• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 69.9%

• Total voters

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same, I emailed Topping, within less than 24h they had sent the 1.08 file, everything is back to normal after a quick update. Thanks Topping!

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I wonder if this is a good upgrade from FiiO K5 Pro (suing RCA) to this one with XLR.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Received my DX5 Lite yesterday. The main difference between this and the C200 is that even when turned off with the remote it still runs a bit warm. SMSL seems to turn of completely but on the other hand it doesn't have any auto-start or auto-turnoff.

Display is really nice, quite nice information. Now waiting for new XLR cables so I can try it out on the main system.

HDavidson

A relay click is heard at the beginning and end of each DSD album. With PCM there is no such click. Do you have the same?

HDavidson

Twice dac went into protection mode and turns off or into DFU mode when you turn on the dsd files. This is my first dac to react like this. After he goes into DFU mode and after a reboot, he returns. But this is not normal.
Files DSD are familiar and checked many times.

Shando

Should I go with the L70 or DX5 for using with Hifiman Ananda, Focal Clear, and Hifiman Arya? I have the E30 DAC for my two JBL 305 MKII and LSR310 Subwoofer. Was wondering if getting the DX5 would be worth combining all of them into one unit instead of stacking an L70 on top of the E30?

simmconn

I've had the Topping DX5 for a few month now and like it a lot. I like it so much that I had to do some nit-picking.

First is the wide-band noise. The DX5 is pretty quiet in the audio band, but the noise start to pick up as the measurement bandwidth goes up. I see 2.x uV within 20KHz bandwidth, increasing to about 18uV with 90KHz bandwidth. It registers about 1.5mV with 500kHz measurement bandwidth of an AP2722, and more than 2mV on an Agilent 34401A bench meter. Compared with the similarly priced SMSL SU-9 which is squeegee-clean above the audio band, this is less than ideal. Whether it is the switching power supply noise coupling or something else, Topping may want to look into it.

The second problem is random Left/Right channel delay in the USB mode. It's more likely to happen with higher sample rates. I've seen as much as 35 degree phase shift at 176.4k sample rate, which is about 4.96us. It's easy to reproduce. Just make a few .wav files at different sample rates containing the same 20KHz tone on both channels, and play them through USB. Observe the outputs on an oscilloscope, you'll see the left and right channels sometimes having a different phase. The amount of delay is random, and the delay would remain the same until the sample rate changes again. Since the delay in most cases is less than the sample interval of the source file, it's unlikely caused by anything from the source file to the USB interface, but more likely caused by the ES9068 or the way DX5 handles it during sample rate changes. S/PDIF via coax doesn't have this problem.

Topping_DX5_USB_176k_phaseShift.png

The third 'issue' is perhaps a well-known one, that certain manufacturers optimize their product based on how it is typically measured, and not necessarily the everyday usage scenario. We've seen the stellar THD+N performance of the unit at 0dBFS input. The following picture has slightly higher harmonics than the one Amir did because my AP is a lesser model than his APX555. But it's good enough to prove my point.

Topping_DX5_0DBFS.png

Once we slightly reduce the input amplitude by 3dB, the harmonics get a lot worse.

Topping_DX5_-3dBFS_0dB_Vol.png

Apparently the volume is done digitally (no surprise). Attenuating the input by 3dB has the same effect as setting -3dB volume with 0dBFS input:

Topping_DX5_0dBFS_-3dB_Vol.png

If ESS offers some kind of THD optimization feature in their DAC chips that can get better measured numbers, it would be stupid for Topping not to use it. But we know that's good for the measurement only, because nobody listens to 0dBFS sine wave all day.

Despite those minor issues, the DX5 is still my daily driver. From time to time I swap in the SU-9, within a couple of songs the DX5 would take back the driver seat. There must be something that Topping engineers did right. I just wish they can make the product more polished, maybe too much to ask for products at this price range? Also, I'm not suggesting that measurement is useless in picking a product that 'sounds better'; it's just that the limited measurement we've seen so far may not correlate with subjective impressions very well. There is still a lot to explore in that front. Believing in science means that we believe there is a lot more that we don't know than we already know.

For example, I can see that the SU-9 has an analog reconstruction filter with -3dB at about 83kHz. We listen through the filter even with all the hi-res sources. The DX5 on the other hand has a much more flatter response in the analog domain, which somewhat contributed to the higher broadband noise. Is that the major factor that makes them sound differently?

Last but not least, let's take a look at what's with the "Transistor sound":

Topping_DX5_Trans.png

and "Valve sound":

Topping_DX5_Valve.png

The sound coloring offered by SMSL is similar, with different combinations of 2nd and 3rd harmonics. If you don't hear a difference at all, congratulations, you could save a lot of $$ by not having to buy a DAC based on the SINAD leader board!

csabato

Hi, does anyone know if there's a defference in the RCA out between DAC mode and AMP mode at 0 dB? Thanks. (DX5 Lite)

MrLeon

Ppl, I need your help.
I'm planning to upgrade my Topping DX5 by soldering new op amps to the PCB.

Can I desolder the small OPA1612A (marking OVII TI 15I) and replace them with other op amps that have SOIC8/SOP8 package?
Are the places, that I showed in the photo, the ones that I need to solder the leads/foots to?
Will it work? :p

Sorry for my english and thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• OPA1612A.jpg
    OPA1612A.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 79

simmconn

Yes you could. But what for? The OPA1612 is pretty darn good for this position. To be honest, if you are not able to trace the board and get the answer by yourself, you are probably better off not doing any modifications.

MrLeon

Yes you could. But what for? The OPA1612 is pretty darn good for this position. To be honest, if you are not able to trace the board and get the answer by yourself, you are probably better off not doing any modifications.
You're right. I don't have knowledge about the circuit design and can't read it. As I see on the board, there are 7 positions that manufacturer uses to place OPA1612 to. I've marked them on the photo (hope that I've marked them right :D). Which positions will affect the sound best? Which should I replace to upgrade (?) the sound if I have better (?) op amps?

How do you know this is a upgrade. What tells you this?
Maybe it will not upgrade anything, even can downgrade :D But I want to try.
I see that Topping D50s, DX7 Pro, D10s have swappable op amps, so I want to try it with DX5 by soldering.

Attachments

• PCB op amp.jpg
    PCB op amp.jpg
    806 KB · Views: 106

Veri

Master Contributor
I see that Topping D50s, DX7 Pro, D10s have swappable op amps, so I want to try it with DX5 by soldering.
Sounds like a world of pain.

bbgma1234

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping DX5 balanced stereo DAC and (unbalanced) headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $449.
View attachment 195303
As you see the industrial design is all new. I like the large display and the feel of the volume control which is much improved. Note that the XLR headphone out is the same as 1/4 HP out and is there for convenience. Back panel shows the usual connections:
View attachment 195304

But also sports my favorite feature: built-in power supply. Let's start measurements with the DAC section.

Topping DX5 DAC Measurements
Let's start with XLR Output:
View attachment 195305
We expect superb performance and company delivers as expected, landing in our top 5 DACs ever tested:
View attachment 195306

RCA Output gives up just a tiny bit:
View attachment 195307

Noise performance is excellent:

View attachment 195308

Linearity is nailed:
View attachment 195309

General noise and distortion in IMD test is superb but we have our old "friend" the ESS IMD Hump back:
View attachment 195310

Performance is so good though that even with that hump it still performs.

Jitter over USB is excellent:
View attachment 195311

But there are odd spikes/jitter when using Toslink:
View attachment 195312

Fortunately at less than -120 dB, they are completely inaudible.

Multitone is superb:
View attachment 195313

Three reconstruction filters are provided:
View attachment 195316

THD+N versus frequency is extremely good:
View attachment 195318

Topping DX5 Headphone Amp Measurements
Let's measure how quiet the unit is:
View attachment 195319

This is very good but shy of state of the art:

View attachment 195320

Performance into both 300 ohm and 32 ohm loads is excellent with very low noise and distortion plus plenty of power:

View attachment 195321

View attachment 195322

Testing at various impedances we get:
View attachment 195323

Ignore the little glitches (measurement error). At 300 and 600 ohm there is no clipping so if you are hearing distortion it is your headphone! Below that naturally is current limiting. Unit is stable and capable of driving even 12 ohm load. Output impedance is essentially zero.

Topping DX5 Headphone Listening Tests
I started testing with my Sennheiser HD650 headphone. Performance was superb with incredible dynamics, detail and ability to rattle my skull if I let it! I then plugged in my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone which is both low impedance and difficult to drive. DX5 had no trouble driving it with no sign of distortion. I did not have as much headroom as with the HD650 but plenty of volume for safe listening.

Conclusions
We expect perfection from Topping and we almost get that in DX5. ESS IMD Hump and Toslink jitter are the only two areas of note but neither is an obstacle to superb performance. Delivering forth highest SINAD ever measured (out of nearly 400 DACs) is a major accomplishment.

I am going to recommend the Topping DX5.

Edit: video review posted:

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Does the DX5 usb work without needing a driver? (Recognize in Windows as audio device without needing any kind of driver?).

Veri

Master Contributor
Does the DX5 usb work without needing a driver? (Recognize in Windows as audio device without needing any kind of driver?).
Of course, sure! Just not on Windows 7 but shame on anyone still using that dinosaur.

iconoclast

For some reason I missed that this is just a single-ended headphone amp when I bought it 6 months ago (didn't use it until now); I thought that was just the EX5. Oh well, who am I kidding? It's not like I wasn't going to buy another headphone amp anyway...
Other than that (which is entirely my own fault), I really like it. The knob quality is a step up from the DX3Pro+.

alekksander

You're right. I don't have knowledge about the circuit design and can't read it. As I see on the board, there are 7 positions that manufacturer uses to place OPA1612 to. I've marked them on the photo (hope that I've marked them right :D). Which positions will affect the sound best? Which should I replace to upgrade (?) the sound if I have better (?) op amps?

Is it Your unit that is disassembled? Can i ask You do show me the volume knob pin? and maybe some measurements of vol knob?

alekksander

@simmconn
very nice post, thanks for sharing it! and the conclusions as well. superb!
Observe the outputs on an oscilloscope, you'll see the left and right channels sometimes having a different phase
does it depend of number of tries, or restricted to sample rate? could You show us some more examples of when does it happen and of what come out perfectly?
personally i'm one step from getting this unit, but this discovery makes me hesitate again…
There is still a lot to explore in that front.
well said, that explains why some folks claim to notice a difference. while it fades, there still are some scenarions and therefore some DACs may sound a bit different to some than to the others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom