• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 10.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 84.0%

• Total voters

markanini

Major Contributor
Anyone here willing to share a Harman 2019 IEM EQ for Zero:Red without impedance adapter? AutoEQ only provides a diffusion(?) target for them and I don't know how to further eq it to Harman. https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/Bruel & Kjaer 4620 in-ear/Truthear x Crinacle Zero RED
Try this
1686497055941.png

Code:
Preamp: -3.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 2.8 dB Q 0.500
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 330 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 1.600
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1400 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 0.500
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6400 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7900 Hz Gain -5.8 dB Q 2.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain 2.4 dB Q 1.200

Attachments

• Truthear x Crinacle ZERO_RED Filters.txt
    492 bytes · Views: 46

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone here willing to share a Harman 2019 IEM EQ for Zero:Red without impedance adapter? AutoEQ only provides a diffusion(?) target for them and I don't know how to further eq it to Harman. https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle/Bruel & Kjaer 4620 in-ear/Truthear x Crinacle Zero RED

I'd play around with that high shelf value and the 6, 8 and 10k filters , especially the 8k, try without that one for sure. Just by sight, not tested it.

EDIT- @markanini pipped me to the post

Edit 2- Im an idiot- I used a bass + measurment. So deleting the charts. Dont day drink and EQ folks.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are more impressions from 7Hz Salnotes Zero versus Truthears Zero Red versus Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk, sound only.

7Hz Zero imo is the most balanced of all three. But when the mix is busy, it is blurs things more easily.

Dusk is bassier and more resolving, I use it with Spinfit 145 to better balance things. I feel it has borderline too much sibilance and stronger bass than my natural.

Red has the cheap feel of the 7Hz Zero, but with the resolution on busy mixes of the Dusk, along with its more pronounced bass, but with somewhat less treble of all three.

My ideal IEM would be the finish and resolution of the Dusk, with the perfect tonality of the 7Hz Zero, along with the non existing sibilance and nice round sound of the Red.

PS: Blessing 3 does not belong to this group as it has less bass than 7Hz Zero and too much treble, making it unnatural and fatiguing.

D35_3335-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not that my subjective review matters, but vs the Aria, the RED is more 'natural' to my ears. Bass is clearly further extended on some notable tracks giving 'atmosphere' to some notes rather than heavier bass exactly.

Much more capable of high SPL.

When EQed to Harman 2019 target the Aria sounds 'enhanced' a little. Its perhaps a little more exciting initially, but not sustainably to my ears (due to my job I have thousands of hours on them)

The RED doesn't sound as good EQed to Harman 2019, but I find is much better to the latest crinicle target with a +3 db from 250hz down shelf.

this target isn't as effective on the Aria.

THe RED is the best IEM I have heard to date.
Both are Leagues ahead of my AKG 371 over ears.

THe REDs are the smoothest non fatiguing IEM I have heard (particularly with female voice), but I suspect it is possible to get the tiniest bit smoother in the mid somehow.

Very occasionally, with the 3db shelf, I notice some deeper female voice can give a sense of 'authority' that I have never heard before.

When it happens, it notably raises my heart rate a little. I have had this effect with very large speakers (JBL 15inch bass units with 18inch subs) in smaller rooms, but have never noticed it on female voice, and certainly never with IEMs.

Even if you don't keep it at the level, I highly recommend turning the bass up for a trial with these IEMs. It shines on unusual tracks with overblown bass concurrent with other instruments that other IEMs can't separate the details.

With speakers, I find you need really massive bass drivers to keep the life in a track, or is sounds like a poor recording (JayZ comes to mind) these IEMs excel with complex tracks like metal also. Try 'no church in the wild' and notice all the complex background reverb/breathing and details that are normally lost with the deliberately distorted bass (the cracking in the track at about 2.10 is in the recording by the way).

Alternatively Jay Z 'holy grail' becomes a really good song, rather than 'average' somehow.

Or good old Led Zeppelin where it holds all the instruments separately when you turn it up as the dynamic range is quite high.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you ever had any trouble with customs doing so?
In this case customs were handled by the importer, not me-the tax was included in the amazon price of €55. Earlier I had ordered from foreign (chinese) shops on ebay several times and twice I had to pickup the package at the local customs office and pay tax.

GaryH

Major Contributor
So you are strongly recommending we get 2 pairs each?
Huh?
Interestingly you went all the way to sample 5 to find the least matching lol.
Nope, sample 5 is the default when loading it, so I stuck with that, as I presume Crinacle thinks it's the most representative. (And I would expect him to have chosen the most representative Dusk sample for its 5128 measurement too.)
Broadband differences of at most ~1db up to 5khz apart from the 200hz and 6khz sections I'd suggest are going to sound quite similar for many genre's.
You're still making the common mistake of only looking at the amplitude of a deviation. You need to look rather at the area under the deviation, taking into account the frequency range it covers. A low amplitude deviation over a large frequency range will be audible, due to how the ear works. Please read this post I linked previously, as well as this post, which explain all this.
Here's them compared on Red Sample 1, much closer than the one you picked:
View attachment 291484
You're not aligning at the industry standard 500 Hz as I did, and you've kept the default squashed vertical scaling. Once those are remedied the differences are very similar to sample 5 as I posted previously:
graph-85.png

I've seen Dusk measurements with fairly pulled back upper treble
Which measurements, using what coupler?
But there's also no doubt they have similar tonality at least on some rigs, and clearly my set of ears.
The rig matters, and the most accurate measurements show that they are not in fact 'very, very similar' as you riginally claimed (not just that they have 'similar tonality' as you're now saying). You also cannot use your personal impressions to debunk someone else's, as you did when you called that reviewer's impressions of the difference between the Red and Dusk 'bizarre', especially when one of the biggest differences between them is in the upper treble, and the reviewer is young enough to likely have a higher upper frequency hearing limit.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

markanini

Major Contributor
(That's still a measurement by Crinacle, just for those that's thinking it's an Oratory measurement).
Yes, it's in the fine print. Maybe @MayaTlab can say something to the significance of that, if he wants.

In case anyone needs context, Crinacle and Resolve made a big deal about Red differing from Harman IE target. Oratory1990s response basically pulls the rug under their feet.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it's in the fine print. Maybe @MayaTlab can say something to the significance of that, if he wants.

In case anyone needs context, Crinacle and Resolve made a big deal about Red differing from Harman IE target. Oratory1990s response basically pulls the rug under their feet.
Line em up at 500 as good ol Gary keeps telling us.

MacClintock

You're misremembering. The range of frequencies the IEM algorithm uses is 20 Hz to 10 kHz, with only one of three variables (limited weighting) restricted to > 40 Hz.
The mean starts at 40 Hz, check line 1289 here: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/autoeq/frequency_response.py:
y = fr.error[np.logical_and(fr.frequency >= 40, fr.frequency <= 10000)] - delta
The other two begin at 20Hz, but since the slope is about one order of magnitude smaller than std and mean (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md#in-ear-headphones), it can be neglected. Furthermore, the overall formula to calculate the adherence score seems pretty arbitrary, I highly doubt there is any theoretical justification for it. If you choose other constant values (100.0795, 8.5, 6.796, 3.475) you will have different results. Where do these constants come from?

score = 100.0795 - 8.5 * std - 6.796 * np.abs(slope) - 3.475 * mean
I (and the reviewer who's impressions we're referring to, and as I understand @lazarian ) are talking about the Red sans adapter.
Ok, but the Red WITH the adapter appears to be closer to Harman in bass and less so at ear gain, where it is good to have less energy.
Whether it's a deliberate choice is irrelevant. Grados are deliberately tuned with huge treble peaks and many people claim to love them in uncontrolled sighted listening.
Yes, but Grados sound like shit and the Red sounds to most people better than the Dusk.
Crinacle's clone coupler measurements cannot be used to accurately judge Harman target adherence; they trend towards underestimating the ear gain, as evidenced by comparing his Dusk measurements to Oratory's professional measurements linked above using the exact same (genuine GRAS RA0045) coupler Harman used when devising their target (yes there are other variables such as unit variation, but the trend is there). This error in the clone coupler is likely down to acoustic impedance differences from the GRAS RA0045, which means there wouldn't be an exactly constant error transfer function between them for all IEMs, so the former cannot even be used to accurately judge differences between IEMs.
Ok, but until we have measurements from Sr. Davy for the Red, we have to deal with what we have to compare these two, either clone coupler or 5128.
Again, we're talking about the response without the adapter, and you need to normalize at 500 Hz as per the industry standard.
You can normalise as you like, this cannot invalidate any comparison. But if you want it at 500 Hz, here we go, the Dusk has less bass and too much energy between 4 and 8 kHz.
graph (5).png

Last edited:

MacClintock

Yes, he tried to pull the rug, but for many people, me included, the Harmann IE2019v2 target has too much ear gain and thus sounds shouty, as do many IEMs adherering to it. The Red has less and thus does not sound shouty. I think that was the tuning goal and it is very well executed. What is missing is a bit smoother and pronunced treble and a bit less upper bass/lower midrange (80-800kHz), because of this I will keep my Variations.
Frequency response Moondrop Variations vs Truthear Zero Red 10 Ohm impedance adapter.png

GaryH

Major Contributor
This is not correct, it starts at 40 Hz, check line 1289 here: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/autoeq/frequency_response.py:
y = fr.error[np.logical_and(fr.frequency >= 40, fr.frequency <= 10000)] - delta
Check line 1281. From Dr Olive himself:
Screenshot_20230612_003222.png

The other two begin at 20Hz
Exactly, a majority of two out of the three parameters are based on data down to 20 Hz, so you were wrong to say it only uses data above 40 Hz.
but since the slope is about one order of magnitude smaller than std and mean (https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md#in-ear-headphones), it can be neglected.
That's...not how this works.
Furthermore, the overall formula to calculate the adherence score seems pretty arbitrary, I highly doubt there is any theoretical justification for it. If you choose other constant values (100.0795, 8.5, 6.796, 3.475) you will have different results. Where do these constants come from?
Here:
Screenshot_20230612_012707.png

The predicted preference ratings from this model had a 91% correlation with actual average preference ratings given to IEM frequency responses in Harman's blind tests. Looks like you've got some reading to do.
Ok, but the Red WITH the adapter appears to be closer to Harman in bass and less so at ear gain, where it is good to have less energy.
Says who?
Yes, but Grados sound like shit
In blind tests (as Harman found with their mediocre ratings), yes. In sighted listening however many rave about them, just have a look at head-fi. Are you seeing the problem here?
and the Red sounds to most people better than the Dusk
Says who?
Ok, but until we have measurements from Sr. Davy for the Red, we have to deal with what we have to compare these two, either clone coupler or 5128.
The latter.
the Dusk has less bass and too much energy between 4 and 8 kHz.
Says who? You're stating all this as if they're facts, but there isn't a single shred of valid evidence in the form of controlled blind listening tests to back any of this up.

Last edited:

MacClintock

Check line 1281. From Dr Olive himself:
View attachment 291638

Exactly, a majority of two out of the three parameters are based on data down to 20 Hz, so you were wrong to say it only uses data above 40 Hz.
Ok, but where is the JUSTIFICATION to start at 40Hz?Just because Sean Olive chose (at random?) to take that value does not give it any theoretical basis.
That's...not how this works.
This is exactly how it works. Look, I am a physicist, if some variable is about an order of magnitude smaller than the others, you usually can safely neglect it to get an overall result, exactly like in this case.

Says who?
Say quite lot of people in the community, here on ASR, and elsewhere. You are aware of the fact that the 2019IEv2 target (which is based on the 2017 one) was "validated" at Harman by less than 20 listeners (Sean Olive's own words)? So quantitatively there is not much to back it up.
In blind tests (as Harman found with their mediocre ratings), yes. In sighted listening however many rave about them, just have a look at head-fi. Are you seeing the problem here?
No, no serious audiophile likes Grado headphones, just deluded people.
Says who? You're stating all this as if they're facts, but there isn't a single shred of valid evidence in the form of controlled blind listening tests to back any of this up.
Just in this thread are already more people commenting on the advantage of lower ear gain than the total involved in generating the 2019IEv2 target, see also

Last edited:

muza_1

I also don't like the Harman 2019v2 target for me it is not only shouty but bright and thin too, i prefer the IEF 2023 +4 bass or better yet the DF target with a -0.8(dB/oct) tilt and +8dB of bass boost, also i like the RED much more than the blue ones, with the original i tried different measurements to eq them but never got as good a result as with the RED, maybe the unit to unit variation was a bit much with mine?
The only complaint i have is that for outdoor use they pick up a lot of wind noise.

MacClintock

I also don't like the Harman 2019v2 target for me it is not only shouty but bright and thin too, i prefer the IEF 2023 +4 bass or better yet the DF target with a -0.8(dB/oct) tilt and +8dB of bass boost, also i like the RED much more than the blue ones, with the original i tried different measurements to eq them but never got as good a result as with the RED, maybe the unit to unit variation was a bit much with mine?
The only complaint i have is that for outdoor use they pick up a lot of wind noise.
I have never used them ouside, I though that was a joke:

MacClintock

Try this
View attachment 291532

Code:
Preamp: -3.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 30 Hz Gain 2.8 dB Q 0.500
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 330 Hz Gain -1.1 dB Q 1.600
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1400 Hz Gain -1.5 dB Q 2.000
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 0.500
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 6400 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 2.000
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 7900 Hz Gain -5.8 dB Q 2.000
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 8100 Hz Gain 2.4 dB Q 1.200
In my opinion the Red really doesn't necessitate EQ. Why would anybody get it and then EQ it to Harman? Isn't the whole point the less bright and shouty tuning in the 2kH- 6kHz region?

Last edited:
Top Bottom