• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 261 70.2%

• Total voters

Trell

Major Contributor
After the update (update process was successful) of the version of FW 1.38 DX5 downloaded from the official site Topping.
Error message: incorrect FW ver
Product blocked :facepalm::mad:

Do you mean that it is bricked or that there are some checks that incorrect firmware is not applied?

HDavidson

In my opinion, FW 1.38 from the official site does not match the Topping DX5 Lite model. Topping DX5 MQA models only.
Therefore, the device is blocked.
This is what lack of information or bad information leads to from producer.
Tomorrow it will be returned to the seller.

Angry !

I'll take a look at the response. In the event of a complication of the situation, the story with Topping will be over. Already had problems with other models.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion, FW 1.38 from the official site does not match the Topping DX5 Lite model. Topping DX5 MQA models only.
Therefore, the device is blocked.
This is what lack of information or bad information leads to from producer.
Tomorrow it will be returned to the seller.

Angry !

I'll take a look at the response. In the event of a complication of the situation, the story with Topping will be over. Already had problems with other models.

Why would you try to update the DX5 Lite with DX5 firmware? Why would you assume that they both models share the same firmware when they have different capabilities?

Topping quite rightly prevents you from flashing the incorrect firmware and turning your DX5 Lite into scrap.

There is no bad information here from Topping. It's just you making bad assumptions like thinking you need to update the firmware in the first place!

HDavidson

Model Topping DX5. Where did you see it is written that it is FW different? Lite or MQA. I haven't seen this anywhere.
This type of detail must be communicated clearly ! And especially when it comes to one model in two versions with minor differences.
I'm sure if I hadn't reported this issue here, many would have done the same.

Last edited:

4udio

Model Topping DX5. Where did you see it is written that it is FW different? Lite or MQA. I haven't seen this anywhere.
This type of detail must be communicated clearly ! And especially when it comes to one model in two versions with minor differences.
I'm sure if I hadn't reported this issue here, many would have done the same.
This approach is just wrong. If firmware is compatible with two different devices that needs to be stated clearly, otherwise, firmware should not be installed on device that is not listed as compatible. I mean, it is common reasoning.

HDavidson

Disagree categorically.
You can twist this question as you like. In my opinion, just the difference in FW for one device reference should be clearly advertised. That's not the case. That is, to avoid mistakes.
I have not tried to install FW from ED5 or DX7. Which would be strange.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Disagree categorically.
You can twist this question as you like. In my opinion, just the difference in FW for one device reference should be clearly advertised. That's not the case. That is, to avoid mistakes.
Topping has bewildering number of similar devices with similar names, so it’s easy to get confused.

In any case, it’s good that the firmware updater checks that the firmware is compatible with the device before flashing and thus potentially bricking it.

HDavidson

The miniprogram showed FW 1.08 and updated it to 1.38. The final message is "update succeeded".

4udio

Disagree categorically.
If person has diabetes and wants to drink Coca Cola, should it buy regular or Coca Cola Zero (sugar free) ? There is no note on bottle that regular one is for healthy people only ,but everyone knows that it should be avoided. If there is sugar in it then it is for healthy person only. Same is for product you buy: if product is listed in firmware release note then you should install it, otherwise, don't install it.

HDavidson

Do not make concept substitutions. It is demagoguery.
Where exactly did you see the FW marking - DX5 MQA or DX5 LITE? The only thing we see on the site is - Topping DX5.
Point.

Last edited:

4udio

My point was that if my model was not listed explicitly (full name with rev number) I would not install it. I would write to Topping support asking for clarification.

Trell

Major Contributor
If person has diabetes and wants to drink Coca Cola, should it buy regular or Coca Cola Zero (sugar free) ? There is no note on bottle that regular one is for healthy people only ,but everyone knows that it should be avoided. If there is sugar in it then it is for healthy person only. Same is for product you buy: if product is listed in firmware release note then you should install it, otherwise, don't install it.
The firmware updater could check if the firmware is valid for the device.

Or to use your analogy: Ask your valet to buy a Coke for you that you can drink, even if you’ve diabetes.

4udio

The firmware updater could check if the firmware is valid for the device.

Or to use your analogy: Ask your valet to buy a Coke for you that you can drink, even if you’ve diabetes.
Exactly. If you decide to trust your valet you accept that you might die if he makes mistake. When you make a choice to delegate your decision making to someone else you've intentionally accepted the risk. In this case, Topping's buggy software created an issue for you but simple email to Topping support could have spared you a trouble.
So responsibility is surely on their side but on yours also.

Last edited:

Metronomy

ÈArrived today, I connected everything but I don't feel anything from the jack 6.5 me from the xr/4.4

Am I doing something wrong?

Connected via usb and Apple lightning camera kit

Metronomy

ÈArrived today, I connected everything but I don't feel anything from the jack 6.5 me from the xr/4.4

Am I doing something wrong?

Connected via usb and Apple lightning camera kit
Ah how stupid I had the phone volume low.

But does it have a gain adjustment?

staticV3

Master Contributor
But does it have a gain adjustment?
See the product page
5642250.jpg

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it looks like I'm one of the sad or stupid few like @HDavidson , I didn't read this entire thread, but did notice that there were issues resolved via FW update for the DX5.

Got my DX5 Lite yesterday and immediately went to update FW.

The Topping page where you download the FW doesn't differentiate between MQA or Lite. It doesn't even mention that there are two versions. No model numbers aside from "DX5" are mentioned.

The FW update utility recognizes the DX5 Lite as a "DX5" and doesn't throw any warnings. The firmware update proceeds successfully... but the unit is bricked. It shows "incorrect FW ver" on the screen and that's it. I am able to enter DFU mode but that's all, I think.

As someone who used to write user manuals as part of my job in the audio business... this is not good documentation / UX, honestly. If there are two ALMOST IDENTICAL versions of the product, (distinguishable only by a sticker on the chassis!) then I shouldn't be able to disable one of the SKUs by correctly following the instructions for the wrong SKU.

Really hoping Topping is able to provide the old 1.08 FW so I can revert this to working order!!

Metronomy

I have a fight too and I don't see a big deal to wait a few weeks to do the update modified by Topping.

Top Bottom