• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nonlienearity at frequencies up to 20 kHz create difference intermodulation tones in audio band that are situated at subtraction of two frequencies or more complex in case of more frequencies. You cannot oversimplify the way you did. This amp’s high frequency linearity is poor. It is not true that distortion measurements have to be made only with 20 kHz BW. Lot of poor understanding may be seen in these non professional discussions.
Sure, let's see a 18+19 kHz IMD and we will know. Especially at about -40 dB where actual music content is. Until then it is speculation.

bartgign

Hello

Wich Blutooth DAC with control volume and remote will be a good Option with this PA5 ?

Thanks !

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use the older Topping DX3 Pro (V2, tho not plus). Now available second hand. Very good and I won't be changing unless I start to use an amp with balanced inputs. Modern high quality budget DACs are prolific now. And awesome.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Personally I think that spending that kind of money is overkill for the source in this kind of amp/application situation, but each to their own, I guess.
All good.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nonlienearity at frequencies up to 20 kHz create difference intermodulation tones in audio band that are situated at subtraction of two frequencies or more complex in case of more frequencies. You cannot oversimplify the way you did. This amp’s high frequency linearity is poor. It is not true that distortion measurements have to be made only with 20 kHz BW. Lot of poor understanding may be seen in these non professional discussions.
Doesn't the 32 tone 5W test give a pretty good idea of the impact on in band intermodulation effects? Most of which are at or around -110dB or below. Especially as most of these tones are way higher energy than you'd see in music at those frequencies.

Reactions: EHC

MinMan

That's the thing, these tiny little project box products can't even support a decent bunch of connectors on the back before being pulled off the desk/table/rack and tumbling down the back onto the floor!

Give me real HiFi anyday, stuff that doesn't necessarily come with bits of double sided tape in the box to hold it down. ;)
Isn't that what zip ties are intended for?

Chr1

Forum Donor
Old school big Class A/AB amps definitely require cable ties, bolts and/or welding.
(joke)
Big torroidal transformers will break a toe tho.
I like big stable Watts and can't yet afford the Class Ds that can deliver that presently unfortunately.

(Perhaps second hand in a couple of years tho...)

zanlation

I have read through this forum on the topic of rca to trs cabling and I need some advice. I will be connecting my Topping D50s to the PA5. I have two mono RCA to TS cables for L&R. Will these cables work?

mocenigo

Major Contributor
The PA5 works fine for me as my main system amp. SPL adequate, and no distortion. Size has no bearing. Why build something unnecessarily large for psychological reasons ? (says the man with massive speakers lol sorry)

Well, at least there is a reason for speakers to be large: wide baffle for better linearity and reduction of certain room reflections on the lower end of a transducer’s range, large chambers for loading. Etc. of course most of this could be remedied with digital processing and room correction. But I still think it is better to design each component to need as little correction as possible on its own - within reasonable limits, of course.

Paco De Lucia

ogonex

your dream come true :)
One of the best speakers in the world.
I just don't know if the B&W 800 didn't have ferrofluid in the tweeters. How does it work after all these years? Because I heard that ferrofluid can dry up.

Top Bottom