• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

DSJR

Major Contributor
European (at least) people wanting to make their own flexible small section cables could do a lot worse than Van Damme Pro-Patch. They (two core plus screen) seem fine for turntable interconnects as regards hum and noise and they should be perfvect for connecting these small lightweight boxes stacked together if length and natural curvature is taken into account. Not sure of Klotz or Mogami make similar (haven't checked) but I'm sure they do.

DSJR

Major Contributor
your dream come true :)
One of the best speakers in the world
Hmm - the original M801 was a goodie but not sure on later N based models.

Paco De Lucia

My 800 Matrixs are like 2 M801 per side, with just one tweeter obvs, it must be terrible only having 2 x 12 inch drivers in total (haha)

ogonex

I am writing about the old B&W 800 model - a higher model than the 801. I do not mean the Nautillus series. See the photo at the previous speaker
I had the opportunity to listen to the Matrix 801 with a friend. I think that 800 will crush everything.

Paco De Lucia

I am writing about the old B&W 800 model - a higher model than the 801. I do not mean the Nautillus series. See the photo at the previous speaker
I had the opportunity to listen to the Matrix 801 with a friend. I think that 800 will crush everything.
I like the Nautilus too, they are a spectacular bit of industrial design, i listened to them a bit as I used to know the designer. I prefer my 800s though )) (just don't tell him) Keeping it on topic, I wish the PA5 had a loudness button )

DSJR

Major Contributor
DO PLEASE forgive my ignorance here. I thought those things were a US borne large room model and had absolutely no idea they were an older B&W 'statement' product :facepalm:

All I can add is that the later version original 801 (after the protection-reset buttons were removed) and the replacement M801 performed really well, so I suspect the 800 as pictured above would be like that but for large rooms?

Paco De Lucia

DO PLEASE forgive my ignorance here. I thought those things were a US borne large room model and had absolutely no idea they were an older B&W 'statement' product :facepalm:

All I can add is that the later version original 801 (after the protection-reset buttons were removed) and the replacement M801 performed really well, so I suspect the 800 as pictured above would be like that but for large rooms?
Yes :) Easy mistake to make, they are pretty unusual and don't really look like B&W apart from the kevlar mids.

ogonex

I like the Nautilus too, they are a spectacular bit of industrial design, i listened to them a bit as I used to know the designer. I prefer my 800s though )) (just don't tell him)
Tell me what about the Kevlar cones of the midrange drivers? Kevlar oxidizes and your 800 are already 30 years old.
note that bulletproof vests are discarded after 10 years.

Digital_Thor

I once tried the B&W Nautilus 800. They need a beast of an amplifier before the bass becomes tight enough to listen to. We tried some huge Marantz mono-block and - if I remember correctly - a Lyngdorf amp. The only thing that made them "sing" was a solid class H amplifier with around 600W in 8 ohm.
But still... it's B&W - so kinda "closed" upper midrange and too much tweeter - to put it in lay mans terms - namely because of the crossover and too big a midrange - IMO.

ogonex

Marantz amplifiers are poor despite my weakness for this company. Absolutely not suitable for the B&W Matrix 800 series.
When I saw the PM66KI Maratnz diagram, I broke down

ogonex

I have not seen a diagram of this and I do not know what is inside. I will not comment, but after dismantling the PM66KI I lost respect for their products. It's better to buy Accuphase for this money. There are no compromises there.

Paco De Lucia

I once tried the B&W Nautilus 800. They need a beast of an amplifier before the bass becomes tight enough to listen to. We tried some huge Marantz mono-block and - if I remember correctly - a Lyngdorf amp. The only thing that made them "sing" was a solid class H amplifier with around 600W in 8 ohm.
But still... it's B&W - so kinda "closed" upper midrange and too much tweeter - to put it in lay mans terms - namely because of the crossover and too big a midrange - IMO.
Yes the Nautilus is much more demanding of amplification than my old 800's which are quite happy with the PA5. These 800's were originally supplied with B&W MPA1 mono blocks (Rotel RMB-100) which have long since died from abuse )) These were the same amps that the designer of the Nautilus used to run them in his front room :)

Last edited:

Paco De Lucia

Tell me what about the Kevlar cones of the midrange drivers? Kevlar oxidizes and your 800 are already 30 years old.
note that bulletproof vests are discarded after 10 years.
OK last reply about my speakers, we have hijacked the thread. The kevlars certainly look less shiny than they did new but no real degradation, but I wouldn't want to hide behind one in a gunfight. I haven't heard this is a real issue with old Bowers and Wilkins.

Digital_Thor

Yes the Nautilus is much more demanding of amplification than my old 800's which are quite happy with the PA5. These 800's were originally supplied with B&W MPA1 mono blocks (Rotel RMB-100) which have long since died from abuse ))
Ok... because it was very clear, that the bass was muddy and dominated everything else - until the beast was connected.... then it sounded much better. I can't remember where - read it in some old article - but I believe that B&W measured way better before Nautilus and used different methods to get those results too.
Yeah... sorry about the hijack.... thought we tried to keep it just slightly on track, by talking about the power capability of the amplifier under different loads :)

ogonex

OK last reply about my speakers, we have hijacked the thread. The kevlars certainly look less shiny than they did new but no real degradation, but I wouldn't want to hide behind one in a gunfight. I haven't heard this is a real issue with old Bowers and Wilkins.
OK -:) Thanks :cool:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
European (at least) people wanting to make their own flexible small section cables could do a lot worse than Van Damme Pro-Patch. They (two core plus screen) seem fine for turntable interconnects as regards hum and noise and they should be perfvect for connecting these small lightweight boxes stacked together if length and natural curvature is taken into account. Not sure of Klotz or Mogami make similar (haven't checked) but I'm sure they do.

Sommer cable Cicada exists in a star quad version even. And it has a really small overall section!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, let's see a 18+19 kHz IMD and we will know. Especially at about -40 dB where actual music content is. Until then it is speculation.
Actual music content at 18-19kHz?

asoka

Hi!
This thread about pa5 developed in an huge one..really huge...
I read a lot of it days after days until my head almost pop out...
I really intended to buy this amp after first reading amir measurements and opinions about it but NOW...now after reading pages after pages...I am totally into deep fog...passed thru several moment in witch almost entered my credit card to buy it and then canceling....with every new thread page read, less I understood.

Please heeelp...is this a really good amp...something surpassing expensive ones or just a freak that pass excellent some measuring without almost any importance for what sound it is delivering?

I need some sound quality clues and real sound describing and quality compared.

Now I have smsl da9 and I have no problem with it...no hiss or anything...sufficient power and really high resolution sound, all spectrum clean and no emphasize to any frequencies...very please with it. I was more satisfied if it has some bass and low mids emphasize but it is what it is.

How this topping pa5 will compare to smsl da9...it is worth to upgrade to it? I have wharfedale linton with better components crossover upgrade...transforming them in very clean and hires speakers even a little edgy now with very crisp and clear highs and heightened mids presence making already smsl da9 to sound extremely clean and airy. What could I gain from this pa5...will notice an real sound improvement deriving from that good measurements?

Thanks!!!

Reactions: UAN
Top Bottom