• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 5.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 95 29.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 60.4%

• Total voters

Grael

Nice amplifier !:)

Now, I wonder how much extra it would cost to have a remote control on this amplifier ? . This performance is so good that its usable outside the desktop, maybe placed in a livingroom.
You can check the TP RA3, basicaly the same as PA5-II (plus) in a rackmount box, with remote control (and sota resistor based attenuation)

And they ship to Sweden, I'm jealous !

Paco De Lucia

I have been running mine for a few weeks, no problem so far. I love my bi amp setup with these little amps. Thanks for such an amazing website Amirm

BeerBear

An electronic/digital volume control would have been nice, for the perfect channel balance and no scratching. Other than that, very good.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice amplifier !:)

Now, I wonder how much extra it would cost to have a remote control on this amplifier ? . This performance is so good that its usable outside the desktop, maybe placed in a livingroom.
pair it with a DAC with remote?

Music1969

Major Contributor
I don't measure that for power amps as it tends to not be much of an issue compared to headphones.

It has a volume pot and we have measurements here by an owner for Topping PA3S showing channel balance issue

so would be great if you can measure it ?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Surprisingly hard to give an objective vote for this after the many, many comments and issues with the first version (disclosure, mine failed, was repaired and good now).
It does look good though (measures well), and it's in expensive company. Nice one, and I'm hopeful on the reliability too

howard416

Does anyone know which chip they are using?

Thanks @amirm for pointing this out. The only audio device I've owned that broke was an amplifier but that was like 30 years back. To me it looks like that the ones from many bigger companies (e.g. Japanese ones) are more reliable these days - or is this just my personal experience?
I believe this uses the TPA3251.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I cast no votes. Clearly it has exceptional measured performance at a great price, but I'll wait a few months to see if it will prove to be a truly reliable product or another flash in the pan. I lambasted Topping both for the failings of the first PA5, but even more for washing its hands of the issue despite admitting the design flaw. I definitely won't be another of the paying beta testers.

Yoku-San

If this proves to be a reliable amp, it could be a part of an interesting entry level combination with the RCA-connected Wiim Pro Plus (for Streaming and integration of optical CD input signal by its DAC), an XLR-connected Phonobox S3B (for balanced turntable connection) and a pair of ELAC DBR62 for about 1000 USD. You can even get this 100 USD cheaper with the IFI Zen Phone which also has a balanced output.

Last edited:

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
What are some recommended ways to integrate a subwoofer that only accepts single-ended inputs (RCA) with the PA5? Would love to know budget options, including others that offer bass management/crossover/PEQ and/or room correction. Only MiniDSP Flex comes to mind.

whyfi

So timely. I was just about to buy a much more expensive amp to run a pair of M16s. After reading this I ordered a plus and it will match nicely with the E50 DAC which I, coincidentally, bought last weekend. Thanks again Amir. This forum has helped me build an amazing 2 channel system for a tiny fraction of what I expected to pay when I started my research.

MCH

Major Contributor
There isn't much discussion about the low gain in balanced (19db) and sensitivity of 2.4 volts. Will it go loud enough if used beyond a desktop system? What do owners say?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Top Bottom