• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

maty

Major Contributor
20hz power graph and crosstalk measurements showed otherwise. Adding more doesn't do any better especially at 38V.

What do you think about other cap (same uF or something more) with better Rated Ripple and less ESR? Is it a good idea a cap with less ESR with your PA5 or other class D amps?

Mundorf-MLGO-table.png

KSTR

Major Contributor
The lower the ESR the higher the chances a tank circuit is formed with the ceramic bybass cap right at the chip (ESL of the e-cap + C of the ceramic). Low ESR isn't always a good choice.

Paco De Lucia

Changing the caps in this product won't have any positive effect.

xrk971

Audio Company
Would this difference be noticeable if playing speakers to around 60Hz and Subwoofer handling the rest?
It all depends on how loud you play, speaker sensitivity, type of speaker (reflex, sealed, TL, etc). 60Hz is needed to reach 55Hz kickdrums- where typically deepest bass reach is for most music. But having more reserves for headroom is always nice vs the amp hitting a limit. You can calculate how much charge is stored by multiplying rail voltage by capacitance. 38v x 2200uF = 84mC of charge.

On my amp with 51v rail x 4700uF x 2 = 480mC.

That’s quite a difference in how much charge can be delivered from a woofer on a hard kick drum “punch”.

Edited to fix unit error from mJ to mC. Energy stored in a capacitor is 1/2 x Charge x Voltage^2 (in Joules).

Last edited:

Kevinfc

I’m setting my sights on the next, higher powered version of this amp, which John alluded to earlier. I can’t wait to hear more about it in the future.

As far as the pricing discussion, I think we’re splitting hairs a bit too much around here. By all evidence it seems to be a very good offering at $349 for a 50wpc plus amp.

My only criticism (from afar, as I do not own it), is the name. PA5 sounds like a crude amplifier which would be used for addressing the public, i.e. public address, not a fine piece of equipment used for music. But I’m probably just being silly.

Last edited:

TNT

I’m setting my sights on the next, higher powered version of this amp, which John alluded to earlier. I can’t wait to hear more about it in the future.

As far as the pricing discussion, I think we’re splitting hairs a bit too much around here. By all evidence it seems to be a very good offering at $349 for a 50wpc plus amp.

My only criticism (from afar, as I do not own it), is the name. PA5 sounds like a crude amplifier which would be used for addressing the public, i.e. public address, not a fine piece of equipment used for music. But I’m probably just being silly.
probably -> certainly :)

//

maty

Major Contributor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The PA5 has only a single shared 2200uF of bulk rail capacitance between the PSU and the TPA3255 chip. The value recommended by the TI reference design is two 4700uF (one on each channel). This would dramatically increase the charge reserves for deep bass transients and also improve stereo channel separation.
You say crosstalk will suffer. Why doesn’t show it in the measurements then?

1639253838343.png

pma

Major Contributor
You say crosstalk will suffer. Why doesn’t show it in the measurements then?

The only quantity that might "suffer" would be power supply rail modulation by amplifier supply current. This current depends on output swing and load and the supply rail modulation will also depend on signal frequency and capacitor bank Xc impedance at the signal frequency. So the modulation ripple will be higher with smaller capacitance. Now it is about the PSRR, if it is high enough, there should be no considerable worsening of the crosstalk. This (capacitor value) is definitely not the most important design point.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only quantity that might "suffer" would be power supply rail modulation by amplifier supply current. This current depends on output swing and load and the supply rail modulation will also depend on signal frequency and capacitor bank Xc impedance at the signal frequency. So the modulation ripple will be higher with smaller capacitance. Now it is about the PSRR, if it is high enough, there should be no considerable worsening of the crosstalk. This (capacitor value) is definitely not the most important design point.
Agreed. However, I’m disappointed with the posters who were striking this amplifier after reading a post presuming there’s a fault in the design. Haven’t they learned at least to be objective? Look at the figures that are disputed.

Also, the poster who thinks who found an error should show his credentials instead of just saying “in my design”.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
milliCoulomb, charge unit. He confused energy with charge. His charge is 480mC, his energy is 12.2J (Joule). It is good to understand basics, it gives a potential to understand more sophisticated circuit rules.
Thanks I have some reading to do.

laudio

Ever hear of nakamichi power amps? Pa5 pa7.

Top Bottom