• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

frki16

which power supply / charger adapter were you using? Did you used to leave it connected in stand by?
samsung phone charger PS, yes it was connected all time as it should. stand by and power on was managed by E30 as source appear.
symptoms were: working at evening and not working in the morning :)

Toku

Major Contributor
samsung phone charger PS, yes it was connected all time as it should. stand by and power on was managed by E30 as source appear.
symptoms were: working at evening and not working in the morning :)
Have you tested with other power supplies as well?

Piere

A standard 5V adapter should do. Whatever make. I have the very first E30 version with the original AK4493 at my television set. Powered by a standard 5V adapter for nearly 3 years continuously now. Although I do not notice a difference in power consumption between on and off with auto-power.

Is it a fast charger? It may supply a higher DC voltage than 5V.

Every charger starts default at 5V and switches only to fast mode after extensive negotiation with the target device. I have a standard Samsung fast charger here continuously plugged in and it does all apparatus, from E-reader, tablet to all kinds of mobile phones in the house.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Every charger starts default at 5V and switches only to fast mode after extensive negotiation with the target device. I have a standard Samsung fast charger here continuously plugged in and it does all apparatus, from E-reader, tablet to all kinds of mobile phones in the house.
iirc, there were reports that some fast chargers, after you plugged in a compatible device that triggered >5V, then plugged it out and plugged in a USB to barrel plug adapter without any handshake logic, would not reset to 5V and instead continued outputting 9/12/etc V.

Piere

Interesting. It is new to me. Do you have some links for us to those reports?

Toku

Major Contributor
I will answer this but will say none :).
hope guys from service don't ask me these kind of questions...
You can also check the operation by connecting the E30 ll power cord to the USB port of your desktop PC.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
It would imo be better if Topping would include a small plug-in power supply. My E30 and my E30II were the first DACs to lack this accessory, so to speak.

Toku

Major Contributor
Will mqa support come to E30II with firmware update?
I don't think the introduction of MQA to the E30 ll can be expected at all.

MQA Limited company itself went bankrupt on April 3rd. Therefore, it seems that there will be no supply of MQA files in the future.
TIDAL, which mainly dealt with MQA music files, also made a comment to withdraw from MQA.

Currently, MQA Limited seems to be looking for a buyer, but if it is not found, it will go bankrupt completely and MQA will disappear.

Topping recently released the DX5 Lite, which removes the MQA from the DX5.
Perhaps Topping was the first to get information about the bankruptcy of MQA Limited and released the new DX5 Lite.
Among Topping's products, only E50, DX5, D90SE, and EX5 support MQA, which is very few compared to SMSL.
Among them, I think that DX5 and D90SE will be discontinued in the future.

Last edited:

Anderlfs

UNLESS, my MBP 15-inch, mid 2012 has two different USB outputs OR my old Pioneer A505R amp's Tuner and CD inputs are different ... Have you compared the E30 II to any other DAC?
I received an E50 for another room and took the opportunity to test both side by side, with same cables, power, sources. Yes, I hear a difference, but very subtle, far from the way it has been put. I would say that the E30-II produces a flatter signal, but both have great musicality and the same performance, as expected. I also have an iFi DAC with a hybrid multibit chip and the difference is more noticeable. It doesn’t measure very well, but both E30-II and E50 may sound overly revealing to some people when compared to that one.

IMG_1852.jpeg

EDIT: This site is at the top in searches and my goal was to help common people not to make a mistake by comparisons of the same products, without reference to a third one. The others do better by ignoring this.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More DAC listening comparisons, DOH! Or better said DOA!

Veri

Master Contributor
both E30-II and E50 may sound overly revealing to some people when compared to that one.
Why, because those two are Topping brand and the other iFi brand? I very much doubt people would hear any of that if they didn't know what device they were listening to in advance...

conuss

Why, because those two are Topping brand and the other iFi brand? I very much doubt people would hear any of that if they didn't know what device they were listening to in advance...
Others have no doubts and use the desired gag without hesitation.

Anderlfs

Why, because those two are Topping brand and the other iFi brand?
I should include some older cd-players that I have not to look so personal. The point is that many people, including me, still like a lot of 80s metal, underground stuff and garage recorded music that has always played wonders with 90’s popular microsystems. Have you ever tried to watch older Sd 480p movies not upscaled on 4K TVs? Not a good experience as It used to be. So, yes, some people will say they don't like how their music is being played with hi-fi well measured equipment. For the most people however E30/E50 is the only transparent DAC they need.

Veri

Master Contributor
I should include some older cd-players that I have not to look so personal. The point is that many people, including me, still like a lot of 80s metal, underground stuff and garage recorded music that has always played wonders with 90’s popular microsystems. Have you ever tried to watch older Sd 480p movies not upscaled on 4K TVs? Not a good experience as It used to be. So, yes, some people will say they don't like how their music is being played with hi-fi well measured equipment.
I just don't believe using worse DACs will somehow take the 'edge' off. That's now how that works. But imaging it to to do just that might just convince you of it. Power of imagination... o_O I'm serious, I have an age old Sony TDA1541A DAC. It's not like it sounds worlds more 'analogue' than a Topping E30/E30-ii :confused:

Last edited:
Top Bottom