• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

XDUOO XQ50 PRO 2 Bluetooth Receiver Review

Rate this Bluetooth Adapter:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the XDUOO XQ50 PRO 2 BT receiver and DAC. It was kindly donated by an overseas member and costs US $89.
Xduoo XQ-50 Pro2 Bluetooth Receiver RCA DAC DNR Review.jpg

As you can instantly see, XQ50 Pro 2 has this wonderfully informative display that shows the codec in use (LDAC), sample rate (missing a zero as it should be 41000), bit depth and even the file name of what is playing. Can't tell you how useful this information is. In the process of getting my Samsung to use LDAC, I would constantly see that another codec was being used until I found the right place to change it. For diagnostic purposes alone, this is worth having. Here is the back side:

Xduoo XQ-50 Pro2 Bluetooth Receiver RCA DAC DNR back panel toslink coax Review.jpg

You have a choice of internal DAC with RCA output or using either Coax or Toslink S/PDIF to an external DAC. Power is provided using USB-C but no power supply is included. I used my USB port built into my monitor and I suggest you do the same (using one on a computer) to avoid creating ground loops (Toslink would be immune).

XDUOO XQ50 PRO 2 BT Receiver Measurements
Let's start with the internal DAC measurements using LDAC as the Bluetooth codec:
Xduoo XQ-50 Pro2 Bluetooth Receiver RCA DAC Measurement.psd.png

As I expected performance is pretty poor. Distortion is quite high although it goes down if you lower the volume (SINAD goes into low 80s). Fortunately noise performance is good:
Xduoo XQ-50 Pro2 Bluetooth Receiver RCA DAC DNR Measurement.png

Nice to see digital output nearly matching ideal response. Jitter test shows a number of unwanted spikes:
Xduoo XQ-50 Pro2 Bluetooth Receiver RCA DAC Jitter Measurement.png

Let's run the dashboard with digital out:
Xduoo XQ-50 Pro2 Bluetooth Receiver Toslink Digital Out DAC Measurement.png

Performance is naturally quite a bit better. For a realistic application, let's test with Topping D70s. This is its performance driven by my analyzer:
Topping A70s Measurement.png

Now with XQ50 PRO 2 as the source:
Topping A70s From XQ-50 Pro 2 Bluetooth.png

There is only a tiny hit which considering we are compressing the test signal, is not bad at all.

I then ran the jitter test again. Unfortunately I picked the wrong target DAC as the D70s doesn't have good jitter rejection over Toslink. Going with that anyway, we see that the XQ50 PRO 2 makes things much worse:
Topping A70s From XQ-50 Pro 2 Bluetooth Jitter.png

Another DAC with better Toslink interface would do better.

Conclusions
While I wish the performance of the XQ50 PRO 2 was better, I really, really like its diagnostic information. I test many DACs with Bluetooth built in but none provide the critical codec choice which has a massive effect on audible (and measured) performance. Assuming you use an external DAC, you still get near "wired" performance so on that front, the job is done.

I am going to recommend the XQ50 PRO 2 Bluetooth adapter/converter.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

nawfal07

Thanks for the review @amirm .

Lemanss

Thank you for your try, it is obvious that this device will be used with an external DAC. I would have preferred if you tested it with a DAC like the Topping 90 SE on coax input. This would have clearly highlighted its own faults and characteristics.

Lemanss

At first glance the ifi Zen Blue is much better. But how could it be tested without adding a DAC? And why not do the same test for the XDUOO XQ50 PRO 2?

JakeK

Forum Donor
This seems like a genuinely good option for adding bluetooth to existing hi-fi. It's not that easy to find devices that include LDAC or even aptx HD. According to the Amazon UK page it can also be a USB DAC for your PC even though the USB input seems to indicate it's just for power. Maybe that could be used to connect a laptop to your hifi but that seems redundant if your laptop has LDAC. I wouldn't buy it as a USB sound card myself though.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir!
Nice, but if one has to use a USB port to power it, then a DAC, one would be better off plugging the DAC directly!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks Amir!
Nice, but if one has to use a USB port to power it, then a DAC, one would be better off plugging the DAC directly!
But that wouldn't get you connectivity to your phone unless that DAC has Bluetooth already with LDAC support.

Here are the Specifications:

IMG_0537.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think XDuoo make some very good products. I use one of their small minimalist DAPs, the X2S and am very impressed with the sound quality, power output and useful EQ options. 10+ hours between charges too. All for around £50... As I use it pretty much daily, I can't really spare it for testing unfortunately...Thanks for the review Amir and good work Xduoo.

Last edited:

mc.god

sample rate (missing a zero as it should be 41000),

Escuse me, but shouldn't it be 44100? so it's missing the first digit?

[EDIT]
Uhm, but isn't sample rate shown at the last line at 96Khz? so what's that 4100? a bit confused :rolleyes:

[EDIT2]
Could it be that the second line is the file name scrolling? :facepalm:

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Amir you are a machine. Dropping two reviews one day after Christmas. Which means that you must have worked some of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Your dedication to your Membership and Readers is highly commendable Sir. Thank you for all you continue to give this community. :cool:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to use this opportunity to say that xDuoo need better marketing people. What kind of name is “xDuoo?” If the company wants to appeal to consumers in countries that use the Latin alphabet, they need to try harder. Even “xDuo” would be better—if there was something related to the number two in their products. But “Duoo?” Come on. Do a little basic research to come up with an appealing name rather than one that resembles doo doo.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the review, @amirm,
...Which means that you must have worked some of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day....
[You need to turn up your volume knob.:oops: I think there is a subliminal message in there trying to tell you "it's time for vacation, it's time for vacation,... it's time for vacation!"]
------------------------------
To this day, I use a portable music player (X20) made by xDuoo, that has been very reliable and flexible for my needs.
Unfortunately, xDuoo has also fallen-back in their design prowess; compared with the likes of SMSL/Topping/etc. brigade.
That's a shame! I wish them luck.
They get a GolfingPanther from me; I graded them on a sliding-scale that includes its low-cost.

Saponetto

Oh, this little boy served me well as my first contact with LDAC... I still have so many good sensations thinking about it!
Thanks a lot for this appreciated review, @amirm!

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you explain a bit more what is making the Jitter chart so bad? That seems to be one of the worst you have measured.

Top Bottom