• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II Lite DAC review and measurements

Rate this DAC

• 1. Poor

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 3. Fine

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • 4. Great

Votes: 52 66.7%

• Total voters
OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Latest firmware version to date (2024-03-19) is 2.05
Here

NB: For E30 II Lite only
NOT for E30 II

OP
R

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a difference between my filters naming and what one read in the manual.
All filters seem to be shifted one position.
Maybe I didn't interpret the display correctly.

DOuG pRATt

There is a difference between my filters naming and what one read in the manual.
All filters seem to be shifted one position.
Maybe I didn't interpret the display correctly.
Topping seems to be as careful with details as I was with that incorrect link. ;-)

zygomorph

For less than I paid a few years ago for a Hifiberry DAC2, measured and perceived performance of this unit are better.

I first became aware of the limitations of the Hifiberry when I was A/B'ing between my turntable and the same material played digitally. I do this just to roughly confirm that my turntable is set up reasonably well -- assuming that the digital source will have less distortion. To my surprise, certain loud, high-energy sections were showing up cleaner from the vinyl vs digital. Then I found the ASR bench tests confirming the somewhat poor performance of this DAC. Anyway, lowering the (digital?) preamp stage by 10dB got it mostly under control.

By contrast, the Topping has a more relaxed/effortless sound (I assume this is because it has less distortion). Additionally, unlike the Hifiberry, it does not POP when changing sampling rates (I stream from my own library that has many different formats that I often mix and match). This is an extremely pleasing revelation.

I must say that I don't know why they set the default FIR filter as they do. It has quite a pronounced high frequency roll-off, so I was somewhat horrified at first by the relatively congested, dull sound and constricted sound-stage. Maybe most people's systems have a much more exciting high end than my aggressively mid-fi agglomeration of components from the late 70s to the mid 80s. Switching to F-6 (sharp roll-off, with the flattest response up to 22kHz) restored my confidence in the unit, and matches my general expectations for accurate sound reproduction regardless of the reproduction medium.

I like it! I'll be connecting a new TV to it in a few days, via the Toslink input. It's unlikely I'll be able to detect the increased jitter reported here, but even if I can, I think it'll probably be acceptable enough for my rather casual TV viewing purposes.

zygomorph

I also wanted to add that powering it directly from the USB port on my Raspberry Pi 4 (into the barrel connector, as it wouldn't power on from the USB3 connection from the Pi alone) resulted in an unacceptable noisy whine. Plugging it into one of the switched outlets on the back of my preamp with a Motorola charger I had laying around resolved the whine.

It wasn't clear to me what would be included in the box, but you should know that it does come with both a USB connector as well as a USB to barrel connector for power. It does NOT come with a charger/power supply.

Purity86

Hi, in the past few weeks, my SMSL su-6 has had an issue (glitchy sound) via all outputs, so I ordered E30 II lite, this is not the main point, the main point is the loudness of the new DAC compared to the SU-6.
Connection: Sony TV > Optical > E30 II lite > JBL active speakers (nearly max out volume nob).
with SU-6 when the volume is around -40db it's very saturated and loud
with E30 II lite -28db being the sweet spot of the loudness.
why there is a massive difference in loudness between the two?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi, in the past few weeks, my SMSL su-6 has had an issue (glitchy sound) via all outputs, so I ordered E30 II lite, this is not the main point, the main point is the loudness of the new DAC compared to the SU-6.
Connection: Sony TV > Optical > E30 II lite > JBL active speakers (nearly max out volume nob).
with SU-6 when the volume is around -40db it's very saturated and loud
with E30 II lite -28db being the sweet spot of the loudness.
why there is a massive difference in loudness between the two?
I don't know why one DAC would be quieter than the other.
Given the same input signal and volume setting, there's no reason why one would be louder.

Try using a regular old multimeter to measure the output voltage of each DAC when playing a 60Hz 0dBFS test tone (attached below).

To do that, simply probe the other end of the RCA cable which is plugged into the DAC:
81T417.png

Set the player to loop the test tone, use Wasapi Exclusive or ASIO output, and don't plug anything into the DAC's outputs (except the RCA cable and meter).

Attachments

• Sine_60_0_dBFS_44k_PCM16_01.flac (3).zip
    331.9 KB · Views: 6

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both DACS should be able to put out just over 2V.

If they are doing, then the volume from each will be the same.

There is a preamp mode on the E30? Have you enabled it and turned down the output?

DOuG pRATt

Both DACS should be able to put out just over 2V.

If they are doing, then the volume from each will be the same.

There is a preamp mode on the E30? Have you enabled it and turned down the output?
That's what I'm thinking. Out of the box it's in preamp mode. Switching it to pure DAC, the way mine is set, would probably bring up the loudness. Or turn up the preamp volume, of course.

Top Bottom