfortably many people who have canals smaller than this (likely moreso for those not of European descent). This is just bad ergonomic design if you want good comfort and fit across a large range of people, as smaller bores can always be effectively widened with larger tips, but the inverse is obviously not the case. Crinacle himself straight up admits the bores are large, and could have been made thinner but they chose not to because they couldn't be bothered to rework the acoustics that would be required. It's obviously more profitable for them to just make minimal physical changes and milk the original Zero design for all they can by releasing just a retuning of it in the Red.

Nope, subconscious cognitive biases are distinct from conscious beliefs.
Bores are large indeed at 6.2mm. But according to the post you linked, it is still within mean range for the 14 studies conducted so not too bad I'd say. In any case, this was exactly my point; there is so much variation in human ear and head anatomy, it is virtually impossible with our current manufacturing methods to manufacture a product that can fit everyone comfortably.

1689664854788.png

WickedInsignia

lack of consistency across different units is indeed a concern for some headphones.
Ah okay. I meant lack of user-to-user FR consistency, not unit-to-unit. The K371 has drastic changes to the sound depending on seating, and the earpads have sealing issues for a concerning proportion of users. Rtings tests of this are available HERE.
For what it is wroth, I got a Moondrop LAN recently.
Oh this is interesting! Exactly what I was looking for in terms of recommendations, thank you! I couldn't find specifics on the bore size but that FR is very promising, Moondrop is a reliable brand to my knowledge and it's actually cheaper than the Zero. Will have to check this out.

Joramun

This or the TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero (not RED) version?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This.

WickedInsignia

Since this is ASR, it's worth giving you the rundown on the objective differences. Feel free to ignore if you were looking for the short answer:

The original Zero is tuned to the Harman IEM target, so technically it's the most scientifically-supported to sound the best to the most people.
Crinacle doesn't personally like the Harman IEM target and believes it has shouty upper-mids, so the RED is a retuning based on his preferences. It has a slight downwards tilt in comparison to the target, less bass and less distortion.

To say it has "better" tuning is incorrect, if anyone here is claiming that. There is no study around Crinacle's preferred tuning to support that it's "better." He simply prefers it that way. He claims that the Harman IEM target is less rigorously studied than the over-ear target, and he's correct. That doesn't make his preferred tuning universally better without anything objective to back it up. I believe he's conducting studies of his own though to determine what people prefer.
Ultimately, the dispute between whether the RED sounds better or the Zero sounds better is unresolved.

I've EQ'd the Zero to the RED and tbh preferred the original for some material, but found the Red to be better for metal/rock.
Ultimately, go with the RED. It has lower distortion and a 10 ohm adapter to increase the bass to your preferred taste.
Just be aware of comfort issues due to the large nozzle size. There are other IEMs with similar tunings that may be more ergonomic for you personally. Neither the RED nor the original are terribly unique and there's quite a few IEMs with similar tunings (Moondrop Chu, Moondrop Lan, Salnotes Zero, Truthear Hola and Hexa, and others.)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bores are large indeed at 6.2mm. But according to the post you linked, it is still within mean range for the 14 studies conducted so not too bad I'd say. In any case, this was exactly my point; there is so much variation in human ear and head anatomy, it is virtually impossible with our current manufacturing methods to manufacture a product that can fit everyone comfortably.

View attachment 299910
The Zero must definitely are not ergonomically "good"- the nozzle is too long as well as too wide and the rest of the shell is also too big. I suspect they realise this - I got the Hola at the weekend which is massively improved in this regard. The bore is just about the same width but about half the length and the rest of the shell is slimmer too meaning it sits "in" the cavity in my lugs (concha?) so its not constantly trying to lever itself loose.

Reactions: MCH

Blorg

Also consider the Moondrop Jiu (DSP), particularly if you prefer Harman, it's closer to that in the upper mids region.
1689674400599.png

It's probably also a bit closer to the Red in the bass, in the shape of the curve, it has a more "sculpted" bass shelf than the Lan. But the Lan is closer to the Red in the upper mids. I like both, difficult to say which I prefer. Red and Lan are more relaxed in that region, less harsh, which I do generally prefer over full Harman. Both the Jiu and Lan are normal size nozzle and I don't think they'd be an issue for anyone. The IEM bodies are pretty small and compact too. Jiu has attached non-removable USB-C/DSP cable, Lan is removable. Jiu is roughly half the price and really very good. The DAC supports up to 24/96 which is more than the Quarks did (locked at 16/48), I don't think this inherently matters but it does seem to be a higher quality DAC in general and doesn't hiss.

1689674549368.png

Nozzle sizes in mm:

Zero 5.8/6.8 (lip)
Hexa 6.0/6.3 (slight taper)
Lan 5.0/5.8 (lip)
Jiu 5.2/6.0 (lip)

markanini

Major Contributor
Moondrop Blessing 2 is another IEM with giganozzles at 6.5mm. There's good reason for different options to exist on the market, if everyone should have a chance to find something that works for them. That's why the big nozzle bad narrative can't be inclusive of everyone. I have a friend that had comfort issues with multiple IEM, all of which happened to have skinny nozzles, so it's good to know that skinny nozzles is not necessarily a golden ticket for IEM comfort, and not genralize.

+1 on Moondrop Lan, it shares many qualities with Red that makes it versatile for many kinds of music.

Last edited:
Top Bottom