• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear Nova IEMs

rubicon99

I have found these and most iems to be very tip sensitive. The nozzles on these are really narrow by most standards, and I have left a tip in my ear more than once. They sound very different with XELASTECs versus velvets on them. Velvets really seem to back down the sometimes brightness, and bring in some much needed base. Listening to them with anything that shipped with them just hurts.
Yes they do hurt out of the box. Which Velvet tips are you referring to?

Demir958

before encountering this discussion
I was thinking of buying dun sa6mk2
I'm not sure now
Does it make more sense to buy Nova for a longer price?

Blorg

@Demir958 they are quite different IEMs. I haven't heard the SA6Mk2 but I do have the Nova and the OG SA6. If you want Harman Nova is a lot closer to Harman. SA6 Mk2 has much less in the pinna gain region. Nova is certainly better value.
1706861721986.png

It does raise the question, though, why were you thinking of buying the SA6 Mk2, and why now are you swayed to the Nova in particular. If you want and/or find "normal" the more relaxed upper mids from the SA6, the Nova will sound bright, harsh, thin to you. Conversely someone looking for Harman, the SA6 Mk2 I'd expect would sound a bit dark and muffled; the OG SA6 to me doesn't overly but it has a bit more in that region, while still less than the Nova.

It's just that they are two totally different IEMs so why one and then the other, it maybe indicates you might not know the "why" or what you really like (EQ is great for figuring that one out, before spending $$$).

alter4

From crin. 5128 tomorrow.

Nova.jpg

F7b7dL1acAAWAd1
Hi All,

could someone be so kind to clarify:
1) what is mysterious "crin. 5128 tomorrow"?
2) What is graph below? some reference curve?
3) What magic incantation "F7B7d..." at the bottom of the graph means

:)
Thanks

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,

could someone be so kind to clarify:

:)
Thanks
That F7B.. is an unloaded image, which answers some of your other questions :)

1706895665291.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
What Matias meant was:
"Here are Crinacle's measurements of the Truthear Nova on his IEC60318-4 compliant coupler.
Measurements using his B&K 5128 (4620) system will be uploaded tomorrow."

Which graph specifically?

It's just a generic string of letters which Twitter has assigned to the image. There's no special meaning.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
before encountering this discussion
I was thinking of buying dun sa6mk2
I'm not sure now
Does it make more sense to buy Nova for a longer price?
All the (subjective) reviews and indeed measurements suggest the SA6 v2 is not a sound buy. The OG SA6 had great comfort (imagine the v2 does too) and a frequency response that had a decent but lower than Harman ear gain for folks that like a more relaxed / warmer sound. The v2 as graphs above show is v oddly tuned. I would suggest neither version is priced competitively today.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which graph specifically?
I think they are talking about the 2 curves in the graph.

@alter4, top one is the compensated measurements (i.e. difference between raw measurements and reference curve) and the bottom one is the raw FR referenced over IEF Neutral 2023 target.

Demir958

All the (subjective) reviews and indeed measurements suggest the SA6 v2 is not a sound buy. The OG SA6 had great comfort (imagine the v2 does too) and a frequency response that had a decent but lower than Harman ear gain for folks that like a more relaxed / warmer sound. The v2 as graphs above show is v oddly tuned. I would suggest neither version is priced competitively

All the (subjective) reviews and indeed measurements suggest the SA6 v2 is not a sound buy. The OG SA6 had great comfort (imagine the v2 does too) and a frequency response that had a decent but lower than Harman ear gain for folks that like a more relaxed / warmer sound. The v2 as graphs above show is v oddly tuned. I would suggest neither version is priced competitively today.
Thank you,
What is the best and most logical investment for 500 dollars?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In addition to this one, I'm intrigued by the Simgot EA500 LM. Anyone have a set and what are your listening impressions?

Also it's becoming apparent to me that there are just some incredible values to be had for l.t. $200. Anyone here care to make a case that more expensive IEMs, like $1000+ have anything at all to offer in terms of increased sonic quality? Love to hear the take of someone with a very expensive pr of IEMs on this question.

Last edited:

HD800Fan

How do people EQ these on an android phone?

staticV3

Master Contributor
How do people EQ these on an android phone?
For general Apps like YouTube, Spotify, SoundCloud, etc, use Wavelet or Poweramp Equalizer.

For FLAC, MP3, DSD, Internet radio, Qobuz, Tidal, use USB Audio Player Pro with its built-in Parametric EQ.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For general Apps like YouTube, Spotify, SoundCloud, etc, use Wavelet or Poweramp Equalizer.

For FLAC, MP3, DSD, Internet radio, Qobuz, Tidal, use USB Audio Player Pro with its built-in Parametric EQ.
Wavelet can handle qobuz on my pixel 7.

HD800Fan

Isn't there just an app that EQs the whole device?

HD800Fan

That's what Wavelet and Poweramp Equalizer are doing. Systemwide EQ.
Great, and I see now you can just import an EQ profile from AutoEQ for the Nova's?

markanini

Major Contributor
In addition to this one, I'm intrigued by the Simgot EA500 LM. Anyone have a set and what are your listening impressions?

Also it's becoming apparent to me that there are just some incredible values to be had for l.t. $200. Anyone here care to make a case that more expensive IEMs, like $1000+ have anything at all to offer in terms of increased sonic quality? Love to hear the take of someone with a very expensive pr of IEMs on this question.
Sorry not to answer to your question, but I'm waiting out EA500LM as it has the hallmarks of a overhyped IEM.

kalibri

Sorry not to answer to your question, but I'm waiting out EA500LM as it has the hallmarks of a overhyped IEM.
I got a set recently and I have to agree, it's not that great (to my ears)

I like the treble but the low end is a bit disappointing, to my ears it sounds warm but without much substance and there is no punch or rumble. Other people reports though are fairly positive so not sure if it's just my ears.

Top Bottom