• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also to those of you who are convinced PA5 used certain chip, you can hot air replace one onto it and see if it functions normally. It can not would not.
If I were you (and Topping), I would have kept us in that delusion. It would have brought multiple additional days of sniggering and laughter to you guys.

On the other hand, now you can see us endulge in another round of conspiracies :facepalm:. I guess either way, you win:cool:

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@JohnYang1997 whats a good dac to go with the pa5? I currently have a smsl m200 dac. I prefer the volume control knob on the dac else would have ordered the e50.
I would like to know this too... what Topping DAC goes best with the PA5. I already have the PA5 on the way because I ordered one right away after reading the data and to me, I would buy it for 500 easy for such measured performance. Ill know how it sounds in a few days time compared to my DA-9, which is no slouch when it comes to transparency.

AudioArchitech

on a side note, wow, I was shocked to see the Yamaha R-N803 so high up the ASR SINAD list. Do you think the R-N602 measures just as good? If so, that looks like quite a bargain considering the feature set.

F1308

Major Contributor
When Bugatti was told their cars had poor brakes, Bugatti said they made cars to speed-up, not no brake.
When Rolls-Royce was asked about the power their engines developed, the answer was they developed more than enough.
When Michelangelo was asked when it would be finished, the answer was when it is finished.
And as for Topping being asked about what and what and what is inside the case, the answer should be just go and listen to it.

Reactions: dib

anphex

Forum Donor
Many questions about whether the effect is sufficient in PA5. How much effect can be needed when playing music with a lot of dynamics? Here this video maybe can give some guidance:

No wonder there is usually talk of a headroom when it comes to power and amplifiers.Although it is clear if you play music that is very compressed, no peaks or valleys but more of a smooth porridge, it does not place such high demands on the amplifier. Which, incidentally, is mentioned in that video.:)

I love all about this video: the style that looks like "The Office" and feels like there's a joke coming in any second, the 2007 youtube style, the information... But I am also confused at the same time. What volume did they listen to at 1m? How can the amp deliver about 500W+ when it's rated for 350 Watt? Did they confuse something? Or were the meters acutally just showing the recent short peak values?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I should clarify. One side had a load and other side empty no load. But both inputs were driven by same signal. I forgot that both channel inputs were connected but a load was only connected on one side. The side without the load blew up.
I did this many times, never had any issue. I think it's still the issue with open load and clipping. The same suggestion as before applies.

pma

Major Contributor
TPA3255 has clipping detection and safely triggers off itself wit no load and driven from sweep or square. However, I have never tried to disconnect the load when driven from high swing square.

Klint

Also to those of you who are convinced PA5 used certain chip, you can hot air replace one onto it and see if it functions normally. It can not would not.
And multiple cares are taken into making the clipping behavior good, frequency response +-0.3dB from 10-40khz (you won't find this elsewhere) and already known low noise and distortion. You can't just increase feedback and call it the day, it's only the start.
Also like mentioned, it took some serious work to make things work. I have developed accurate simulation models and novel optimization methods. You are not finding these anywhere else.
After my NFCA circuit got copied and supposedly patented(in China) by a different company and even there are clear errors in the patent filing, it drove me mad like no tomorrow. I of course would go extra mile protecting all the hours that went in.
And to people who think it's still overpriced. This is sold globally with many authorized resellers with hierarchy. The provided power supply is actually 300W supply. All of this I don't think you'll get anything better for cheaper.
I fully understand your hiding of essential parts in the amplifier, rebrand and scrape of as much as possible. This is the only way to protect your inventions, long enough.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I love all about this video: the style that looks like "The Office" and feels like there's a joke coming in any second, the 2007 youtube style, the information... But I am also confused at the same time. What volume did they listen to at 1m? How can the amp deliver about 500W+ when it's rated for 350 Watt? Did they confuse something? Or were the meters acutally just showing the recent short peak values?
They speak quite freely and alternate between talking about RMS and Dynamic Effect for the amplifiers. It is probably most thought to illustrate that this with music with a lot of dynamics (strong / large transistent peaks, high crest factor) that it can make a lot of demands on the need for effect.:)

Then it is as usual how "picky" or sensitive you are if an amplifier is occasionally driven into the clipping. Do they mention what music they are testing with? Do not remember. It would have been fun to know how dynamic that music is.:)

I post this classic again. I have posted this before, but for those who have not seen it. You do not have to be a trained EE to intuitively understand what it's about. Requirements that were certain music (compressed or not) can be placed on amplifiers (and speakers).

anphex

Forum Donor
The song is called Letpev Sea.
Then again I highly doubt those are the real peak values. As long as I don't know the speaker specs, specs of that measurement thingy and the volume they were listend to this value seems arbitrary.

AudioArchitech

Until I receive Pecan Pi streamer and MiniDSP setup. Couldn't I just connect Laptop/E30 Dac via RCA to XLR adaptor to Crown XLS1502 (subwoofer) via XLR Input and Loop out TRS to TRS on Pa5? E30 Dac Output Voltage is 2V. Crown is 1.4V Input Sensitivity. Pa5 is 2.6V Input. I would be using Volume control on PC until PecanPi arrives. Then PecanPi XLR Y-Cable to Pa5 and Crown. Then add the MiniDSP setup when it's sorted (all balanced)

Last edited:

Kaval

I would like to know this too... what Topping DAC goes best with the PA5. I already have the PA5 on the way because I ordered one right away after reading the data and to me, I would buy it for 500 easy for such measured performance. Ill know how it sounds in a few days time compared to my DA-9, which is no slouch when it comes to transparency.
As an owner of DA9 and a potential buyer of PA5, I am looking forward to your comparative analysis and observations.

DanielT

Major Contributor
The song is called Letpev Sea.
Then again I highly doubt those are the real peak values. As long as I don't know the speaker specs, specs of that measurement thingy and the volume they were listend to this value seems arbitrary.
A pinch of salt is advocated for those videos, yes, but the principle itself is still what it is. Then as usual under what conditions. The only thing is to try it out during your Hifi trip. And to get tips and advice from knowledgeable people. At least that's how I reason.

The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy music. Easy to get caught up in technical details (at least for my own part). Technical details that I am also a beginner around. Although it's fun to think about.:)

nhs

@JohnYang1997, congratulation to your next master piece, hat's off. Anyway I'm wondering how the SINAD is measured if I have to reduce the input level by -10 db with the volume knob of PS5.
Did you or can you measure it?
Thank you!

MCH

Major Contributor
After my NFCA circuit got copied and supposedly patented(in China) by a different company and even there are clear errors in the patent filing, it drove me mad like no tomorrow. I of course would go extra mile protecting all the hours that went in.
Well John, filling a patent on something that was already on the market is like... wasting a bit of ink at most, let alone trying to enforce it... I would take it as a tribute :D
Congrats btw, i wish you sell zillions of these.

BoredErica

Too bad the dacs suggested here won't work for me because I don't just want stereo dac. I wanna plug in a sub in there too. Imagine Topping level noise with remote. That's the dream.

Rafaille

Too bad the dacs suggested here won't work for me because I don't just want stereo dac. I wanna plug in a sub in there too. Imagine Topping level noise with remote. That's the dream.
Topping EX5 (or similar) works great here, using trs to pa5 for speakers and rca to active sub. Downside is there is no low pass/high pass so same signal is sent to all outputs, and one is 2V and the other one is 4V but that can be easily adjusted with volume control on the sub.

Top Bottom