• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

CauliflowerEars

I received an E50 for another room and took the opportunity to test both side by side, with same cables, power, sources. Yes, I hear a difference, but very subtle, far from the way it has been put. I would say that the E30-II produces a flatter signal, but both have great musicality and the same performance, as expected. I also have an iFi DAC with a hybrid multibit chip and the difference is more noticeable. It doesn’t measure very well, but both E30-II and E50 may sound overly revealing to some people when compared to that one.

View attachment 280539
EDIT: This site is at the top in searches and my goal was to help common people not to make a mistake by comparisons of the same products, without reference to a third one. The others do better by ignoring this.
Thank you, good to have it confirmed. What did you use as the source?
I think one of the differences might be that Tidal HiFi serves the same MQA files as HiFi Plus (with MQA/Master), but of lesser quality and without some of the MQA data. Maybe the e50 is better at playing those (since it can fully decode MQA), hence fuller.

Anderlfs

Thank you, good to have it confirmed. What did you use as the source?
I think one of the differences might be that Tidal HiFi serves the same MQA files as HiFi Plus (with MQA/Master), but of lesser quality and without some of the MQA data. Maybe the e50 is better at playing those (since it can fully decode MQA), hence fuller.
Hi, I used flac files I created myself and I’m familiar with, but also Qobuz Hi-Res, poorly mastered music and vinyl rips full of noise, mostly through headphones. I think you’re right about mqa sources, I also tested the tracks you posted.

CauliflowerEars

Hi, I used flac files I created myself and I’m familiar with, but also Qobuz Hi-Res, poorly mastered music and vinyl rips full of noise, mostly through headphones. I think you’re right about mqa sources, I also tested the tracks you posted.
Ah, very interesting. And the e50 was fuller on the same FLAC files? Could you maybe describe some differences?
Did you hear some of the differences I have mentioned with my tracks?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To any newbies reading this thread, don't get sucked into this DAC comparison conversation that's happening on this last couple of pages, it's not real and relevant.

ThatGuyYouKnow

To any newbies reading this thread, don't get sucked into this DAC comparison conversation that's happening on this last couple of pages, it's not real and relevant.
You mean to tell me that one of the DACs does not go the extra mile to find and retrieve that extra bit of detail, like someone finding a product in the backroom that's not listed in inventory? I am disappointed.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean to tell me that one of the DACs does not go the extra mile to find and retrieve that extra bit of detail, like someone finding a product in the backroom that's not listed in inventory? I am disappointed.
Ha, something like that!

audiofun

I just opened up my E30 II, and it sure looks like an AK4118AEQ in it, attached photos.

The Cirrus Logic CS8416 and ONSemi LC89091 look totally different, shapes, pins etc.

Picture of AK4118AEQ:
48-LQFP.jpg

Inside my E30 II, delivered a few days ago.

View attachment 270641

For references, no issues of any kind thus far, using optical/toslink in.

XMOS chip is XU208-128-TQ64-C10 marked u30870c10

Surely it is not AK4118AEQ. You can grab a spec sheet and can easily verify the circuit does not match.

The chip is a LC89058W from SANYO, as I said earlier. I don't understand why topping regard this as trade secret but it is easy to find info on the internet.

Just search "48-pin audio chip" on Google and you'll see very limited answers, which includes LC89055W.

Last edited:

frki16

got e30 ii from service and guy said it was something with internal power supply, fixed immediately and now working fine

macmacmacmac

Hi everyone,

I have a question about my Topping E30 II.
I have a bluesound Node X connected to the DAC via COAX,
From the DAC, I go into my Marantz Cinema 40 via Cinch.

All works well. Except:

I can't get the E30 to go into stand-by. No matter the Auto Setting (A-0 or A-C). It won't turn off when I pause a song on Bluesound Node or close the App. I use this in DAC mode.

Any idea how to fix this?

EDIT: I've pinpointed the problem to the Bluesound Node. The Node doesn't go into sleep mode and the input on the DAC shows COAX and therefore, stays on.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi everyone,

I have a question about my Topping E30 II.
I have a bluesound Node X connected to the DAC via COAX,
From the DAC, I go into my Marantz Cinema 40 via Cinch.

All works well. Except:

I can't get the E30 to go into stand-by. No matter the Auto Setting (A-0 or A-C). It won't turn off when I pause a song on Bluesound Node or close the App. I use this in DAC mode.

Any idea how to fix this?

EDIT: I've pinpointed the problem to the Bluesound Node. The Node doesn't go into sleep mode and the input on the DAC shows COAX and therefore, stays on.
The E30ll will sleep after a period of time when the input signal is disconnected. And when the signal is input again, it will wake automatically. (Synchronizes only the selected input signal)
However, if you operate the power button on the main unit and the remote control to put it to sleep, it will not wake up in sync with the input signal after that.
To ensure that it wakes next time, it must be automatically put to sleep.

macmacmacmac

I know, the Bluesound Node apparently doesn't send the digital outputs to sleep unless I go into "vacation mode" with it (long-press the power button) which is not advised by Bluesound.

I have no fix for this

Mariu$

Hello
Can someone confirm that the factory reset sequence works? I just got the DAC and it does absolutely nothing

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-20 132941.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-20 132941.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 67

Toku

Major Contributor
Hello
Can someone confirm that the factory reset sequence works? I just got the DAC and it does absolutely nothing
You can do a factory reset by following the instructions in the manual. (confirmed on my E30 ll)

Attachments

• E30 ll F-Reset.jpg
    E30 ll F-Reset.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 105

macmacmacmac

Fixed my issue with the Standby.
The Bluesound Node X doesnt go into stand by and the digital ports are active all the time. That's why the node doesn't go to stand by.

The Node X has a new DAC (ESS Sabre) and competing witht he Topping E30 II, the DAC of the Node X wins for me. So, I unplugged the E30 II, not needing it anymore.

notsodeadlizard

It's just unbelievable :)
How did the Lenbrook Group ( https://lenbrook.com/ ) manage to win against the incomprehensible Chinese cooperative?

Actually, on the destruction of trust in deservedly eminent manufacturers, the strategy "to shift the volume of orders towards cheap boxes - ruin the manufacturers - buy them cheap" is built.
And it is very good that it does not work in full yet.

Veri

Master Contributor
It's just unbelievable :)
How did the Lenbrook Group ( https://lenbrook.com/ ) manage to win against the incomprehensible Chinese cooperative?

Actually, on the destruction of trust in deservedly eminent manufacturers, the strategy "to shift the volume of orders towards cheap boxes - ruin the manufacturers - buy them cheap" is built.
And it is very good that it does not work in full yet.
Huuuuh?

HappyMetalGuy

Fixed my issue with the Standby.
The Bluesound Node X doesnt go into stand by and the digital ports are active all the time. That's why the node doesn't go to stand by.

The Node X has a new DAC (ESS Sabre) and competing witht he Topping E30 II, the DAC of the Node X wins for me. So, I unplugged the E30 II, not needing it anymore.
I was questioning myself why would you use topping e30 II instead of the node x!!! Well done.

Top Bottom