• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

gamerpaddy

If I have one of these original units that has never been out of the box/hooked up, is there anything to do that would keep it from developing an issue once I put it to use or is it a luck of the draw kind of issue?
you could try removing the potting compound of the module. its not easy, but without it, theres no reason it could fail anymore.
havent tried soaking it in liquids like isoproplyalcohol or acetone, maybe if its sitting in there for a week or two it might dissolve that nasty stuff
otherwise, the old heat and pry with a needle method that takes hours and may damage something is the only way.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I have one of these original units that has never been out of the box/hooked up, is there anything to do that would keep it from developing an issue once I put it to use or is it a luck of the draw kind of issue?
I have a repaired model (repair by Topping), works great but I'm resigned to the fact that it will probably fail sooner rather than later. I'm not confident with a soldering iron so a DIY fix, or removing the potting compound is out for me, plus it really does sound great at the moment.

Presumably you are out of warranty: put some money aside each month for the fatal day and start fantasy shopping ... worst case, it never fails and you have some cash to spend!

Edit: missed the part where you say it's never been used. Plug it in, play music - it's a lovely little amp.
If you feel up to it: @gamerpaddy has a fix.
If it's surplus and still in warranty, Topping might just replace it - worth a shot.
I'd use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: YSC

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
havent tried soaking it in liquids like isoproplyalcohol or acetone, maybe if its sitting in there for a week or two it might dissolve that nasty stuff

IPA won't do anything. Acetone might work, but it's risky. It would probably also begin to delaminate the PCB at some point.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Craftsmanship is not part of the value proposition. You get inexpensive goods that perform quite well, but not for very long. Reminds me of a Solo cup.

alaios

Does it have an auto off and auto on? The idea is to use it as power amplifier so I do not want to adjust volume or turn on or off

gamerpaddy

no it doesnt
but i forget to turn it off almost every time since its so quiet when nothing is playing. its then running for days until i notice it
you could put it on a master-slave outlet where as your preamp is your master and switches the amp when you turn it on.

Reactions: MAB

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I can add myself to the list of folks. Mine, purchased Sept 2022, started popping on Jan 1, 2024.

@gamerpaddy, what's the replacement module fix?

mrmeng430

Earlier last year I started having the crackling sound when I power on this device, but yesterday the crackling sound stopped when I turned it on. I did change power outlet and input cables and speaker cables before yesterday, maybe that's why it helped. Not sure what I did right.

JeffGB

Earlier last year I started having the crackling sound when I power on this device, but yesterday the crackling sound stopped when I turned it on. I did change power outlet and input cables and speaker cables before yesterday, maybe that's why it helped. Not sure what I did right.
While I don't want to minimize the problems some are having with the PA5, I also had noise and crackling start in one channel but I was able to unplug the TRS connections, and clean them with alcohol which, in my case fixed the issue. It seems that, along with the input devices being upset by heat, the noise can also be caused by poor connections.

My PA5 still works fine but I lowered the voltage on it a couple of months after purchase by changing to a 32v power supply. I expect it will eventually die so I use other amps a lot of the time. I'm glad to hear yours is back working properly!

john11

While I don't want to minimize the problems some are having with the PA5, I also had noise and crackling start in one channel but I was able to unplug the TRS connections, and clean them with alcohol which, in my case fixed the issue. It seems that, along with the input devices being upset by heat, the noise can also be caused by poor connections.

My PA5 still works fine but I lowered the voltage on it a couple of months after purchase by changing to a 32v power supply. I expect it will eventually die so I use other amps a lot of the time. I'm glad to hear yours is back working properly!
Would it be possible to lower the voltage of the PA5 II to also increase its longevity. I heard there is a 35 volt regulator on the power rails, so going under 35v may damage the amp

3eaudio

Audio Company
Would it be possible to lower the voltage of the PA5 II to also increase its longevity. I heard there is a 35 volt regulator on the power rails, so going under 35v may damage the amp
if the root cause is by heat, probably you can improve by lower voltage as the original 35V for opamp will reduce heat with lower supply voltage rail

Roland68

Major Contributor
No, that definitely doesn't work.
The small signal range has a regulated power supply that does not change at a lower voltage supply, but can fail or be in an undefined state. In the worst case scenario, damage to the amplifier or speakers could even occur.
Since I own the amplifier myself, I can assure you that this amplifier does not have a heat problem. Furthermore, with an amplifier, and this also applies to devices with TPA325x ICs, a certain level of uniform basic heat is desired.
If you are referring to the well-known failures of topping devices with potted modules, this is not a heat problem.

Top Bottom