• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yeah, absolute great chip the NODE X is using. ESS Sabre.
Next thing I'll do is hook up two mono power amps and I'm happy
That makes no sense. ESS is just a company that makes DAC chips. They make tons of DAC chips, some of which are SOTA and others that are not especially with how performance has increased in the last years.
So I am not sure what this even has to do with the topic?
I was questioning myself why would you use topping e30 II instead of the node x!!! Well done.
Why would you use a DAC that is 5x more with no audible performance difference at all? The NodeX won't be better than the Topping; in fact it might be worse.
DAC Chip doesn't determine performance as this site has shown so many times.
Why compare with a product that costs more than 5 times more than the E30 ll?
Their entire "conversation" makes literally 0 sense at all as the E30 II has already SOTA performance so NO OTHER DAC would offer any sonic benefit. Therefore it would need to be based around the additional features offered that someone needed/wanted in order to justify paying more.

alvigg

Don't know if this is discussed before. I just got this DAC and have a weird issue. I attach an iPad through USB. I play an Apple Music Atmos track, it registers 44kHz. I then play something I know is in hi-res and see 192 kHz. I go back to the atmos track and it now registers 192kHz. Any ideas what is happening?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Don't know if this is discussed before. I just got this DAC and have a weird issue. I attach an iPad through USB. I play an Apple Music Atmos track, it registers 44kHz. I then play something I know is in hi-res and see 192 kHz. I go back to the atmos track and it now registers 192kHz. Any ideas what is happening?
Do you have another DAC with sample rate display to try and see if it's the DAC not registering sample rate correctly, or your iPad not delivering the music correctly via USB?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
I attach an iPad through USB
Are you using the Apple’s Lightning to USB camera adapter? I’m using it on an iPhone 11 (iOS 16.5.1) and have no problems going from MP3 (DAC shows 44.1) local tracks to Qobuz whatever-frequency-rate and back. My DAC is a Topping D30 Pro.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
iPads are now USB-C, so no adapter.
I would blame on Apple Music app. The player app is responsible for choosing the right sample rate.

alvigg

My iPad now seems fine, can only get iPhone to work at 48kHz even though the parts say higher resolution is possible. Not a big deal but a small one for me.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
My iPad now seems fine, can only get iPhone to work at 48kHz even though the parts say higher resolution is possible. Not a big deal but a small one for me.
The Lightning port needs the Apple USB adapter to send HI-RES files to the DAC

alvigg

I used the Apple USB adapter and only got 48 bits. I was in a bit of rush so I never checked that I had all the iPhone check boxes correct, so may try again.

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
I used the Apple USB adapter and only got 48 bits. I was in a bit of rush so I never checked that I had all the iPhone check boxes correct, so may try again.
My experience with the same hw setup and Qobuz is no limits up to 24/96 (which is the max resolution/sample ratio I set up in the Qobuz app)

bombili

hello everyone

I have a topping e30, a mini pc with daphile installed, a rega brio amplifier, triangle borea 03 speakers and a qobuz. I have used the e30 with a usb charging adapter for a long time. I did not like the sound very much. bass sounds were insufficient, there were missing trebles. sound was not solid. Then I started using powerbank, a lot of things improved. But I read in some forums that using power bank is not correct. What can you say about this?

allo shanti, ifi power x , topping p50 all these are very expensive. I don't want to spend money on them. Also, I'm not sure they will solve the problem for sure. There are many unclear and confusing articles on the forums about them. I think it would be more appropriate to replace the dac

If I switch from e30 to e30 ii, will the power supply problem be solved completely. Will the bass sounds get stronger, will the sound be bodied, will it gain depth and breadth? Will I be able to use the usb charging adapter without problems?

Or instead of the e30 ii, which other dac that does not have a power supply problem can you recommend. For example, how about e50, e70, e70v, or one of the slms dacs

Toku

Major Contributor
hello everyone

I have a topping e30, a mini pc with daphile installed, a rega brio amplifier, triangle borea 03 speakers and a qobuz. I have used the e30 with a usb charging adapter for a long time. I did not like the sound very much. bass sounds were insufficient, there were missing trebles. sound was not solid. Then I started using powerbank, a lot of things improved. But I read in some forums that using power bank is not correct. What can you say about this?

allo shanti, ifi power x , topping p50 all these are very expensive. I don't want to spend money on them. Also, I'm not sure they will solve the problem for sure. There are many unclear and confusing articles on the forums about them. I think it would be more appropriate to replace the dac

If I switch from e30 to e30 ii, will the power supply problem be solved completely. Will the bass sounds get stronger, will the sound be bodied, will it gain depth and breadth? Will I be able to use the usb charging adapter without problems?

Or instead of the e30 ii, which other dac that does not have a power supply problem can you recommend. For example, how about e50, e70, e70v, or one of the slms dacs
I used two E30s for a while, but when the E30 ll was released, I immediately purchased it and compared the sound quality. The E30ll recognized a definite evolution in terms of sound quality.
I have two E50's as well, but prefer the E30 ll if MQA and balanced connections are not required.

bombili

Bir süre iki E30 kullandım, ancak E30 ll serbest bırakıldığında hemen satın aldım ve ses kalitesini karşılaştırdım. E30ll, ses kalitesi açısından kesin bir evrim tanımıştır.
İki E50'm de var, ancak MQA ve dengeli bağlantılar gerekmiyorsa E30 ll'yi tercih edin.
Thank you
I ordered the e30 ii

Last edited:

bombili

Topping e30 ii gets very hot while running. Case gets very hot after 10 minutes, e30 was not like this. Is it normal?

Toku

Major Contributor
Topping e30 ii gets very hot while running. Case gets very hot after 10 minutes, e30 was not like this. Is it normal?
Heat generation varies greatly with room temperature.
What are you using for the power supply?
Is the output voltage correct 5V?

bombili

Heat generation varies greatly with room temperature.
What are you using for the power supply?
Is the output voltage correct 5V?
I'm using a 20,000mah varta powerbank or a low noise ugreen cd104 usb -a smart charger on the topping 30 and e30ii. The e30 ii gets seriously hot. I received the e30 ii via amazon today

the output voltage is 5V

Toku

Major Contributor
I'm using a 20,000mah varta powerbank or a low noise ugreen cd104 usb -a smart charger on the topping 30 and e30ii. The e30 ii gets seriously hot. I received the e30 ii via amazon today

the output voltage is 5V
I have purchased multiple E30/E30lls, but the heat generation is the same and it doesn't get that hot.

Do not use a mobile battery such as varta powerbank to power the E30ll. If it malfunctions, it will supply high voltage to the E30ll and cause failure, and the quality of the power supply is not good.
Is the heat generated the same using either power supply?
Please connect the power cable to the USB port of the PC once and use it with USB power supply and compare the heat generation.

raif71

Major Contributor
I use mobile battery (10k mah) with the original E30 and it doesn't get hot
1689811873734.png

My brick audio gears setup :p

I'm planning to use SMSL D12 with mobile battery too.

bombili

I have purchased multiple E30/E30lls, but the heat generation is the same and it doesn't get that hot.

Do not use a mobile battery such as varta powerbank to power the E30ll. If it malfunctions, it will supply high voltage to the E30ll and cause failure, and the quality of the power supply is not good.
Is the heat generated the same using either power supply?
Please connect the power cable to the USB port of the PC once and use it with USB power supply and compare the heat generation.
thank you, i will try

Top Bottom