• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 525 65.4%

• Total voters

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestion, but nope tried all that.

Short press should turn it on.

When on, short press cycles through inputs 1, 2 and 3.

Long press only turns it off when it's on.

When it's on, it stays on and it hasn't shut down on me while using it.
That's how the Pre90 works, too.

jjmanda

That's how the Pre90 works, too.
I've had my pre90 for 6 months now and it's worked perfectly so far and turns on and off just like you would expect it to.
I sent email to Topping and APOS. Waiting on response. Evidently there is some holiday and Topping is away until 5/5.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You may need to hold the button a little longer for on/off.
Maybe this button works like this:
long press - on
short press - change of input
long press - off
That’s what has been said on this thread earlier.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What worries me the most is its ability in monoblock mode to handle lower impedance in the speakers.
Please read the additional tests on the review. It handles low impedance loads with no issues.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I like to hear from the 23 members who voted poor. What was their criteria? I’m sure Topping will benefit hearing from them.

formula 977

It handles low impedance loads with no issues.
It reaches thermal limits at 20hz/4 ohms/2 ch. These are normal test conditions met by, probably, every other amp reviewed on the site.
The PA5 is twice the amp at half the price.

sonci99

I like to hear from the 23 members who voted poor. What was their criteria? I’m sure Topping will benefit hearing from them.
Ugly, no unbalanced input, only 2 inputs, small form factor, no remote, too expensive for a chinese no name amplifier that will be impossible to sell used..

raest

i'm one of those: it's a worse amp than the PA5 (among a plethora of others) in nearly every way except those inaudible, at well over twice the price. this is a consumer product, so price is a crucial factor.

this makes it, in my opinion, a poor product (that will sound exactly the same as any other decently measuring amp without some awful problem... why are folks here suddenly accepting purely subjective "this sounds better than x" with no basis in anything? just browse some of the comparison blind test videos, and the criteria demanded by this community is usually several orders of mangitude more stringent. as it should be), just like all the other products with similar problems (just to pre-empt the n-th person with the "buh buh there are lots of others poor products which cost more!" non-argument)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
i'm one of those: it's a worse amp than the PA5 (among a plethora of others) in nearly every way except those inaudible, at well over twice the price. this is a consumer product, so price is a crucial factor.

this makes it, in my opinion, a poor product (that will sound exactly the same as any other decently measuring amp without some awful problem... why are folks here suddenly accepting purely subjective "this sounds better than x" with no basis in anything? just browse some of the comparison blind test videos, and the criteria demanded by this community is usually several orders of mangitude more stringent. as it should be), just like all the other products with similar problems (just to pre-empt the n-th person with the "buh buh there are lots of others poor products which cost more!" non-argument)
So your reasoning is only the price.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjective but it’s your decision. Though it doesn’t follow the spirit of the vote.
no unbalanced input,
Every balanced input accepts unbalanced. It’s about the cable you use. However the opposite is not true. Is giving you an extra facility a poor choice?
only 2 inputs,
It has 3 inputs
small form factor, no remote,
Are those enough reasons for it to be poor? Quite a number of amplifiers on the market would be poor according to you.
too expensive for a chinese no name amplifier that will be impossible to sell used..
That I understand but then again it means you will vote poor for all Chinese amplifiers. Correct?

PeteL

Major Contributor
I voted not terrible. Main criteria is the whopping 22 bucks per watt pricing. At this price it got to be flawless. Qc control issues like we can read just a few post up may get a pass on an amp priced democratically but not way up there like that. The rest of the reasons are I'll admit more steared toward what I need personally of an amplifier, This has too low power for me, to low of a gain, can't really tell if it's an integrated since it's lacking so many of the essential features and don't really have a preamp stage, but as a pure power amp you get extra inputs and volume control that I can't find a use for if you need a preamp anyway if you need sub integration, less discrimination in compatibility with various sources, etc. I think it's a great amp if all you need is a Balanced DAC on a desktop with desktop speakers, and no subs. But it's very expensive if this is the use case you are after. Especially with so many great powered speakers solutions that give you hi fidelity for less than that without external amps to take desk space for a total price of the speaker/amp combo still under this for amp only..

Last edited:

kiyu

First few hours of use, I find the amp exceptional with clarity and detail.
Ample enough power for my personal requirements.

Only thing I notice is the power on/off switch operation is very suspect.

At first, it would not power on properly and the input 1 indicator light would blink.
Then after several attempts of unplugging and plugging back in the power supply, it would power on.
Then without interrupting the power supply from the outlet, it would power on via the front switch but immediately power off and finally stay on after 2-3 attempts.
Last few times though, it powered on okay on the first attempt.
Once it's powered on, it will cycle through the inputs and power off okay.
Very strange and in my opinion, not normal.

I think you should report that to topping.

That doesn't sound like normal behavior, and you are still on time to return it for free and get a replacement.

not related to that topic I read that you have the Satori Ara, I haven't heard them, but I read that they are quite better than Ls50meta.. Ara must be a delightful set of speakers

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted not terrible. Main criteria is the whopping 22 bucks per watt pricing.
According to @amirm this is a 192W amplifier. It makes it $4.2 per watt. Even in stereo it’s 2x50W I.e. 100W amplifier, which is $8 per watt

PeteL

Major Contributor
According to @amirm this is a 192W amplifier. It makes it $4.2 per watt. Even in stereo it’s 2x50W I.e. 100W amplifier, which is $8 per watt
OK, yeah there are no firm rules, I should have specified watts per channels into 8 ohms in 2 channels configuratrion. This is bended I know, but in general slang, it is often what we commonly call "A 36 watts amp" even tough I accept the inaccuracy of saying that. I don't mind your metric neither, yes it make sense, but either way you put it, It's not competitive regardless how you chose to do the math.

raest

So your reasoning is only the price.
no. price, performance (newsflash: sinad several decibels beyond audibility is not the only relevant performance metric for an amplifier), features. it's a poor product with real compromises (poor power, inefficiency, not great with complex loads, not quite small not really big etc etc) made in the name of inaudible "performance". you buy this for bragging rights, so that you can slap a "i don't know what sinad is, so i bought the highest sinad amp" sticker on your forehead, just like most of the audiofool snake oil (except this has pretty graphs)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
no. price, performance (newsflash: sinad several decibels beyond audibility is not the only relevant performance metric for an amplifier), features. it's a poor product with real compromises (poor power, inefficiency, not great with complex loads, not quite small not really big etc etc) made in the name of inaudible "performance". you buy this for bragging rights, so that you can slap a "i don't know what sinad is, so i bought the highest sinad amp" sticker on your forehead, just like most of the audiofool snake oil (except this has pretty graphs)
I am sorry. I was naïve in expecting a logical reply. Bye.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't mind your metric neither, yes it make sense, but either way you put it, It's not competitive regardless how you chose to do the math.
The Benchmark AHB2 costs $3500. It is a 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms amplifier, which calculates as $35 per wat as per your calculation. The Topping LA90 calculates as 60% better than Benchmark, which is an amplifier in perpetual backorder? Why do you think this amplifier is not competitive?

Last edited:

jjmanda

I think you should report that to topping.

That doesn't sound like normal behavior, and you are still on time to return it for free and get a replacement.

not related to that topic I read that you have the Satori Ara, I haven't heard them, but I read that they are quite better than Ls50meta.. Ara must be a delightful set of speakers
No response directly from Topping other than an automated response stating out until May 5th.

Apos just responded and said they will issue an RMA.

It's a shame though because if the power output fits your needs and if the build quality and QC was there, it is a very nice performing amp.

Yes, I enjoy the Ara's very much :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom