• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II Lite DAC review and measurements

Rate this DAC

• 1. Poor

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • 3. Fine

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • 4. Great

Votes: 52 66.7%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you for prompt response. As the analog out of the wiim is subpar I want to connect it to a better dac which has volume control. I suppose I could just connect a wiim pro plus directly to the power amp but again I would be wary of its volume control. Sorry if I am not understanding your reply correctly.
I see.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of DACs with volume control do so digitally, just like the WiiM. The E30II Lite falls into that cateory as well. It can function as a DAC and Preamp at the same time, but unlike a traditional preamp, it does the volume control digitally.

salmo

Hello dear ASR! :)

I tested Topping DX3 Pro+, really nice combo, but weird BT implementation (always on, even when i choose different input) and volume control in 1dB steps - I decided to return it. Then I connect my Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3gen to Atom AMP (1gen ;D), they worked really nice together, but I have a problem with clicking sound with every change of sampling rate. Not that big deal, but a little annoying to be honest. What's interesting - I have this issue even with DX3 Pro+ - however more gently, almost inaudible for me. Next I decided to take the Topping 30 II Lite for testing - best decision ever!
photo_2024-01-04_22-47-13.jpg

Looks super nice as a stack! No clicking issues anymore (hmm... different implementation of AKM chip vs CS in Focusrite or ESS in DX3 Pro+?), volume control every 0,5dB across full range. Also I can change the volume with the remote control from a distance. In DAC mode signal bypass some parts of chip, but I guess that in preamp mode in my comfort zone from -10db to -0dB there is no audible differences (the SINAD for -20dB is still very good). What I really like - after turning off auto-on mode - in standby E30 II Lite consume like only ~0,1W, nice! :D

Zek

Major Contributor
No clicking issues anymore
Do you mean the clicks and pops at the beginning of each audio file and when changing the bit rate?
Does Lite have problems with going to sleep mode?

salmo

Do you mean the clicks and pops at the beginning of each audio file and when changing the bit rate?
Does Lite have problems with going to sleep mode?
Yup, but only if sample rate change, not at the beginning of each audio file. With E30 II Lite + Atom AMP I don't have this problem, but I use on my PC Linux daily. I don't know how it behaves under windows 10 sadly.
I didn't catch any problems when auto sleep mode is on (standby after 1 minute and wake up with PC works fine), but that's only my second day on this combo. :p

Ilpiera

Hi. I just buyed one but i am thinking about uograding to e30 ii: two akm chips. Can I expect improvement worth the 50 euuro difference or is better to step up directly to e70? For 5 time the price anyway. The e30ii is a big improvement over my yamaha wxc50 now used as a streamer so i am quite dubious on e70 but tempted from e30ii even if i think it sounds a little restraind. The rest of chain is Yamaha as1200 and wharfedale linton

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. I just buyed one but i am thinking about uograding to e30 ii: two akm chips. Can I expect improvement worth the 50 euuro difference or is better to step up directly to e70? For 5 time the price anyway. The e30ii is a big improvement over my yamaha wxc50 now used as a streamer so i am quite dubious on e70 but tempted from e30ii even if i think it sounds a little restraind. The rest of chain is Yamaha as1200 and wharfedale linton
This DAC is already much better than your hearing. You won't get any audible benefit buying something more expensive.

So only upgrade if you need features/functions in the more expensive device.

asrUser

Better step up to E70 when they're on sale.

salmo

Thanks. Wich improvements can I expect from e70 over e30ii lite?
Mostly technical ones - balanced output, bluetooth with LDAC support, build-in power supply, knob (finally haha). Well also lower coax jitter and better SINAD, but I guess those are inaudible differences.

Ilpiera

This DAC is already much better than your hearing. You won't get any audible benefit buying something more expensive.

So only upgrade if you need features/functions in the more expensive device.
Thank you.
Mostly technical ones - balanced output, bluetooth with LDAC support, build-in power supply, knob (finally haha). Well also lower coax jitter and better SINAD, but I guess those are inaudible differences.
ah ok thanks. So i keep the e30 since non need for bt or balanced.

batazs

Hello,
I want to buy an external DAC between CD transport and amplifier. Can I hear a difference between the E30 II Lite and the E30 II?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Hello,
I want to buy an external DAC between CD transport and amplifier. Can I hear a difference between the E30 II Lite and the E30 II?
I don’t think so.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hello,
I would say no. As a person who has done extensive critical listening tests between DACs; I haven't been able to hear a difference between anything with 105 SINAD or more.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
No. :D

swa2023

I now added linearity.

This seems easy, but it's actually quite difficult to reproduce Amir's test for this.

I was able to reproduce it's bandpass filter.
(Thanks to @amirm for sharing the data about it)
But I think I need to mimic the AP scale-switching behaviour to really reach the right level of accuracy.
I'll give it a try later.

Results I've got for the Topping E30 II lite are good enough, anyway, so I published them as is.
But I'm sure I can improve the measurement and the measured result will be even better.

By the way, linearity is an important measurement, IMO.
Great review.
Could you show more about bandpass filter? I'm trying to use it in MT.

Top Bottom