• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 194 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 525 65.3%

• Total voters

jjmanda

So I just received my LA90.

At first, would not operate.

Input 1 light would blink and no response from the power button.

Then, randomly worked after I did nothing but power down and up a few times.

So weird.

Vini darko

Major Contributor

So weird.
Glad its started working. Was just answering your original post when it dissapeared.

aravena562

So weird.
@jjmanda and how about the sound? what amp did you use before? notice audible difference?

jjmanda

@jjmanda and how about the sound? what amp did you use before? notice audible difference?

I have pair of NAD 2155's running in L/R bridged mono setup for about 150wpc. These were both upgraded by Peter Williams at Quirk Audio.
He does great work by the way!

I next put in a PA5 to try out. PA5 sounds good and I've not had any issues with it so far.
Better than the NAD 2155's? I don't know, I'm still pretty partial to the 2155's :)

So far, first few minutes with LA90 does sound darn good. I don't require a whole lot of power and volume to enjoy my music.

Whether I think it's worth $900 vs. $350 for the PA5, too early for my opinion on that. I'll have to listen more.

aravena562

I have pair of NAD 2155's running in L/R bridged mono setup for about 150wpc. These were both upgraded by Peter Williams at Quirk Audio.
He does great work by the way!

I next put in a PA5 to try out. PA5 sounds good and I've not had any issues with it so far.
Better than the NAD 2155's? I don't know, I'm still pretty partial to the 2155's :)

So far, first few minutes with LA90 does sound darn good. I don't require a whole lot of power and volume to enjoy my music.

Whether I think it's worth $900 vs. $350 for the PA5, too early for my opinion on that. I'll have to listen more.
Thanks @jjmanda wich speakers do you use?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just curious. Isn’t that allowed? :rolleyes:
You know it is, it's just that @Ingenieur runs a bit hot as of recently.

I would recommend to him to eat some icecream and enjoying a day in the park, but it would melt before touching his tongue and he would just jog around the park and be back in 5 minutes to keep distributing critical hits.

I know, I just think that’s stuff that should be apparent after reading a review, not from reading through answers in the thread. The reviews are focussed way to much on the measurements and not on functionality.
Fair enough. I personally think we don't see enough measurements.
Amir will do his thing and ignore us both ;-).

Currently, in my bedroom, I have an UNannoying Denon PMA600NE, which does all this in one box, that I paid $400 for, shipped free. (But it doesn't have 125 dB SINAD. Whatever it does have, I can't hear it at SPLs of 75 dB.) :)
You have been fleeced, could have bought a Yamaha A-S301, which does all that, for less.;)

Clearly, the buyer of highly optimized, japanese designed integrated amps in the budget class is not this devices main customer. I get it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no problem with the conclusions. I do have issues with the use-case for a 40 WPC, $800 amp that still needs a DAC and likely a phono preamp, and probably a headphone amp. So, you're on your way to an $800 + $250 DAC + $250 phono pre + $250 hp amp for a system suitable for a small office, bedroom, or den.
Maybe add another $50 for a sign that says "125 dB SINAD!" to place on top of all these for justification?

Currently, in my bedroom, I have an UNannoying Denon PMA600NE, which does all this in one box, that I paid $400 for, shipped free. (But it doesn't have 125 dB SINAD. Whatever it does have, I can't hear it at SPLs of 75 dB.) :)
Decades ago, I worked for a chief engineer whose motto was, "Engineering landmarks usually work out to be market tombstones."
I found that to be consistently wise.
Another of his sayings was, "I don't care if it does DC to light. Can we sell it and make money with it?"

He had one more adage that was more truth than fiction: "Nowadays, most digital engineers think that a ten-foot length of #24 wire has a resistance of zero."
I think I'd have liked your chief engineer.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I would recommend to him to eat some icecream and enjoying a day in the park, but it would melt before touching his tongue and he would just jog around the park and be back in 5 minutes to keep distributing critical hits.

You have been fleeced, could have bought a Yamaha A-S301, which does all that, for less.;)

Clearly, the buyer of highly optimized, japanese designed integrated amps in the budget class is not this devices main customer. I get it.
POTD.

:D

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I quarter no BS.
I like ice cream, who doesn't?
Cherry Garcia ;)
You do not know me, so defining my emotional state is not germane, nor helpful, so please refrain.

Read my posts in this thread. I'm about the only one not ripping the review, Amir and the LA90 apart.

They put effort into the review and product.
Costs us nothing. But we tear into them.
I do not understand the tendency to negativity and proclivity to demean.

We are not getting paid to critique or perform market analysis.

If one does not like something, move on, don't waste time telling everyone why.
It's tedious.

Folks comment 'I don't see the rationale for this product'. One could say I don't see the rationale for 50+ audio websites repeating the same tropes over ad nauseam for a leisure activity that supposedly is done for enjoyment.

How much music do forum members actually listen to? My guess, a lot less than the time spent complaining about the quality of connectors. Lol

On tap for tonight
A314C7A6-F87C-481B-A3AA-07F34C6148DB.jpeg

Last edited:

raest

Its amazing to me that one can spend more money on a traditional a/b amp with similar power and people accept it... an example is the Audiolab 6000... or one can dabble in tube or class A amps with very modest power and again, people accept it.
they really don't, they're being criticized and talked down on a regular basis for spending money on overpriced scams, overpriced demonstrably poorly performing gear, or overpriced gear with no audible benefit compared to the competition.

the LA90 is the latter, so congrats to Topping for finally entering the proper hi-fi world and properly pleasing audiophiles worldwide.

But someone focusses on breaking records with the caveat that it only has 50w and its fairly reasonably priced and the manufacturer gets lambasted for it.

To me this is a first stepping stone to things better. Maybe they will do a 75w next... and then a 120w... small steps. You dont have to buy this.

If this feat were so easy how come conventional manufactuers have not acheieved it yet.
it's getting lambasted by a few people (me included) for the same reason the boutique stuff is getting lambasted: you're overpaying for meaningless, inaudible stuff. plus, considering this is the same designer who gave us the PA5, i wouldn't blame anyone for being extremely sceptical about the reliability of this amp in the quest for pointlessly inaudible sinad levels

but this amp has pretty graphs for parameters already beyond audibility and a very very narrow use-case... so it's "the best amp in the world"

in what way is that better or smarter or what have you behaviour than spending thousands on better audio cables for no audible gain?

incredible how many people around here don't understand this and are defending a more expensive product with no audible gain (unless your audio listening sessions revolve around listening test tones and putting your ear next to your tweeter at max volume for "fun" because music is too boring, or something) over the competition (it is in fact audibly worse than the competition, as it will reach clipping significantly sooner)

is this a great engineering achievement? i honestly don't know, because if it is as compromised as the PA5, then no, because sacrificing reliability for performance in consumer products is the exact opposite of great engineering. as people around here like car analogies: this is the RX8 of the audio world.

i'll end this with a quote from a certain reviewer from 3 years ago:

"My issue there is the 50 watt rating for a $1000 device. That is just not enough power for a product in this category."
If one does not like something, move on, don't waste time telling everyone why.
It's tedious.
we should probably tell that to Amir: please no more negative reviews, just move on and don't waste time telling us why. it's tedious... so has proclaimed the great Ingenieur. you should also stop posting reviews of amps and headphones and stuff, because you haven't designed and built a better amp or headphones or stuff... so says the great Ingenieur. no negative thoughts if you can't build it better

Slayer

Read my posts in this thread. I'm about the only one not ripping the review, Amir and the LA90 apart.
Wrong, most who have posted in regard to this review, have been overwhelmingly positive.
No one is ripping Amir or the LA90 apart. Only pointing out they wished for more power, which you seem to take some personal offense to.
We are not getting paid to critique or perform market analysis.
No one asked you to. I think most if not all here appreciate the work Amir does when taking the time and effort to make these reviews.
You on the other hand, still do not seem to recognize you come off as being somewhat condescending to those making post's which you find fault with.
How much music do forum members actually listen to? My guess, a lot less than the time spent complaining about the quality of connectors.
This, is hilarious, coming from the individual who has made this thread his life's mission for confrontations with forum members.
You were given a subtle hint earlier, just take a chill pill and relax a little.

Ingenieur

Wrong, most who have posted in regard to this review, have been overwhelmingly positive.
No one is ripping Amir or the LA90 apart. Only pointing out they wished for more power, which you seem to take some personal offense to.

No one asked you to. I think most if not all here appreciate the work Amir does when taking the time and effort to make these reviews.
You on the other hand, still do not seem to recognize you come off as being somewhat condescending to those making post's which you find fault with.

This, is hilarious, coming from the individual who has made this thread his life's mission for confrontations with forum members.
You were given a subtle hint earlier, just take a chill pill and relax a little.
Wrong
The most vocal are the negative

Calling someone condescending IS condescending. Keep your preaching to yourself.

What is 'hilarious' is your attempt to counsel me. Life's mission? At least I have one, you should get one rather than pontificate on that of others.
I won't be subtle, you seem angry and emotional, relax, don't blow a gasket over a chat room.

Ingenieur

they really don't, they're being criticized and talked down on a regular basis for spending money on overpriced scams, overpriced demonstrably poorly performing gear, or overpriced gear with no audible benefit compared to the competition.

the LA90 is the latter, so congrats to Topping for finally entering the proper hi-fi world and properly pleasing audiophiles worldwide.

it's getting lambasted by a few people (me included) for the same reason the boutique stuff is getting lambasted: you're overpaying for meaningless, inaudible stuff. plus, considering this is the same designer who gave us the PA5, i wouldn't blame anyone for being extremely sceptical about the reliability of this amp in the quest for pointlessly inaudible sinad levels

but this amp has pretty graphs for parameters already beyond audibility and a very very narrow use-case... so it's "the best amp in the world"

in what way is that better or smarter or what have you behaviour than spending thousands on better audio cables for no audible gain?

incredible how many people around here don't understand this and are defending a more expensive product with no audible gain (unless your audio listening sessions revolve around listening test tones and putting your ear next to your tweeter at max volume for "fun" because music is too boring, or something) over the competition (it is in fact audibly worse than the competition, as it will reach clipping significantly sooner)

is this a great engineering achievement? i honestly don't know, because if it is as compromised as the PA5, then no, because sacrificing reliability for performance in consumer products is the exact opposite of great engineering. as people around here like car analogies: this is the RX8 of the audio world.

i'll end this with a quote from a certain reviewer from 3 years ago:

"My issue there is the 50 watt rating for a $1000 device. That is just not enough power for a product in this category."

we should probably tell that to Amir: please no more negative reviews, just move on and don't waste time telling us why. it's tedious... so has proclaimed the great Ingenieur. you should also stop posting reviews of amps and headphones and stuff, because you haven't designed and built a better amp or headphones or stuff... so says the great Ingenieur. no negative thoughts if you can't build it better
The folks who whine the most never contribute a dime to the effort.

Speak less, think more.
You are not qualified to judge engineering accomplishment.
Neither am I in this area, but I know enough when I see others in the same boat spouting BS to call it out.

The difference: Amir has actually handled and tested the gear before opining.
We haven't heard, tested it nor even smelled it. Yet we comment.

Some chestnuts
-No external devices other than DAC's will drive this, yet no back-up, other than what I showed that will
-A phono amp with a gain of 78x and a cartridge rated at 4 mV will never exceed 320 mV. Yet I posted measurements proving otherwise, including my own showing >2 V.

Last edited:

Slayer

Wrong
The most vocal are the negative

Calling someone condescending IS condescending. Keep your preaching to yourself.

What is 'hilarious' is your attempt to counsel me. Life's mission? At least I have one, you should get one rather than pontificate on that of others.
I won't be subtle, you seem angry and emotional, relax, don't blow a gasket over a chat room.
The folks who whine the most never contribute a dime to the effort.

Speak less, think more.
You are not qualified to judge engineering accomplishment.
Neither am I in this area, but I know enough when I see others in the same boat spouting BS to call it out.
Thanks, you just keep proving my prior statement. But, i'm not here to argue. Whether you believe it or not, I hold no ill will towards you. My attempt was only in hopes of you seeing the bigger picture in regards to your treatment of members on this forum. Giving you a heads up so to speak, so you can try and maintain a little dignity.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And I don't use back-handed passive aggressive methods to attack others.

Am I the only one amused that this was embedded in a post containing exactly 93.57% passive aggression? (53.57 percent of which is the "peace" at the end.) :cool:

Last edited:

Ingenieur

You had a point?
I have 0 emotional connection, null, why would I? Are you trying to hurt my feelings? Correct me? I take it for what it is. Bloviation, meaningless in my 'real' world.

Maintain dignity?
I do not rely on others, especially your type, for validation.
At least I have some to start with.
And I don't use back-handed passive aggressive methods to attack others.
I do not rely on my chat room posts to build character or dignity.
That is your major malfunction, your life must be devoid of meaning, so this chit chat must be significant in your world.
Relax, you do you, I'll do me.
Keep your advice to yourself, you need it more than I do, and it's worthless to begin with.
Peace

Am I the only one amused that this was embedded in a post containing exactly 93.57% passive aggression? (53.57 percent of which is the "peace" at the end.)

Seems pretty direct? Nothing passive about it. ;)

93.57% + 53.57 percent > 100% ???
That may be considered 'passive' :D

Top Bottom