• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

JRS

Major Contributor
That's normal. DX3 Pro+ has an excellent built-in headphone amplifier, but the heat generated from this part warms the case.
Mine gets hot if there is reduced ventilation and I'm cranking. Otherwise warm.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I got my dx3 pro plus. It sounds good. I use it with my mobile phone. However there's a constant buzz, a low frequency hum. Sound level of this hum is always the same no matter I decrease or increase volume. This hum is totally gone when I touch the metal chassis of the dx3 pro+ or metal chassis if my mobile phone. So is this a ground hum? How can I get rid of this? I'm not using an OTG cable. I use a USB hub with hdmi, USB A outputs on it. As long as I touch the metal chassis, amp is dead quiet.
I suppose the headset you were using is of the in-ear variety and of decently high sensitivity? I have encountered this problem before on my work laptop when plugged into mains power... pretty sure it's power supply mains leakage current on behalf of internal mains filtering. If you're not using Toslink in, blame it on the host system's power supply - I guess you were using a powered USB hub? Some way of earthing the system should fix this - it clearly doesn't take very low resistance or anything if your body will do.

Traditional Thinkpad power supplies would have a 1 kOhm resistor from secondary side to mains PE to mitigate such issues without creating a major ground loop problem in the process.

MartinEighty8

Been using it for 6 months or so without issue across multiple different DAC/AMP's.
Interesting, I had random stuttering constantly happening between my PS5 and DX3 PRO+ connected via that same DAC, until I changed the USB cable on the PS5 -> DAC to the Fallback Cable from JDS Labs (I had already tried multiple USB cables & ports prior to this to no avail).

Done a few tests, so far no issues since then.

*Cihan*

I suppose the headset you were using is of the in-ear variety and of decently high sensitivity? I have encountered this problem before on my work laptop when plugged into mains power... pretty sure it's power supply mains leakage current on behalf of internal mains filtering. If you're not using Toslink in, blame it on the host system's power supply - I guess you were using a powered USB hub? Some way of earthing the system should fix this - it clearly doesn't take very low resistance or anything if your body will do.

Traditional Thinkpad power supplies would have a 1 kOhm resistor from secondary side to mains PE to mitigate such issues without creating a major ground loop problem in the process.
Yes, those in ears have fairly high sensitivity. But I used even higher sensitivity monitors with both a 4 pin and 3 pin single ended cable and had no issues. I use a powered USB hub on mobile phone and I power it with powerbank to be sure that I don't hear harmonics. I didn't measure it but the jacks are probably not same size and could be slightly different. I won't use those in ears with buzz since the other in ears are higher quality. But I just wondered why microphone causes buzz since it probably doesn't touch anything inside the chassis. Dx3 pro+ is dead silent with proper jack without mic so I have no complaints.

gmoney

Interesting, I had random stuttering constantly happening between my PS5 and DX3 PRO+ connected via that same DAC, until I changed the USB cable on the PS5 -> DAC to the Fallback Cable from JDS Labs (I had already tried multiple USB cables & ports prior to this to no avail).

Done a few tests, so far no issues since then.
Yeah that's strange. I only gave it a 20 minute go with a single game and didn't experience any stutters or issues. Let me have a longer session today just to be safe.

MartinEighty8

Yeah that's strange. I only gave it a 20 minute go with a single game and didn't experience any stutters or issues. Let me have a longer session today just to be safe.
Yeah so prior to the fallback cable, I would get stuttering anywhere between instantly - 10 minutes or so into listening, and from there the stutter would occur every few to 30 seconds roughly. Since connecting it via the fallback cable, I have done multiple listening tests for extended periods of time and haven't noticed any stutter in the slightest. Hopefully it stays that way.

Theodore8

Forum Donor
Question to ASR Members:

Can the DX3Pro+ handle the Hifiman HE400SE headphones (25 Ohm, 91dB) at high volume ?

JRS

Major Contributor
Question to ASR Members:

Can the DX3Pro+ handle the Hifiman HE400SE headphones (25 Ohm, 91dB) at high volume ?
I suspect it would be close depending on if you EQ and by how much. The Sudara's IIRC are 94dB and 33ohms, so not a huge difference. Using the recommended EQ requires -8dB preamp setting to accommodate the 8dB bass boost. Maximum volume is VERY loud--could I stand a few more dB? Unquestionably and would love it on the handful of pedal to the metal tunes. Would it be good for these 65 y.o. ears, absolutely NOT. So for me, it's an ideal match. There are the calculators such as https://www.headphonesty.com/headphone-power-calculator/
to help you decide. IIRC we have 1.5W @ 32 ohms on tap. Should still be plenty!

Last edited:

TohuBohu

Considering this for my desktop setup.
Anyone with feedback on DX3Pro+ (usb) with the DT 1990 Pro ?

Thanks !

Last edited:

kingduckling

man got this today, plugged it in.
I dont listen at high volumes and this is sligltly louder than my motherboard with an alc898, not sure if i got a defective unit.
Question to ASR Members:

Im driving an akg k702 @68 ohm and 92 db it gets loud not as loud as i wouldve expected but i would not listen at that level.
I am no expert but you should be fine.
Also have Sundara, as previously mentioned similar to he400se, drives it fine also.

MartinEighty8

man got this today, plugged it in.
I dont listen at high volumes and this is sligltly louder than my motherboard with an alc898, not sure if i got a defective unit.

Im driving an akg k702 @68 ohm and 92 db it gets loud not as loud as i wouldve expected but i would not listen at that level.
I am no expert but you should be fine.
Also have Sundara, as previously mentioned similar to he400se, drives it fine also.
According to AKG's website, the K702 has:

Sensitivity (dB SPL/V @ 1 kHz) - 105
Rated impedance (Ω) - 62

These are the same as the K712, which are my headphones and with the DX3 PRO+ I have plenty of headroom to get them loud enough for my ears. But I would think even assuming with your specs, it should still drive your headphones easily enough. Have you enabled High Gain output?

Perepep

Contact the technical topping service to answer my questions about how the dx3 pro + would behave with my Verum One, the answer is that they recommend the E50+L50 combo. I think that if someone is going to use the dx3 pro with 8 ohm headphones, they better look for something else.

Dear Pedro

Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

For the Verum One, we recommend that you could consider the E50+L50 combo set.

Best Regards

--------------------

TOPPING SERVICE
a-FjrSF2qTmqCHqCrbdSjZvWGM-e3ej-YRiujhcDalMJNgfYxRXArXVnnknZHzKuEP5isoCaUez-zkKPOw6Ucbtsgwvr9s7jXaUJ21ub892SIAR4lCFKj5EYpPrlNLPV=s0-d-e1-ft

kingduckling

According to AKG's website, the K702 has:

These are the same as the K712, which are my headphones and with the DX3 PRO+ I have plenty of headroom to get them loud enough for my ears. But I would think even assuming with your specs, it should still drive your headphones easily enough. Have you enabled High Gain output?
Yes 105 dB/V SPL or 92 dB/mW SPL. Most manufacturers rate their sensitivity at dB/mw.
Yes, high gain can activated with remote only for the unit, i think at least, have not managed to activate it without remote.
It gets loud on high, i just thought it would be louder, i would also never listen at that volume, most definitely not safe.

MartinEighty8

Yes 105 dB/V SPL or 92 dB/mW SPL. Most manufacturers rate their sensitivity at dB/mw.
Yes, high gain can activated with remote only for the unit, i think at least, have not managed to activate it without remote.
It gets loud on high, i just thought it would be louder, i would also never listen at that volume, most definitely not safe.
These AKGs are quite power hungry, even compared to the Sundara. Before receiving my Pro+, I tried the K712 with my Hidizs S8 (which isn't much more powerful than a standard 3.5mm port on a mobo/phone). Bass levels were practically nonexistent and the overall sound just wasn't there. These AKGs really need so much power to properly drive them.

mamadu

Okay really small world. I’m a Burlington boy. Fairview HiFi I know we’ll. The owner spilt wine on my shoes at a Hi-Fi party.

It’s much easier to make choices today. Specs in the 80’s were published never tested.We would audition gear and make choices on subjective BS.

I just sold my 40+ year old turntable and my vinyl. Getting ready to downsize the Linn amp stack and speakers.

I looked at the same DAC assortment as you. Ended up buying the Topping because I really wanted the A30Pro headphone amp and wanted the matching look as well. Very happy with both.

You might want to find a Apple Airport Express for streaming. It’ll blow the doors off Bluetooth. 30 to 50 on eBay Airplay 2 though.

Cheers
Peter
It truly is a small world after all. My dad said he picked up the speakers on sale when Pete and Geets did a live-on-location from Fairview back in the 80s. Got to meet them too. I’ll have to drop by one time, have a look around, send a selfie to my dad from the storefront.

Hope you’re enjoying your Topping DX3 Pro+. I’m in love with my Loxjie D30, so hopefully the Topping fit the bill for you. I’m sure you’ll have no problem offloading the Linn gear and vinyl. Someone in Burlington just got into the hobby at exactly the right time for your gear to hit the market, lol.

I’ve heard people mention the Airport Express before, but I’m not certain how that would work? Airplay, rather than Bluetooth? Does it play 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC (or ALAC)? Curious to know what I’m missing.

Cheers from Etobicoke!
Matt

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It truly is a small world after all. My dad said he picked up the speakers on sale when Pete and Geets did a live-on-location from Fairview back in the 80s. Got to meet them too. I’ll have to drop by one time, have a look around, send a selfie to my dad from the storefront.

Hope you’re enjoying your Topping DX3 Pro+. I’m in love with my Loxjie D30, so hopefully the Topping fit the bill for you. I’m sure you’ll have no problem offloading the Linn gear and vinyl. Someone in Burlington just got into the hobby at exactly the right time for your gear to hit the market, lol.

I’ve heard people mention the Airport Express before, but I’m not certain how that would work? Airplay, rather than Bluetooth? Does it play 24/96 and 24/192 FLAC (or ALAC)? Curious to know what I’m missing.

Cheers from Etobicoke!
Matt
More than once now I’ve mixed my models up. I have the D30 Pro. AirPlay is a Apple thing. 24/96 but there are rumour of 24/192. My experience with Bluetooth is older generations apparently the BT 5 is good. I’ve not really looked into it.

I’ve moved some of the Linn. I’m down to 2 amps and speakers.

audiofun

Thought I'd email Topping directly and find out what S/PDIF chip is used in the DX3 PRO+.

This was the response:

Pretty suspect considering they clearly advertise the S/PDIF chip used in their DX3 PRO LDAC as an AKM 4118.

Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 19.21.39.png

It's not hard to guess the chip. If you look at the chip in certain angle with good lighting, you can get the remaining traces of the marking :)

Top Bottom