• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 10.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 84.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

markanini

Major Contributor
Seems Crinacles taste coincides with Moondrops.
Screenshot 2023-06-10 102459.png

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice headphones.
I bought it and like the sound out of the box.
Could do with a bit more highest frequency trebble (I'm 61), but it's good.

Better than the Blue Zero, which I find aggressive in mid-high medium (distortion, probably) sometimes.

There is enough bass without the (provided) 10 ohm resistor adapter for me. I tried with, but prefer without.

Sensitivity is a bit short with an (European version) Apple dongle, but (just) enough with my Samsung Note 9 direct output.

Confort is also good, and they fit better than the blue, it seems.

Arcticpollen

Mine have now shipped and looking forward to trying these out alongside my original blue pair. Took me a while with the blue ones to find some tips that were comfortable and provided a good seal. They work well for me with the Spinfit CP155.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice headphones.
I bought it and like the sound out of the box.
Could do with a bit more highest frequency trebble (I'm 61), but it's good.

Better than the Blue Zero, which I find aggressive in mid-high medium (distortion, probably) sometimes.

There is enough bass without the (provided) 10 ohm resistor adapter for me. I tried with, but prefer without.

Sensitivity is a bit short with an (European version) Apple dongle, but (just) enough with my Samsung Note 9 direct output.

Confort is also good, and they fit better than the blue, it seems.
(I seriously doubt distortion is an issue for you on the Blue Zero, it's a very low distortion headphone - it'll be due to the frequency response differences instead).

lazarian

I have to admit, it's hilarious watching reviewers give convoluted reasons to critique a well performing $55 IEM. The same kind of reviewer, invertedly giving the best compliment I've seen so far, for an IEM.

View attachment 291304
Quite bizarre really as the Dusk is tuned very very similarly to the Red. I had both side by side and really it was a bit of a toss up as to which I preferred. So much so I just sold the Dusk, Red does enough to not warrant the price difference for my usage.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Quite bizarre really as the Dusk is tuned very very similarly to the Red.
The Dusk is significantly closer to Harman:

Screenshot_20230610_172200.png

In fact, it has the second highest (behind the AKG N400) Harman predicted preference rating (a measure of adherence to the target) of 87% (as measured on Oratory's GRAS rather than Crinacle's clone coupler) of all IEMs on AutoEQ's ranking table, so it's no surprise they preferred it. It has broadband (higher audibility) more bass, more mid-treble, and far better treble extension than the Red, all of which matters.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That all depends at what level you're listening, I suppose.
View attachment 291376
I don't think you're listening at 114dB, as it doesn't really require much bass EQ. Even the 114dB would probably sound OK with that distortion profile. Both the Blue Zero and the Red Zero are very low distortion headphones - I'd say there's zero chance that distortion differences would differentiate these two IEM's when it comes to listening.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite bizarre really as the Dusk is tuned very very similarly to the Red. I had both side by side and really it was a bit of a toss up as to which I preferred. So much so I just sold the Dusk, Red does enough to not warrant the price difference for my usage.
To my ears the Dusk has noticeably more "thump". After that though, yes, similar.

Edit. I also eq a 180hz couple of dB dip in the Dusk. Leave the Red as stock

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am in a similar position - I have been doing side by side comparisons with the Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite all day and it's very similar but subtly different. Though I think the Red is much more of a 'flat' Monitor like response than the Blue (or the Dusk or similar Harman targeted IEM's like the Moondrop Chu or the SalNotes Zero which IMO are more V shaped). That was a reason I went with the Kiwi Ears but the Red is very close to that more perfect response to my ears.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I got mine today. I love them. They sound flat to me with no audible distortion. First headphone that i do not need to eq.
Thanks @amirm for the review!
Nice, I know you uphold a speaker database here on ASR, are you a "speaker afficianado" also (experience wise)?

markanini

Major Contributor
If someone more than me finds it interesting, this set matches a few more target curves than Crinacles.
Screenshot 2023-06-10 212717.png

Screenshot 2023-06-10 212640.png

And, as an aside to that, I didn't expect to like such a bass-lean tuning as much as I do!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If someone more than me finds it interesting, this set matches a few more target curves than Crinacles.View attachment 291399

View attachment 291400

And, as an aside to that, I didn't expect to like such a bass-lean tuning as much as I do!
(Of course, by that fact, both targets are very similar) It's true also that this IEM is nicely smooth in frequency response and not far off Harman 2019 IEM (in terms of EQ, not subjective sound at stock), so it's an easy relaxed EQ to Harman 2019 IEM. In my mind (& experience with Blue Zero) there is nothing wrong with either of these IEM's - very close to perfect & easily tuneable to the target of your choice (especially the ones we've mentioned).

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

markanini

Major Contributor
(Of course, by that fact, both targets are very similar) It's true also that this IEM is nicely smooth in frequency response and not far off Harman 2019 IEM, so it's an easy relaxed EQ to Harman 2019 IEM. In my mind (& experience with Blue Zero) there is nothing wrong with either of these IEM's - very close to perfect & easily tuneable to the target of your choice (especially the ones we've mentioned).
In my case the I had OG Zero in my Amazon wish list for a while. By the time I was ready to order the Zero was no longer available, and the Red was newly listed. So I had no choice, unless willing to risk a import tax surcharge. Either way, there's no reason to think either Zero is bad IMO. Both look to be well received, and the same people are behind each. The OG Zero has more authority behind it's matching target, so I'm posting Red matching targets for the fun of it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In my case the I had OG Zero in my Amazon wish list for a while. By the time I was ready to order the Zero was no longer available, and the Red was newly listed. So I had no choice, unless willing to risk a import tax surcharge. Either way, there's no reason to think either Zero is bad IMO. Both look to be well received, and the same people are behind each. The OG Zero has more authority behind it's matching target, so I'm posting Red matching targets for the fun of it.
I'm pretty sure crinacle tuned it to be his 2020 ief target (with a 6db bass shelf) which of course is substantially the same as the others you've posted.

What is interesting is it definitely isn't his 2023 target

Suspect that will be the 2024 line up.

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm pretty sure crinacle tuned it to be his 2020 ief target (with a 6db bass shelf) which of course is substantially the same as the others you've posted.

What is interesting is it definitely isn't his 2023 target

Suspect that will be the 2024 line up.
It will have to be named Zero: Green :p

Reactions: GPJ
Top Bottom