• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Weiss DAC205 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 116 48.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 102 42.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 6.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters

MadRiver

Another icon beats the dust. Puzzling how the multi-tone test shows horrible results. It would be nice to test how a current production DAC from Weiss measures. I agree: with the current offer of high quality/low price DACs, it is not competitive to spend North of $1,000 for any DAC. Thank you Amir for another very useful review. Of note, my Weiss MAN-301 has been working almost flawlessly for about six years, it has been serviced for free by Mr. Weiss when a new DVD/CD reader was necessary, and so far it has helped me store more that 82,000 FLAC music files: the iPod interface is very well designed and offers superb archival qualities. The DAC I use is the Stereo DAC8 by Okto Research, because it is the DACless MAN-301.
this is current production, 5 month backorders with a list price that has doubled since June of this year after the Steve Huff review drove up demand. At least two members purchased this year before prices went way up...

The DL200 is 150€. Less expansive. And the M300SE is 110€, far better measurements than the Weiss, with a volume control, a screen, a remote, two headphone outputs, a filter selection, I mean a ton of functions compared to the Weiss and better measurements. For 110€.
That’s how I view it, as well. There are great options with staggering specs at small prices.

Consumers with deeper pockets that choose a higher Topping and SMSL model are still way under 1/2 the price of this paperweight and 1/3 the price of RME. The RME does not sound better, and I hardly see why it should be preferred in a playback system other than to say, “me too”.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
That’s how I view it, as well.

Consumers with deeper pockets that choose a higher Topping and SMSL model are still way under 1/2 the price of this paperweight and 1/3 the price of RME. The RME does not sound better, and I hardly see why it should be preferred in a playback system other than to say, “me too”.
Because the RME has a ton of functions available for the user. It depends on your use cases, but the RME is not a silly expense.

At the contrary, when the measurements are weak and functions the bare minimum, there is no need to buy.

I think that’s fair. It should be interesting to see what the others release in Q2-Q3 of 2024. I await the arrival of PEQ on more DACs.

virtua

This, along with the RNHP are good examples of renown studio gear manufacturers making some of the laziest, most overpriced gear imaginable. I figure they do it because they know people will buy just on the name alone. Atleast audiophile companies try to make their gear look nice and just a thin metal box held together with some allen screws...

I figure they do it because they know people will buy just on the name alone.
Atleast audiophile companies try to make their gear look nice and just a thin metal box held together with some allen screws...

Yes. Speaking as an audio engineer, I would naturally be inclined to stick with known/pro brands so they take advantage of that. I know their history/legacy, so it's fair to say that I'm very much in their target demographic. This is why they benefit from their no-frills designs, since it reinforces the idea that the focus is on technical performance - as if good looks were superfluous. I have to admit that I genuinely like the design of the RNHP, Weiss DACs and such products because of this 'engineer bias', if I may put it that way.

A few years ago, a hi-fi dealer tried to convince me that I should also look at regular hi-fi products. Of course I thought "no way, I need serious stuff, not some esoteric designs" and quickly dismissed the suggestion, much to my mistake.

Luckily we have sites like ASR to show which manufacturers really care about technical performance, plus brands like Benchmark or RME that offer technical performance AND professional reliability/support.

AdrianusG

now we need to see results of the contemporary version

weiss-product-dac502-isolated-white-front-opt.png

weiss-product-dac502-isolated-rear-opt.png
Well, as a starter, it for sure has better looks!

3125b

Major Contributor
The DL200 is 150€. Less expansive. And the M300SE is 110€, far better measurements than the Weiss, with a volume control, a screen, a remote, two headphone outputs, a filter selection, I mean a ton of functions compared to the Weiss and better measurements. For 110€.
True and I agree that they are great value, but those devices target a different marked segment and demographic.
RME fills a similar niche though, professional and pro-sumer targeted devices made in a first world country (which is important to some people) and whatnot.
But even they offer infinitely more for the money. This DAC is priced the way it is because Weiss mostly sell their name here and not the product.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ooh no external PSU... bet the subjectivists are now coming to the defence with the statement that you need to connect a $4000 linear power supply to really hear all the sound details this DAC offers. :rolleyes:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ooh no external PSU... bet the subjectivists are now coming to the defence with the statement that you need to connect a $4000 linear power supply to really hear all the sound details this DAC offers. :rolleyes:
$4k peanuts, if you are ‘fortunate’ enough to own a Chord ‘Dave’ dac you can get one of these,

Keith

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You just have to persuade customers,’that everything matters’ then you can convince them to buy more or less anything.
Ultimately the customers who are being ripped off actually then defend the product.
Why do listeners write in to forums and declare that they hear differences that are literally impossible?
Is it just wanting to be part of the group, not wanting to be left out really interesting, obviously if you have just paid £8.5k for an external power supply…
Keith

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
You just have to persuade customers,’that everything matters’ then you can convince them to buy more or less anything.
Ultimately the customers who are being ripped off actually then defend the product.
Why do listeners write in to forums and declare that they hear differences that are literally impossible?
Is it just wanting to be part of the group, not wanting to be left out really interesting, obviously if you have just paid £8.5k for an external power supply…
Keith
Or wanting to believe that they are one of the "special" ones who can hear what ordinary mortals cannot, an exaggerated audio equivalent of a wine taster?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
WOW is this thing hand made by the designer with a soldering iron and raw parts, then packaged and shipped by himself? Otherwise I couldn't explain this price.

Top Bottom