• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 525 65.4%

• Total voters

Aokman

Would anyone say the LA90 offers more gain on XLR vs RCA? Running mine on a Klipsch Heritage DAC with RCA only and basically maxed out the volume now using my custom STAX transformer / converter box (high impedance) but doesn't seem anywhere near distortion?

Contemplating just bitting the bullet and getting the D90 to feed it proper XLR for the desk setup...

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would anyone say the LA90 offers more gain on XLR vs RCA?
The LA90 doesn't have RCA. Only XLR and 1/4" TRS Bal.

Contemplating just bitting the bullet and getting the D90 to feed it proper XLR for the desk setup...
There's no need for such an expensive DAC. The SMSL D-6 or DO100 will give you the same 100% transparent sound and Balanced output as the D90, for a fraction of the price.

Aokman

There's no need for such an expensive DAC. The SMSL D-6 or DO100 will give you the same 100% transparent sound and Balanced output as the D90, for a fraction of the price.

Sorry I meant I was using RCA from my Heritage DAC into unbalanced TRS... More so if there is a significant gain advantage from unbalanced vs balanced XLR...

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry I meant I was using RCA from my Heritage DAC into unbalanced TRS... More so if there is a significant gain advantage from unbalanced vs balanced XLR...
A balanced DAC like the D-6 or DO100 will be 65% louder than your Klipsch DAC, simply because of higher output voltage (4V vs 1.8 on the Klipsch)
The D90SE can even get a bit louder still at 90% louder than the Klipsch (5.25V instead of 1.8).

However, the LA90 doesn't even properly support single ended sources, so I wouldn't be surprised if the gains are even higher still.

Aokman

A balanced DAC like the D-6 or DO100 will be 65% louder than your Klipsch DAC, simply because of higher output voltage (4V vs 1.8 on the Klipsch)
The D90SE can even get a bit louder still at 90% louder than the Klipsch (5.25V instead of 1.8).

However, the LA90 doesn't even properly support single ended sources, so I wouldn't be surprised if the gains are even higher still.

That's all I needed to give another DAC a go as I love the LA90 otherwise... I'll check out those recommendations and see what's available locally... Many thanks :)

DrDen

That's all I needed to give another DAC a go as I love the LA90 otherwise... I'll check out those recommendations and see what's available locally... Many thanks :)
My current DAC is Audiobyte Hydra Vox, 3,8V at 0db output both XLR and RCA. LA90 in low gain. Volume control remotely on DAC -12 — -20db. I like the sound much more than with Gustard X26Pro (5V at 0db, listened at -20 — -30db).

DrDen

IMHO D90 is not too expensive for this amp. It’s just good enough.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@guddu @DrDen My bad. I saw this listing on AliExpress and failed to look further into it:
Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 17.27.16.png
If you click on it, you see that it's the DA-9 that goes for $250. Not the SU-9 Pro.

The least expensive DAC with 5Vrms output seems to be the E70 at $350 (sometimes $300).

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@guddu @DrDen My bad. I saw this listing on AliExpress and failed to look further into it:
View attachment 280240
If you click on it, you see that it's the DA-9 that goes for $250. Not the SU-9 Pro.

The least expensive DAC with 5Vrms output seems to be the E70 at $350 (sometimes $300).
No problem.
For a moment I decided to spend 250$ so quickly

PeteL

Major Contributor

What's make this amp not support unbalanced source? beside lower voltage but you seem to suggest something else. If so it's a real problem, It is not rocket science and with proper wiring I have never seen an amp that would discriminate an unbalanced source.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What's make this amp not support unbalanced source?
"Supported" to me means tested and validated by the manufacturer.
Afaik that's not the case for the LA90. All inputs are strictly Bal and all marketing material shows strictly Bal sources being used with the LA90.

Aokman

I ended up with the SMSL SU-9 Pro and fits the stack nicely anyways, put that saved money towards my STAX X9000 budget hahaha.

It's louder obviously, nothing crazy like double the loudness or anything but enough for my STAX transformer box now being high impedance... Thanks! :)

Snix

I support this 100%.
I am currently using DX7 Pro and D-6 with 2xLA90D, can't tell the difference.
Also, heard the D90 with LA90(non-D), to be completely honest, also couldn't tell the diff lol.

At one point, I think you just buy a decent DAC that fits your usages (inputs, outputs, bells and whistles) and call it a day.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Abe_W

Compared to the PA5, I guess it’s just for those that want the bragging rights, otherwise I‘d go PA5.
If i gave you 800 dollars for free, would you still claim it is just for "bragging rights" and go with the "non-braggart" PA5, or go with the LA90 instead?
We all know the answer. :)

Wallet restrictions can make a guy say all kinds of things on a forum that he doesn't mean, irrespective of what he's thinking deep down. "Audio Science" takes a backseat when the wallet comes in play, doesn't it? ;)

Top Bottom